Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #3961
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Any DIY tutorials on the actual way to check valves on this machine?
I looked at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtAtnt374PU. If you've done this sort of work before, it's a no-brainer.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #3962
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
I found a source for the connectors the pencil is pointing at in the picture.

If you look around their website, they also have the connectors for the turn signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #3963
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
skid plate!

hurry i need y'alls help! about a month ago i originally ordered one of the sweet hyde racing skid plates for the 500 but due to a problem with the material, they had to change the mold. well i'm leaving in about a week for one epic trip and i just can't wait any longer. i had to get a refund from hyde and now it's back to the drawing board.

this is where i need your help. i'd really appreciate some input on different brands you have tried out and whether or not i should go metal or plastic. there will be some rocks on the trip so i'm sort of leaning towards a metal plate but i'd like to go "plastic" if i can help it.

thanks fellas!

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #3964
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 775
www.slavensracing.com
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #3965
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
whether or not i should go metal or plastic. there will be some rocks on the trip so i'm sort of leaning towards a metal plate but i'd like to go "plastic" if i can help it.
My dealer, who rides as well as sells, said this was the way to go. One Dzus fastener and it's off for oil changes.

http://www.mx1west.com/acerbisskidplatektm-7.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #3966
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
thanks for the input nice_rumble, i was looking at that exact plate a little bit ago. i like the convenience factor but i'm a little timid about the plastic.

yahbo are you referring to the flatland racing skid plate? do you have any experience with these?

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #3967
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Bdsb

Best Dual Sport Bikes Recommends Shell Rotella Petroleum base 10-40 wt.

http://bestdualsportbikes.com/2012-13-ktm-350-exc-1/

"Best oil to use? Shell brand Rotella oil, petroleum base 10-40 wt. No competition here. Get in your auto parts store. Yes, I know it's diesel oil."

Why wouldn't a full synthetic be a better choice?

Anyone using the Shorai 14 amp battery. Stock battery is only a 5 amp. Stock weight is 5 lbs and the Shorai is 1.5 lbs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #3968
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:

"Best oil to use? Shell brand Rotella oil, petroleum base 10-40 wt. No competition here. Get in your auto parts store. Yes, I know it's diesel oil."

I read that on their website, and it makes me nervous. The manual recommends 10w-50 or 10W-60, and these bikes have hydraulic cam chain tensioners... I would want to at least use the factory recommended oil weight. I own a 350 EXC-F. I have only changed the oil once, so far, and I used Motorex 10W-50.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #3969
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
thanks for the input nice_rumble, i was looking at that exact plate a little bit ago. i like the convenience factor but i'm a little timid about the plastic.

yahbo are you referring to the flatland racing skid plate? do you have any experience with these?
I got the eLine carbon fiber unit and the thing is pretty stout. The clamps are easy to line up (although there are four) and it covers the motor and side cases well. I like it. Just a little lighter than an aluminum one, though.

I placed some pieces of Shorai battery packing foam in it at strategic spots and it's quiet. I have been running a Shorai for a few months and I run Shell Rotella 15/40 as that is what Rekluse recommends for their auto clutches. No issues yet. Approx 20 hours with the Rekluse and the Rotella oil.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #3970
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
I dont know why everyone is brainwashed about Rotella. Even at work they try to insist I use the Rotella 10w/40 NON synthetic in all the Generacs with more than 2 cylinders. I refuse. 5w/30 synthetic in everything per manufacturers specs. My personal vehicles as well which are all into the 170k mi mark get 5w/30 synt. As far as the bike goes I use Motorex 10w/50 in winter and 10w/60 in summer again per specs. I find the 10w/50 in the winter lets it shift a little easier. They recommend 10w/60 for harsh conditions. Both synthetic of course.

For skid plates I have the Enduro Engineering and it doesnt come off easy for oil changes but it has hole in it where you need to be that work just fine.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #3971
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Get the plastic hard parts one from ktm. Easy on/off, slicker on rocks and stuff you slide on, it will deflect under inpact and pop back into shape, lighter and cheaper than steel or alloy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #3972
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
hurry i need y'alls help! about a month ago i originally ordered one of the sweet hyde racing skid plates for the 500 but due to a problem with the material, they had to change the mold. well i'm leaving in about a week for one epic trip and i just can't wait any longer. i had to get a refund from hyde and now it's back to the drawing board.

this is where i need your help. i'd really appreciate some input on different brands you have tried out and whether or not i should go metal or plastic. there will be some rocks on the trip so i'm sort of leaning towards a metal plate but i'd like to go "plastic" if i can help it.

thanks fellas!
I am going to do a 1300 mile loop in Northern Nevada next month and wanted to get something that would not be tossed in a trash can at a gas station somewhere so I bought a Flatlander unit from Slavens. I also got the pipe guard. Both fit perfectly and will last many moons. I only have to remove 2 bolts to swing down the guard for oil changes and if I feel like that is too much, I can just do an oil change with it on as it has a hole to pull out the transmission strainer. I will let you know how it goes as I am due for a change before more riding this weekend.

This bike is bad ass! I love it!

Here are a few shots from yesterdays ride on the Lower Green Dot roads.

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #3973
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I found a source for the connectors the pencil is pointing at in the picture.

If you look around their website, they also have the connectors for the turn signals.
Good find.
KTM wants $18.00 for that connector.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #3974
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:

Anyone using the Shorai 14 amp battery. Stock battery is only a 5 amp. Stock weight is 5 lbs and the Shorai is 1.5 lbs.
I use Mobile 1 15-50 full synthetic auto oil year round and change it every 15 - 25 hours depending on how hard I ride. Available at Walmart.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #3975
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
I found 2 of the 4 to be tight at 6 hours when i checked. I am going to do another check on them, seems they will stay put once they are set.

I believe it has been posted that the shims from the V-Rod are the same diameter and they come in more thickness options and less money. Not sure as i have never personally checked.
According to the fiche, 08-11 bikes and the 12-up 500s use the same shims, and yes, V-Rod shims are the right size and come in more sizes (1/2 again increments I believe). I have a few V-Rod shims in my 530.