User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,506
Love those things!!

I'm happy to report that we don't get anywhere near that much snow here in Northern Illinois So a blade works fine. I plow about 300' of drive with a bit of a hill. More traction would be better, but it does get the job done.

kfs
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
for snow removal: gravely 5260 + plow + chains does mine now. if i would do it all over again, a good 4 wheeler + plow is the easiest way. have a backup 2 stage snowblower to clean it up/deal with stuff the plow has problems with. if i was gonna use a riding tractor, i'd be 4wd/weights/chains/cab/lotsa hp/blower attach....

for grass cutting i'm using a yamaha yt6800...i've been looking for a yazoo yt60 for cheap, but haven't found one yet. but i'm dumb, and prefer old goofy dangerous equipment.

a 4wd 4 wheeler with the right attachments could do everything you need, + more. but you'd be putting turf tires on for mowing etc.......

i'm mowing more grass than that, and my driveway is like 400 yards long or more....
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 08:34 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
In Iowa we usually get some decent snow......I did the same thing but decided to go used ATV.

I have $1500 in this machine....

Its a 2001 Suzuki 300 King Quad......came with a no name winch and blade......and new ITP Mud Lites all the way around. Its a clutchless 5 speed with 3 ranges in the transfer case.......super low, low and high. On super low despite the fact its only 300cc it will pull an insanely heavy load. I use it to pull my SUV out of the ditch year before last.

I found it so much MORE useful then a tractor for yard stuff.......but it doesnt mow grass for shit.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #19
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,997
That 317 is a really nice machine.

I have more in the tires than the original purchase price, I have the plow as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkelly
I found it so much MORE useful then a tractor for yard stuff.......but it doesnt mow grass for shit.
That's rub, mine isn't very fun on trails.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
That 317 is a really nice machine.

i have a 110 from about the same era (kohler). eventually gonna trade it off for something neato.... too small/underpowered for what i need it to do...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
chacha OP
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,680
Well that 317 from the first post was sold before I was finally back home from traveling.

But I did find a 1987 318 with mower deck, 4-way plow, and wheel weights. I also found a bagger system, dethatcher, tire chains and another mower deck. The seller would not sell the bagger without the mower but I have plans to clean up the deck and try to sell it later on.

Photobucket

This is the only shot I have of it right now. I didn't need to plow I just wanted to do a test run. Man is it fun.

My driveway is mostly flat except for two inclines. One before the garage and then down where the driveway meets the street. The only time I spun the wheels is while trying to back up the incline to the garage from a stand still. So I will need the wheel weights put on at some point.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Looks like a nice clean tractor!

You will most certainly need chains, weights may not be necessary. I don't have weights on my 425 and didn't on my 318. It worked fine most of the time.

Not sure what bagger you got, but if it's the one that runs off the PTO, it's awesome -- basically a giant shop vac. If that's the one you have, you can weld up a carrier for the back of the tractor to hold the weights that came with the bagger. More than enough to give traction.
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
chacha OP
CAT Herder

It's the powerflow bagger that runs off a secondary mower deck pulley. Has some frame work that bolts to the back then two cloth bags that hang from the frame. I know they have another style that is larger I think.

It does have some rust on it but nothing I can't clean up and fix over time.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

I had the one that is a big plastic box, fed by a fan that runs off the PTO -- different one than you have.

used to pull the input off and use it to vacuum up piles of leaves. Only downside was that the leaves were so chopped up they wouldn't burn very well.

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #25
chacha OP
CAT Herder

First real big storm hit yesterday about 9 inches or so. Some spots wind blown. Little tractor that could worked very well. I do think I need to replace the transmission suction tube. It's a soft pipe that I think has become brittle and doesn't seal well. I get a little oil spot underneath after I park it.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,238
How about an early 70's 110? Looks to be in good shape. No mower deck but it has a 2000lb winch on the front.

I just need something to pull a pull behind mower deck and a cart for firewood?

Something cool about older JDs. This would be for up my camp where it won't be completely secure.

$200 is the asking price.

I have an automatic atv but sometimes the grass gets way too tall and the atv overheats trying to go superslow over 3 acres of tall tall grass.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
How about an early 70's 110? Looks to be in good shape. No mower deck but it has a 2000lb winch on the front.

I just need something to pull a pull behind mower deck and a cart for firewood?

Something cool about older JDs. This would be for up my camp where it won't be completely secure.

$200 is the asking price.

I have an automatic atv but sometimes the grass gets way too tall and the atv overheats trying to go superslow over 3 acres of tall tall grass.
The winch is probably worth $100.

go here to learn more than you'll ever need to know. It's the ADVrider of JD lawn tractors.

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #28
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

I brought it home yesterday. Apparently it was a good deal because there were lots of people wanting it. I was just lucky enough to email the owner first and he thought I should have dibs.

I'm happy with it. The variator is not working. Owner though that controlled the speed of the front PTO but I have come to find it is the speed of the tractor. I am going to take a look at it today.

I was looking at a new battery, belts and starter for my old Monkey Wards lawn tractor to get it working again. Much happier with this.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,997
Check that the center sheave of the variator is able to move freely. That's usually the culprit.

Sweet looking rig, BTW.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #30
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Check that the center sheave of the variator is able to move freely. That's usually the culprit.

Sweet looking rig, BTW.

Thanks, that was the problem. Got it free and adjusted as per instructions on the web.

The variator is either on or off right?

All the way back it slows down, forward it is faster. The clicks in the handle don't seem to back any difference. It is either on or off. Is that right?