User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thunder Bay

It really was silly of me to think that simply because I had left home the bike was going to stay together........

Ever since I put handlebar risers on in Sudbury (which BTW was a brilliant idea) the clutch and choke cables have tightened up, and whenever I made a real sharp left turn the bike would choke out and the clutch would pull in, destroying all hope of me going anywhere (NO turning left in parking lots!!! lol). So I tore the bike apart in order to re-route the cables. Because of this and other things I had to do such as set up my tent because it was raining when I had left Wawa the morning before, I decided to stay a day in Thunder Bay. I also needed to find a bolt for my windshield which had rattled out (I anticipate there will be a lot of this along the way).

While at the terry Fox Monument near the location which he was forced to stop his marathon due to recurring cancer, I met a lovely Swiss couple travelling across the country in their Wicked-Awesome-Crazy-Badass 4x4 RV. They were really interesting and nice people and even offered me some espresso and a Swiss biscuit (which were both delicious).

Prior to this trip they had spent 2 years touring South America and even made news in 3 South American newspapers!!! I believe you can read about their adventures somewhere here

Being on the road now for only 4 days, I am rapidly learning things about what I would do differently next time, things I did right this time, or simply things to consider:
1) Going with a buddy. I don't have any friends with enough time, money or the passion to want to do this right now, so that was out of the question, but it would be nice to have someone along with me to share the experience with. On the other hand, going alone gives the flexibility to go at your own pace, do the things you want, and tailor the trip the way you want it to be.

2) Luggage. Next time, I will try to save up some extra money for proper luggage. Not necessarily so that I can bring MORE stuff, because if I had more room I would likely just bring more useless crap, but BETTER luggage. For example: Lockable hard boxes for security (when travelling in sketchier places), or Waterproof soft bag such as wolfman for safety if planning on doing something more off-road oriented.

3) Gear. This is something I dished out the big bucks for (KLIM traverse) and have not regretted the decision for a moment. Also, high quality base layers (Icebreaker) is a completely suitable substitute for heated clothing. Others may disagree, but I am a warm person and not bothered by the cold too much. (more on this later)

4) Planning. A month was too short, but I don't think I would want TOO much longer to think about it. One of the best vacations I have been on was the perfect combination of organized things to do, and spare time to do whatever you felt like at the time. I feel a little on the unprepared side this trip, but it some ways it is exciting to have the unknown factor in there, and also makes your trip very flexible.

5) Buy a center stand. 'nough said.
Bambooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

F*&% you too Mother Nature

Again! It was friggen cold today! Cold?!?! FREEZING!!!
Here's a picture of me when I got to Dryden

Just kidding...That's not me, you can tell because the KLR has a Monoshock...other than that, the same

Thankfully, Dryden Rider was able to come by with a blow torch and unstick me from the bike.

In the previous post I said I don't mind the cold, yet now I'm complaining...the reason? Toes. I had 4 base layers of Merino on underneath my KLIM on my upper body, and 2 on my legs and I was completely and happily comfortable. But even with 2 pairs of thick socks on I could not for the life of me keep my toes warm. After approximately 60km my toes would be frozen and I would ride about 40km in complete pain until I got to a diner or gas station where I could thaw them out. Put the boots on, repeat. This is the reason I only made it to Dryden today instead of Kenora.
Here is an actual picture of the weather today. The camera doesn't do a good job of catching the snowflakes, but the OPP officer I was talking to today went as far to call it "white out" conditions... I think he was just being a big baby. I'm pretty sure every vehicle that passed me probably thought "holy crap! was that guy on a motorcycle?!??! he must be nucking futs!!!"

It was also windy out today which made driving a bit sketchy, but it kept the snow off the roads which kept them dry; so I wasn't too worried.

I was driving so fast today I traveled back in time!!!! WWWOOOOAAAAHHHH. NOT....

In the end, I enjoyed today. It's days like this that make the reward so much sweeter, and the sunny days so much sunnier. Without being able to experience crap like this, we'd have no idea how beautiful the good times can be.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 503
Just found this thread....

Good for you.

I'm over educated (Under graduate degrees in Mechanical and Aeronautics and my graduate studies are in aircraft structures). Been here in the PacNw for 25 years working as an Engineer ... you made a good choice IMHO I've had a lot of fun in my career.

I have yet to ride my bike up to Alaska. I have been up there many times to hike and trek.... Hoping to do the bike trip with my son soon. He is 17 years old.

I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventure.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #19
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Keep going buddy....you aren't out of Ontario yet! The worst part of the trip for me is trying to get out of our province, it takes forever!
Did you buy water proof foot booties for your boots? If so wear them to keep the wind out of your boots, it does help bigtime! If not get some plestic bags and wear those taped over your boots when in really cold areas. The rerouting of your cables is a pain but route them under the bars not over and reroute them infront of the stem tighter. I have the 1 1/2" risers and it works well.

Keep up the great R/R it's great to hear your adventure.....
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
NightProwler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Awesome report so far . I hope the weather gets better for you ! I will be making my trek starting in july and hopefully the snow is gone by -then
NightProwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Good report dude! I have to agree with the above comments: find some waterproof boot covers. I did the Alaska thing and even if it was not raining, they made a big difference in lowering the convectional heat transfer. you also may want to consider taking off a layer of socks... My time climbing mountains has taught me that there is a goldilocks zone for number of socks to keep your feet warm. Too little and you obviously have no insulation. Too many and the fabric gets compressed inside your boots and air doesn't get heated up because the material can't "loft" and reach it's insulating specs.

okay okay. I nerded out on you there. But I'm also a 25 year old ME with a bike, so I can relate.

Also, a note on the loneliness: Persevere. It is going to come and go, but you always get through those dark times. By going alone you also have the benefit of being more "approachable" when you stop somewhere. I've traveled alone for.... 2 years? There are some viciously dark times, but you always come out on top and there is no lack of good people out there to help you out, whether you know them or not.

Good luck!
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,195
Snow...

It started to snow here just after you left and snowed all day sometimes heavy but didn't stay on the ground. Had you waited a bit longer to leave, you still might be in that nice warm camper

Glad you at least made Dryden! Carry on...
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
DrydenRider
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
It started to snow here just after you left and snowed all day sometimes heavy but didn't stay on the ground. Had you waited a bit longer to leave, you still might be in that nice warm camper

Glad you at least made Dryden! Carry on...
Yes he stayed with us last night. Sunny here this am so he is on his way to Winnipeg. Got the obligatory photo with the moose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect

DrydenRider screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 01:13 PM
DrydenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
Hey Jeff.

Looks like the rest of the norhtern Ontario boys took good care of you on your way through.

Ontario expands when it's cold out and it takes forever to get out

I always carry a few of those chemical heater pouches for surprise cold weather.

Glad you decided to start a ride report
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports

FINNDIAN screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 04:45 PM
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #25
DrydenRider
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,785
Keep running because this is what you are running away from! Posted by nofate out of Chapleau today

DrydenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Keep running because this is what you are running away from! Posted by nofate out of Chapleau today

Uhhh...Alaska might look like that too
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 341
Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #28
Laros
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Also subscribed.

I am planning to leave from Toronto area August 2 - go up around Lake Superior, then across the bottom of the Prairies on back roads as much as possible, then straight north through the Rockies to northern BC.

I will be watching your thread with much interest!!!!!!

Canucks Exploring Nicaragua
James Bay 2009
The Heart of Algonquin Park 2010
Outerbanks and The Smokies
Laros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

I plan on camping as soon as I can no longer find people to bunk with . Part of this trip is that I wanted to put myself out there and meet new people; so far things have been great! Once I pass Edmonton, I don't have much planned, I was also I formed of some nice places to stay from Dryden Rider and his buddy. Ill try to give updates and reviews on the places I stay when I can!
And good on you two for doing the trip! Many might say the 450 is too small, but I think if you take your time it should be a very awesome trip! And besides, the klr probably doesn't move too much quicker.

Bambooda screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 07:41 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

The leafs were just eliminated from the playoffs :(.... Screw this, I'm goin' home...