Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #46
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
most folks I ride with share at dinner, and we come up with some pretty good food, but I'm gonna pass at tuna fish on crackers mixed with dry oatmeal followed by a power bar!
hmm good point, it doesnt sound great to me either. to some people eating is just refuelling, to others (like me) its one of their favourite hobbies

never thought about sharing cooking in a group before, we just do our own seperate thing. personally i usually eat straight out of the pan anyway, camp meals are simple, anything more complicated happens in the pub. there are few proper wilderness areas here that need you to fend for yourself more than one or two meals in a row
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #47
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
buy at Sam's wholesale .. precooked bacon, excellent quality for $9 for 20oz ... much better than $19 for 9oz. got 6-8 bags on hand at any given time for emergency rations. spinkle on salads or fried potatoes or snak or whatever to keep bacon in rotation ... mmmm Good..

don't know what claimed shelf life is .. but have used packages 2-3 years old with little to no degradation of quality.

or 72 slices for $10

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hormel-....ip?navAction=

Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #48
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Package of ham, cheese, crackers.

Beef jerky. Jack Daniels.

No plates, pots or pans nor utensils.

If I want anything more than this I pull out my credit card at a local's cafe and have a (hopefully) pretty young girl bring me real food.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #49
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Quote:
I'm not going anywhere "remote" with anyone that has replied so far, your food sucks!
Quote:
most folks I ride with share at dinner, and we come up with some pretty good food, but I'm gonna pass at tuna fish on crackers mixed with dry oatmeal followed by a power bar!

Apparently your idea of remote is different from most.

Cold bottled beer? Chips? Fresh meat and veggies? Grill?

I don't think I'd want to go on a "remote" ride with you, either. Where's that, the local state park?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #50
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,479
I've done plenty of good eating at remote campsites,as well as state parks wiseass, just happened to have those pics handy. just because your in the boonies doesn't mean you have to eat tree bark.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #51
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
I've done plenty of good eating at remote campsites,as well as state parks wiseass, just happened to have those pics handy. just because your in the boonies doesn't mean you have to eat tree bark.
You haven't contributed anything to this thread except to tell us that you wouldn't eat what everyone here has posted. You then post pictures of fresh meat, veggies, and seafood along with cold beer at a non-remote campsite with a large grill over the metal fire pit.

If this is indeed what you eat on a remote trip, than at least make that clear, and give us an idea of what and how you pack food, which seems so vastly different than what everyone else has posted. You've effectively snubbed your nose at all of the suggestions... Which would be cool, if only you had given some useful information on how you pack food for a remote trip.

As it is, this looks like a great selection of food, but hardly what one would pack for a remote trip. I've eaten plenty of great food camping... But only when I'm in a car with a cooler or close to a store where I can get fresh stuff... Which wouldn't really qualify as remote... Unless you have a different idea of remote than most of us.

Not trying to bust your balls... Just looking for useful on-topic info.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #52
bikerfish
flyfishandride

sorry for the confusion, I do carry a couple backpacking meals in the saddlebag, but I really don't like them, only there as a last alternative, I find them too salty, and I can't carry enough beer to wash them down! my point being, even in remote areas, one can eat well with a little thought, stock up at the last gas stop, like said above, if there's gas, chances are there's gonna be food and beer. Some folks just don't like to cook after riding, that's fine, but I'm gonna try like hell to cook up something tasty and fresh. I do carry a small grill (cookie cooling rack!) when I'm in the boonies, and I always have a campstove, though cooking over a fire is always nicer, slower, and allows plenty of drinking time before dinner.
lots of good backpacking do-it yourself food ideas out there that transfer well to bike use, I'll try to find the websites, been a while since I've looked any up, but a quick google search should turn up some sites.

my reply about not going into remote areas with these folks was supposed to be sarcastic, I'm sure they are all fine people and fun to ride with, I just like to eat good as well!

for what it's worth, I do a bit of backpacking also, so I have an idea what it takes to eat in the wilderness, and how it sucks to carry it all on your back! using a bike is like having a pickup truck!

bikerfish screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 03:10 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #53
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,207
Thanks for the reply, and a little more info on how you go about it! Variety is always nice.

Speaking of small grills, has anyone tried the Grilliput?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #54
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Thanks for the reply, and a little more info on how you go about it! Variety is always nice.

Speaking of small grills, has anyone tried the Grilliput?
No experience with that grill but they have been often talked about on the forum. They have mixed reviews, obviously compact but many find it finicky to put together. I usually take a small rigid bbq grill 12"12".

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
bikerfish
flyfishandride

yeah, not sure about packing it back up after it's coated with burnt meat slime and such, plus, I'd probably lose half the pieces!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #56
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
yeah, not sure about packing it back up after it's coated with burnt meat slime and such, plus, I'd probably lose half the pieces!
leave it on the fire and burn the goo off, then just shake the ash off. it doesnt really matter if it gets caked up, all the bits fit inside one tube and goes in a clean plastic bag. its a bit fussy to put up/take down
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #57
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,243
alky stove to boil water

small square backpacking skillet
small backpacking cookset ( stove+fuel + windscreen+matches fit inside here)

I buy this and repackage into smaller amounts, or buy the microwave cups and just use hot water in them

yellow squash/onion/butter/tobbasco in skillet on camp fire

Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #58
wildlandbill
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Talking Mountain House Meals

Costco in the area has been selling boxes of 10 Mountain House meals for just under $50. They're easy to fix with just hot water. I always bring along extra spices to add. Plus I usually stop when I can and try to pick up some fresh fruit to add, otherwise I use the dehydrated/freeze dried kind. Everything is always better with a reasonable amount of Oban.
wildlandbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #59
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,002
I always try to have soy packets from Chinese places and hot sauce.

Makes instant stuff way mo better.