Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #106
swampyvt
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I had no issues with the rear hooking up and the bike going where I wanted it to go. I was mostly riding the dirt/gravel roads that parallel and cross the BRP South of Roanoke, VA.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
swampyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #107
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Look what I got

MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #108
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,387
Nice

Mount up ming and take the Capo up Bogus basin rd and see how they perform.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #109
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Mount up ming and take the Capo up Bogus basin rd and see how they perform.
I will in about 1000 miles! still got quite a bit of life on my tourances. But bogus to robie creek is a great ride!
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #110
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,934
OK here is my experience, just got back from a week in the Smokey's tearing up the twisties with some dirt thrown in.

2270 miles, and the tires are half way to the wear bars. Measured near the wear bars, started with 9 1/2 rear, now at 6. Front, started at 6 and at 4 front now.

Elephants are LONG gone, even wearing the ridge where the sidewall meets the tread surface, and NO slips at all in the dry, a couple in some nasty wet and moss, that set another rider on Tourances grabbing some seat with his sphincter. A fair amount of wet pavement, and no drama. Rode some dirt, loose gravel, and some steep gravel climbs, and was happy, I do not have a lot of dirt experiance to make a comparative judgement.

I was with another rider that had these on his new GS12H2........oh. It has rained every day since he picked it up a week ago, and in 2K miles says they are the best rain tire he has ridden. (he rides 30-60K miles/year)

Bottom line great tire, stuck as good as any sport tires (M-3, BT-016, Pilot Power 2ct, Pilot Road 2ct) Heat up fast, wear EXCELLENT. Gave me confidence in dirt and seemed more immune to following the grooved chip seal that NC is fond of (those that ride there know what I am talking about)

And before you say the 5K I am projected to get sucks, the LONGEST I ever went on a set of tires on my R1100S was 2700, on a set of Pilot road 2ct's and I managed to clean off a set of Pirelli Corsa 3's in 3 days and 1100 miles, and both were BALD edge to edge, riding the same roads at the same spirited pace. Granted the F8GS is lighter, but I rode every bit as spirited. This is my tire of choice from this point forward for trips that will be 90% pavement.

Richard

PFFOG screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 08:07 PM
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #111
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

Now that is not most of us were expecting in the evolution of the Anakee.
Now how can that grip as good as the 2, especially when cornering on that front tire? I don't see much in the way of bitting edges when leaned over.

Be interesting to hear the test results. I'm wondering if Michelin is just adjusting this tires to focus more on the majority of riders who actually don't go off road and if they do it's easy & packed dirt. Most any tire grips on packed dirt & i'm thinking the even higher silica content will be like sand paper on packed dirt.

Are they really just selling a street tire here and competing with tires like the Dunlop TR91, Pirelli Scorpion Trail, Conti Trail Attack or Road Attack for the guy who has a 19" front wheel but really just rides on the street? My guess is they will corner incredible on the street.

That is cool if they then release another new tire that is more aggressive along the lines of the Shinko 705 or even Hiedenau K60 territory.
...and the real reason the Anakee 3 went more road biased

the new Michelin Anakee Wild
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877262

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #112
BluWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Put some on last week (well, Beemer Uber Alles put them on). Did about 300 miles in advance on a trip down to the Dragon this week. MUCH better on the highway then the TKC 80s.

When I got the TKCs over 80mph the bike would squirrel all over the place. The Anakee IIIs stay nice and rooted.

Will probably not see dirt for a coupla weeks. Will report back after they do.
BOA #166285
BluWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #113
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
...and the real reason the Anakee 3 went more road biased

the new Michelin Anakee Wild
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877262

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
My next tires! Well I'll probably wear 3 more rears out before these are available ...KTM 950 rider lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #114
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
I read somewhere that the Anakee 3 has a unique profile or cross-section ... for better turn in or something like that .... maybe not true... but in any event ...

My question: I'm ready for a new back tire, but still have lots of life left on current front tire - its the Tourance (not EXP) ... is going to handle screwy if I "mix-and-match" the A3 on the back and have a Metzeler Tourance on the front?

Probably not a great idea eh?

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 07:34 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #115
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I read somewhere that the Anakee 3 has a unique profile or cross-section ... for better turn in or something like that ....

So my question:
I'm ready for a new back tire, but still have lots of life left on current front tire - its the Tourance (not EXP) ... is going to handle screwy if I "mix-and-match" the A3 on the back and have a Metzeler Tourance on the front?

The manufacturers (bike and tire) will tell you you're going to die in a fiery crash if you mix tires but people do it all the time. Run a knobby front and an 80/20 tire on the back. I just picked up my new Anakee 3s yesterday and will be doing the same but in reverse. My front Battlewing is toast but the rear still has a lot of tread left. I normally just swap out both but I've got so much tread left on the Battle wing I can't bring myself to throw away a perfectly good tire.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #116
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I read somewhere that the Anakee 3 has a unique profile or cross-section ... for better turn in or something like that .... maybe not true... but in any event ...

My question: I'm ready for a new back tire, but still have lots of life left on current front tire - its the Tourance (not EXP) ... is going to handle screwy if I "mix-and-match" the A3 on the back and have a Metzeler Tourance on the front?

I've got an A3 on the back and a Pirelli Scorpion Trail on the front. After about 700 miles it seems to ride ok to me.Can't speak to the Tourance.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #117
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
The manufacturers (bike and tire) will tell you you're going to die in a fiery crash if you mix tires but people do it all the time. Run a knobby front and an 80/20 tire on the back. I just picked up my new Anakee 3s yesterday and will be doing the same but in reverse. My front Battlewing is toast but the rear still has a lot of tread left. I normally just swap out both but I've got so much tread left on the Battle wing I can't bring myself to throw away a perfectly good tire.
Lol. I was just pondering how the Anakee 3 would work on the rear of my KTM 990 with a T63 front. I'm in Az where I like the bite of a knobbie offroad, but would like something that will last longer than 2k miles in the rear. Yeah I know, it's a 990 and they eat rear tires. I also ride in sandy washes and need a knobbie front for that. The 990 has enough power that with the right application of throttle it can make its way through pretty much anything with enough momentum.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #118
VMSfan
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Repalced my Tourance with the Anakee III

I have about 3500 miles on a pair of the Anakee III. Just a tiny bit of flat spot along the crest is showing on the rear, but still plenty of deep tread left. Prior to that I had a set of Tourances.

90% of my riding has been highway. The other 10% was taking hard packed dirt and gravel roads with minimal mud.
I live in the Seattle WA area, so I have used these tires in a lot of both wet and dry conditions. I commute daily with a round trip of 64 miles (32 each way).

I paid about $340 for the pair at Cycle Gear, plus the $60 to have them mounted and balanced by them. Total out of pocket was about $400 - a huge savings of getting the same tires mounted and balanced at my local BMW dealership (close to $600).

I replaced the Tourance due to a flat and figured that I should get new sneakers on my GS as I had about 6000 miles on them.

In short. For my riding, the Anakee III is a great tire and I do prefer them over the Tourance.

For road performance, it is a smoother and quieter riding tire. In dry conditions, I can take it from edge to edge and have no problems with traction… it rides almost as good as a Michelin Pilot street tire. I say almost as it being a harder compound tire, it does take longer to warm up and even after some aggressive twisties, the tire is warm, but not hot like a Pilot would be.

Wet traction is better than the Tourance, but since it is a harder tire, tar patches and paint are slick when in an aggressive lean angle. In upright riding though, I feel that the Anakee’s do shed water better and when going through deeper puddles, I don’t get the hydroplaning experience anywhere near as bad as I would with the Tourances.

For the limited off road riding I have done, they are a stable tire and I do not feel any flex or torsion going over bigger rocks or ruts. In softer packed sand , I actually felt the Anakee’s tended to dig in better, especially at subtle lean angles and right themselves quickly.

In the muddy situations, if the mud is fairly superficial, I would put them on par with the Tourances, in the thicker deeper stuff, I think the Tourances will be better here. In fact, for more aggressive and varying off road terrain, the Tourances would be my choice.

I have noticed with the Anakee III, that once rear tire pressure gets to 35 PSI or less, the tire does give more of a “floating” sensation which I would not get on the Tourances. I use this though as the indicator to check my tire pressures and pump things up. I run pressures higher at 36 front, 42 rear.

I would agree with the majority of what people are saying about the Anakee, if 90% or greater of your riding time is on paved road, the Anakee III is the tire to get. If you do 70% paved and 30% packed dirt/sand/gravel…I would still choose the Anakee. If I was doing more offroad and had thicker and more challenging conditions, I would go for the Tourances. Anything more than that for off road bias, then get some knobbies.
VMSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #119
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
VMSFan:

THANKS for the ride report - very encouraging
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #120
jallenb
taking the backroads

Oddometer: 44
Thank you @VMSfan

Encouraging indeed. Where I live, I'm at least 80 road and 20 dirt just getting to the dirt. I really appreciate the feedback.
jallenb is offline   Reply With Quote