Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #17071
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
No, it doesn't stall, it's just quite low. My guess was also that the ecu controlled it, would have to tweak with a programmer.
You can adjust idle with TuneECU.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #17072
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
You can adjust idle with TuneECU.

Who has one of these in so-Cal????
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #17073
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Who has one of these in so-Cal????

The software is free, you just buy the cable off ebay for like $20. I'll try to find the seller I bought mine from. He was actually in my own town.

Edit, I bought this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-cable-fo...072d1e&vxp=mtr
Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #17074
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
The software is free, you just buy the cable off ebay for like $20. I'll try to find the seller I bought mine from. He was actually in my own town.
Really? Load it on a laptop and connect it to the bike?
What else does it do? Reads DTC's I'm sure, anything else?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #17075
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Really? Load it on a laptop and connect it to the bike?
What else does it do? Reads DTC's I'm sure, anything else?
http://www.tuneecu.com/

You can look at throttle body pressures to sync those. Update your map. Check error codes and clear them. Adjust temp your fan comes on I think. Correct speedo error. Maybe some other minor things. You can't reset your service indicator though. You need dealertool for that.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #17076
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
http://www.tuneecu.com/

You can look at throttle body pressures to sync those. Update your map. Check error codes and clear them. Adjust temp your fan comes on I think. Correct speedo error. Maybe some other minor things. You can't reset your service indicator though. You need dealertool for that.

Pretty cool. Downloaded the instructions, it's quite comprehensive. Not too complicated. Looks like you can change settings all the way through the throttle range. Stock map and arrow map available. I guess you need to load one of them in order to read a map on the bike. I'll re-read the instructions.

Lots of warnings...could blow up your motor.

Two sources for cables on ebay, ship from China - $18...worrisome. CJ Designs has them as well, $40 shipped.

Anybody have experience with either?

DealerTune for $100 on ebay as well.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #17077
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Pretty cool. Downloaded the instructions, it's quite comprehensive. Not too complicated. Looks like you can change settings all the way through the throttle range. Stock map and arrow map available. I guess you need to load one of them in order to read a map on the bike. I'll re-read the instructions.

Two sources for cables on ebay, ship from China - $18...worrisome. CJ Designs has them as well, $40 shipped.

The ebay link I posted above is where I got my cable. He is in Tucson. $20 shipped. Works fine.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #17078
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:

No experience with tuneecu but I do have DealerTool. I didn't have any desire to mess with the tune (Scorpion can w original tune) but I wanted the service options.

DT resets the service indicator, runs all kinds of diagnostic tests, allows tuning of the throttle bodies and best of all, opens the ABS valving to allow bleeding of the entire system.

Great service from DT and the initial purchase is linked to your VIN. Should you want it to work on multiple Triumph bikes, there is an additional fee from DT for unlimited VIN's.

Great product!
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #17079
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Have both dealertool and tuneecu. Prefer dt for servicing and just use tuneecu for map loading

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #17080
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:

Any of the cables on ebay which is compatible with VAG cars will work. I get the impression that anything sold for bikes is twice the price of those sold for cars. I think mine only cost 6.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #17081
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:

Yep. Don't go all willy nilly changing stuff! And make a backup of your current rom/tune.

I used this to upload the latest tune. No need bothering with dealer.

*tip, pull your headlight/taillight fuses when moving roms around as it can take a while and you don't want your voltage falling below the threshold while you're moving a rom.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #17082
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
I know it is mostly technical thread, but...
Just back from 2 weeks 6500 km rideout started in Belgium then France-Spain-Portugal and back to Belgium on my XC. Horrid weather half of the time (yes, snow in Spain, 0 degrees and rain, then rain and rain and bit of sunshine).
Tiger never even coughed wrong. Brilliant bike, not tiring, plenty fast, planted and generally best bike I had to the date. Only bike that had no technical problems in our group of 5 bikes.
Riding high speed in curvy road at full gale rain made me appreciate twice all of that endless controllable power and whole package.
I am not so pleased with stock Battlewings on my XC, but to be fair - I did not crash, so they worked. Time for Anakee 3 thou. Specially since I had caught seriously sized hardened screw into rear tyre flattening it almost instantly - ON HIGHWAY! At about 100-110 kmph. Was a bit of scary moment since I was in middle lane, but I stayed upright. BTW - 2 more cars stopped in same "pocket" on highway with same kind of screws in their tyres. I helped them to change wheels while waiting for my friend with help. :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #17083
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

*tip, pull your headlight/taillight fuses when moving roms around as it can take a while and you don't want your voltage falling below the threshold while you're moving a rom.
+1
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #17084
deeno360
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Question for you guys....What are yuor thoughts on paying the few hundred bucks for the extended warranty for the tigger??? I know some of you like Mark have 30,000 miles on them and no real 'issues' were commented....
Thanks guys for the feedback thus far....so far its one half dozen to the other it seems....more feedback would be appreciated!
deeno360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #17085
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Madstad Windscreen...

WOW...what a difference! Maybe the best money, in terms of comfort, spent on the Tiger so far...a toss up between the Madstad and the Rox Risers. Installation was quick and straightforward.

I got the 18" Adventure model and it's just right. I'm 5-10 and like to be able to look over, not through a windshield. With it set way out forward on the Tiger and in a low, but mid-angle position, I get a perfectly smooth airflow that just hits the top of my helmet. Smooth and quiet, no turbulence or buffeting! Really changes the character of the bike for putting down miles.

I was a little concerned about how it would hold up off-road in really bumpy sections, but it seems better than the stock windscreen. Perhaps the side brackets could be a little beefier, but some of the flex might be in the whole front end. The side winglets are a nice touch as well, tho they may come off in the Summer. It may be that they actually help by creating a low-pressure area that disperses some of the radiator airflow out to the side of the bike, we'll see.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote