ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #8881
atg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oddometer: 182
Gps

Many people have been complaining on how the GPS partially blocks the rpm counter. I am 6ft tall and I use my seat at the low position on the back and high on the front and have had the same problem.

At first I figure that if I change the GPS mount's angle the problem could be made less bothering. In fact I posted about this earlier on this topic. Just so no one needs to look it up, in short, I suggest loosening up the 4 screwws that hold it in place, twisting the mount the most apropriate angle and tightening the screws back snuggly but not overtight.

Eventhough this adjustment lessens considerably the problem, I was not fully satisfied with the results.

I thought that if I could bend the tube structure that holds the mount forward ( towards the riding direction ) , I could improve things considerably. In fact, I even placed an order at our local dealer for a new tube structure so I could try to bend it off the bike and, if all went through as I expected, I would then replace the original one mounted on the bike. This way, I figured, I would't risk anything.

I am not one of great patience and today I thought I would remove the GPS mount and, while sitting on the bike, I would push it forward to see if it would give in...

I have learn 2 things:

The first and most important to all that are bothered by this problem is that the way this tube structure is mounted on the bike allows for some play in its position. Perhaps this is result that the screws that hold it on the bike are not tight enough but in my case I got to move it forward in such a way that the GPS sits a little higher up, closer the windshield.
after pushing it forward, retightend the tube's holding screws and readjusted the GPS's angle.

Now I can see over the top of the rpm counter !

The second thing I have learned is that the tube structure is very strong as there was no way I could bent in forward when still mounted on the bike... Nice to know that it is so solid !

On monday I am cancealing my order for the tube structure !

Just thought I would share this info with those that are bothered by this problem.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #8882
Aggroman
Adventurer
 
Aggroman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Many people have been complaining on how the GPS partially blocks the rpm counter. I am 6ft tall and I use my seat at the low position on the back and high on the front and have had the same problem.

At first I figure that if I change the GPS mount's angle the problem could be made less bothering. In fact I posted about this earlier on this topic. Just so no one needs to look it up, in short, I suggest loosening up the 4 screwws that hold it in place, twisting the mount the most apropriate angle and tightening the screws back snuggly but not overtight.

Eventhough this adjustment lessens considerably the problem, I was not fully satisfied with the results.

I thought that if I could bend the tube structure that holds the mount forward ( towards the riding direction ) , I could improve things considerably. In fact, I even placed an order at our local dealer for a new tube structure so I could try to bend it off the bike and, if all went through as I expected, I would then replace the original one mounted on the bike. This way, I figured, I would't risk anything.

I am not one of great patience and today I thought I would remove the GPS mount and, while sitting on the bike, I would push it forward to see if it would give in...

I have learn 2 things:

The first and most important to all that are bothered by this problem is that the way this tube structure is mounted on the bike allows for some play in its position. Perhaps this is result that the screws that hold it on the bike are not tight enough but in my case I got to move it forward in such a way that the GPS sits a little higher up, closer the windshield.
after pushing it forward, retightend the tube's holding screws and readjusted the GPS's angle.

Now I can see over the top of the rpm counter !

The second thing I have learned is that the tube structure is very strong as there was no way I could bent in forward when still mounted on the bike... Nice to know that it is so solid !

On monday I am cancealing my order for the tube structure !

Just thought I would share this info with those that are bothered by this problem.

Andre
Thanks for the tip... really appreciate:

Live to ride
Aggroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #8883
HalB
Adventurer
 
HalB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 52
Did you like the video?
It was full of "front end vibrations" wasn't it?
None seemed weird to me though. Pretty normal wouldn't you say?
I think people that ride on dirt (esp. professionally) will tell you that steering dumpers are like the norm. So... maybe some people pushed the bike (because this bike wants you to push it) a bit more than their confidence level.[/QUOTE]

Yes great. Needed a gravol to watch it though!
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #8884
HalB
Adventurer
 
HalB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Maybe I was a bit grumpy at the time of response and maybe I was a little harsh. Frankly I took the post as more trolling which is irritating and pointless. If you truky werr asking an honest question I apologize.


With that said, I stand by my statement about their being tons of bikes out there with no issues that would indicate it being a death machine any more than any other bike ever made.
Thanks for the apology. Not sure what trolling is, but my inquiry was genuine, as the rumours were disconcerting. I certainly learned a lot from the responses and links, and my high confidence in BMW is intact.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #8885
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
Thanks for the apology. Not sure what trolling is, but my inquiry was genuine, as the rumours were disconcerting. I certainly learned a lot from the responses and links, and my high confidence in BMW is intact.
Trolling is where "jackasses" come along and say dumb stuff just to stir the pot. Oftentimes, it's things that have been addressed over and over again already. Hence my reaction.

The reality is every manufacturer has issues, especially with new bikes. The internet seems to make everything seem far worse than it really is though. When it comes to BMW, it seems there is a lynch mob of people just waiting to find some sort of fault. Not sure why, but minor things get turned into huge issues online. I wouldn't go so far as saying BMWs are the bulletproof bikes that many people believe, but then again they aren't going to fall apart if you push it across the garage either as many believe.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #8886
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hambonee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Western Washington
Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
The reality is every manufacturer has issues, especially with new bikes. The internet seems to make everything seem far worse than it really is though. When it comes to BMW, it seems there is a lynch mob of people just waiting to find some sort of fault. Not sure why
BMW is kinda king of the segment. Once something or someone holds that spot is seems others become micro focused on finding issue...

Not sure if it is jealousy, just being contrary, or what...but I am a newb with these bikes so my opinion matters little and I have little history to judge on...but damn..first impressions are nice on this bike
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #8887
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonee View Post
...but damn..first impressions are nice on this bike
Motorcycles are about pleasure. It it excites you, buy it and enjoy it!
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #8888
cjack
Studly Adventurer
 
cjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Motorcycles are about pleasure. It it excites you, buy it and enjoy it!
My dealer used to say "If you can't have fun owning a motorcycle, why ride one?"
__________________
My other bike is a BMW
Jack
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #8889
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,767
New article about Kevin Ash

New article about Kevin Ash in the Sunday Times of London. Unfortunately only the introduction is available without subscription. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1256677.ece
__________________
'13 R1200 GSW
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #8890
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tonopah's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: New River, AZ
Oddometer: 452
Has anyone installed an Akra or a Remus on the bike and if so, what do you think?
__________________
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again
Tonopah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #8891
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,741
For those in the US... where did BMW hide the evaporative canister?

I can't find it on the realoem parts breakdown.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #8892
I GS 1
I 90S I
 
I GS 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SI, New Zealand
Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
New article about Kevin Ash in the Sunday Times of London. Unfortunately only the introduction is available without subscription. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1256677.ece
A rather pathetic article I would say. Nick Rufford and Dominic Torbin are obviously a couple of "try hard" journalists trying to stir up a bit of sensationalism. It doesn't sound like they know anything about bikes or biking. I had to laugh at their one conclusion - " Evidence is now emerging that the £11,395 bike had a tendency to lurch violently in some circumstances, with a risk of the rider being thrown off — as happened to Ash". I wonder what they would make of someone riding a S1000RR?
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #8893
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
A rather pathetic article I would say. Nick Rufford and Dominic Torbin are obviously a couple of "try hard" journalists trying to stir up a bit of sensationalism. It doesn't sound like they know anything about bikes or biking. I had to laugh at their one conclusion - " Evidence is now emerging that the £11,395 bike had a tendency to lurch violently in some circumstances, with a risk of the rider being thrown off — as happened to Ash". I wonder what they would make of someone riding a S1000RR?
I think it's even more pathetic that the vast majority of journalists shied away from doing any investigative reporting on the accident so they could stay on BMW's good side.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #8894
Russ
.
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 15,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
Has anyone installed an Akra or a Remus on the bike and if so, what do you think?
I've fitted the Remus Hexacone titanium slip on, it sounds great and the bike feels like it's breathing better, really happy.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #8895
At adventure
AB
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I think it's even more pathetic that the vast majority of journalists shied away from doing any investigative reporting on the accident so they could stay on BMW's good side.
Mmmm makes you wonder? My bike (1800km with spoked rims) has developed a bit of a front end wobble in a straight line above 80km. Probably just needs a wheel balance but surprising given I have not taken it off road yet. I will get it checked out and report back. AB
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014