Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Well, since y'all didn't stop to render aid I hope that they did.
The cagers were not in any way involved in the "accident". The "biker" had plenty of other riders to help.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
The cagers were not in any way involved in the "accident". The "biker" had plenty of other riders to help.
Witnessing is being involved. You see an accident occur and you stop and render aid.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Witnessing is being involved. You see an accident occur and you stop and render aid.
Nope. In the United States (with a couple exceptions) you have no duty to assist strangers unless you had something to do with getting them into the situation. If you get in a wreck, you have to help the guy you hit, but if you see someone else get in a wreck, you have every right to keep going like it never happened.

Clearly, stopping to help someone is the right thing to do and I would hope everyone would do it. But in this country they have the right not to help.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #19
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
...I had a 30 year HD rider sliding the ass end of his FLHTC Classic all over the place during the quick stop exercise. ...
Actually, you had a one-year rider that's been doing the same thing for an additional 29-years.

Quote:
I'm not sure that they had any legal obligation to do so.

In addition, right or wrong, they thought that their safety was at risk.

So... I'm willing to cut them slack in this as the video evidence pretty much shows that they weren't the cause of the accident. Well, "accident," the rider made his choices and ran out of skill half way through the corner.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #20
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
Huh?
Just making sure everyone is paying attention.

I figured we needed a good non sequitur to go along with another "Shitty rider" thread.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Just making sure everyone is paying attention.

I figured we needed a good non sequitur to go along with another "Shitty rider" thread.
Haha! Seems like there are a lot of those around here. You can't say you like X bike without 20 people dog piling with reasons why it is a POS. Oh well, at least there are pics of a lot of different kinds of bikes.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
I agree! Rather than stop to help, run! I have met many a "biker" type, and we're just people. Let's get over the crap and help each other. The few "One-percenters" or outlaws are thankfully so few that a genuine helping hand is rarely met with bad results.
I agree with your point, but bear in mind the fear experienced by those cagers is what a lot of cruiser riders want. And I'm not talking about 1%, I'm talking about the at-least 50% who dress like pirates. Maybe it helps sometimes: "I'd better not turn left in front of *that* motorcyclist, he'll kick my ass...I'll cut off some nerd on a GS later instead." In this case it didn't help.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #23
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
I agree! Rather than stop to help, run! I have met many a "biker" type, and we're just people. Let's get over the crap and help each other. The few "One-percenters" or outlaws are thankfully so few that a genuine helping hand is rarely met with bad results.
Love the looks I get when I pull up to a broken down HD on the KTM and ask if they need any help. Usually I get the , followed by the, "My brother, uncle, cousin, old lady, is coming with a trailer?" Which I generally reply, "Sure you don't want me to take a look? I know my way around them." Which is an obvious ploy on my part to damage their fragile masculinity. :ymca

At which point I will keep on about my business, click into 2nd, and ride a wheelie off into the sunset.

In 27 years of riding on the street I have stopped for, I am quessing, over 50 fellow riders, in that time only 2 or 3 have accepted my offer of help. Two most memorable. A guy on an old iron head sporty probably 20 years ago, I was on my NX250, went and picked up a battery for him about 15 miles away. Second being a guy on a GS sometime around 1988, me riding my FZ600. Helped him tear the thing APART trying to find an electrical issue.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,203
Don't need no 'floor boards' ;round here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I never got the floorboard thing, or heel and toe shifters. .
I think it is is more comfortable. The pegs give you more ROM, which is nice too, but they also apply pressure on one spot of the foot.

Floorboards are more like simply sitting or stand, on solid ground, rather then the rung of a ladder.

You probably lose a little time getting you foot to the pedal, rather then just tapping your toe.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
How do you brake a second Harley with no rider on board, toe or heel?

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #27
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
I always pick my foot up off the peg/footboard. An ingrained habit from riding off road. I brace my knee/calf against the tank/frame (as taught by Gary Semics) and use the toe of the boot to apply the brake. Keeps the bumps from influencing braking. Been doing it for 20 years or so and I can stop as hard as anyone.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #28
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
Now wait. You say for dirt riding you take your foot OFF the peg (not a floorboard in this case) and use the toe of your foot/boot to apply the brake?

Interesting. I can see how it would isolate the bumps of off road riding from braking. Plus in a standing dirt bike position your weight is supported on your left foot (which makes shifting harder too). But for road riding I don't see the logic in it. On the road you're sitting on the seat during braking. If you lift your boot off the floorboard, you have all that leg weight, plus the lever action of your ankle and calf muscles, AND the large thigh muscles applying force on the brake pedal. Makes it difficult to modulate the rear brake with anything but brute force.

May work for you but I have not seen it proved by the 100's of ERC students I've had over the past 20 years.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #29
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,591
I think the best advice is just to get rid of the stupid things. I had the "pleasure" of riding a floorboard-and-heel-toe-shifter-equipped GL1500 once on a ride down to TN. It was terrible. Maybe if that's the only way you've ever known, and you're used to it, it's not so bad, but they definitely slowed down my response time for shifting and getting on the rear brake. It was very clumsy and just not a good setup. I would never put them on one of my own bikes, that's for sure. Not worth losing a considerable degree of control in exchange for a slight increase in comfort. Just my $.02.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #30
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
I agree. I feel footpegs are a much better control option. I work part time at a local BMW dealer and I do most of the demo rides with customers. Up until last year BMW was the only product line we carried. That changed when the dealership added Victory bikes.

I did a lot of demo rides on a Victory Cross Tour, and have to say the long floorboards and more open hip angle and knee angle has some merit. But I still don't like the bend the cruiser position puts my lower back into. However, after some acclimation to the floorboard/brake pedal setup, I got used to it. BUT! I did some practice stops with this (to me) unfamiliar braking setup, to find what worked best. I venture to guess most cruiser riders never practice anything other than crusiing/styling to make sure they look good.

In all though, my BMW with regular mid/rear footpegs is far better for control in my opinion.

Andyvh1959 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:02 PM
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote