Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #736
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,190
Did my first oil & filter change today....seemed pretty tame compared to all my KTM RFS oil changes
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #737
mwgak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Tr8

Thinking about getting an IRC TR8 for the rear and they sell both a 4.0 and a 4.5 with the 18. The 4.5 seems to be a closer match to the 140/80 but it seems a bit of overkill for this bike...anyone running a smaller rear?
mwgak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #738
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I would check the specs on the D606 and get whichever tire is closest but not smaller than that. I have the TR8 front on my TR650 and so far it has been a great dual sport tire. As the tire wears in I'm able to up the highway speed a bit. New, it was skittish up around 65 and 70. Now can run 75 80 and no issues. I think I'll be trying the TR8 rear sometime soon as well just to see how the mileage compares with the D606.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #739
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
I got the Pirelli MT21 on the front but I am not completely happy.

I have a pretty good T63 Michellin which I might peel on soon, it is less aggresive than the MT 21, it's a bit closer to the original Sahara so maybe less weave at speed?

Good luck with the "It's my thread" bit Hi5. I am afraid OP status does not equate to ownership. Heated coversation comes and goes.

If the guys a dick use the ignore button - problem solved.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #740
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Somebody has to sweep the floor occasionally, to keep the shop tidy.

That's all it is, nothing more. Don't take it quite that literal.

I can only assume he was not qualified on the subject, as we've not heard back. That's fine, it was an option given. It is considered a wise choice, under the circumstances.

Carryon.....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #741
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I was the same but after 2500km on the MT21 the wobble has gone and it feels pretty good. It's even improved on the gravel. I'm quite happy with it now.

That being said, I will still be trying something different next time.
Chuffa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #742
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,689
Somewhat OT, but I'm tire shopping for the fleet right now. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so all my parts are waiting on me when I get back from Asscrackistan next month.

I'm tracking the stock rear tire size on the Strada to be 140/80/17, is that correct? What make/model of tire is stock?

I don't recall what came stock on my bike since ordered spokies and K60's to Terra-fy it. However, I suspect I can repurpose the stock tire on my Bonneville hack instead of letting it dry-rot in my garage.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #743
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Dangit, I just realized my own stupidity. The Strada tire is tubeless and the Bonnie needs tubes.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #744
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Dangit, I just realized my own stupidity. The Strada tire is tubeless and the Bonnie needs tubes.
You are considering taking the old/stock Strada tire and putting it on the Bonnie, right?

There are no issues running a tube in a tubeless tire, go for it.

I would bet the stock tire on the bonnie is proably a "tubeless" tire
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #745
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
I have used a number of these and find after you wear a bit off the knobs,they settle down and work very well.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #746
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
You are considering taking the old/stock Strada tire and putting it on the Bonnie, right?

There are no issues running a tube in a tubeless tire, go for it.

I would bet the stock tire on the bonnie is proably a "tubeless" tire
Yep. Stocker is a Metzeler ME880 on a T100 with spoked wheels. Great tire, but not for hack duty. I want something with a flatter profile, but if I have the Strada tire sitting around, I might as well use it.

I've never had a bike with cast wheels, so I've never even messed with a tubeless tire before. I just figured since they always sold them as tubed or tubeless, that they weren't interchangeable.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #747
dirtykdx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Yep. Stocker is a Metzeler ME880 on a T100 with spoked wheels. Great tire, but not for hack duty. I want something with a flatter profile, but if I have the Strada tire sitting around, I might as well use it.

I've never had a bike with cast wheels, so I've never even messed with a tubeless tire before. I just figured since they always sold them as tubed or tubeless, that they weren't interchangeable.
Yep, it'll work just fine. Supermotos are a prime example, I've yet to see a 150 slick labeled for tubes. Also, Dunlop 803s are tubeless trials tires that are used all the time with tubes on dirt bikes. Tubeless are just a bitch to install/remove as they're much tighter on the bead of the rim.
dirtykdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #748
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Interestingly the damping is quasi adjustable like most forks by changing the viscosity rating rating of the oil. BUT here is the really good news....
The left and right forks take the compression and rebound separately. The right is compression and the left is rebound. That would allow you to have different viscosity oils for each and fine tune each exclusively.
That also makes tuning the forks after changing the spring rate easier as well.
Very interesting and the timing is perfect as this fatass (235 lbs + gear) is on a search for heavier fork springs.Having put close to 2k,mostly on rough rocky mountain roads and rougher stuff,the forks are bottoming very easily and the rider sag is 40% or more of the total travel.I have added some oil to them and it helped quite a bit,but not enough.

Changing the oil weight also had me worried as the rebound felt OK and was not interested in screwing it with the heavier oil ,but with this new info,it looks more promising.

Please feel free to post your project,off road or on,I'm sure it will benefit most of us
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #749
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtykdx View Post
Yep, it'll work just fine. Supermotos are a prime example, I've yet to see a 150 slick labeled for tubes. Also, Dunlop 803s are tubeless trials tires that are used all the time with tubes on dirt bikes. Tubeless are just a bitch to install/remove as they're much tighter on the bead of the rim.
Awesome. Thanks. End hijack.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #750
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjet View Post
Krussel inter alia:
The left and right forks take the compression and rebound separately. The right is compression and the left is rebound. .
Hey, I finally got the courage to ask a question that qualifies for the New Owners Stupid Questions Thread. Actually it is two related stupid questions.
1. Is different left/right front shock properties common, or did a common part get installed upside-down?

2. Could this asymmetric characteristic be contributing the the dynamic wobble some are reporting?

Do I get bonus dummy points for not being able to count since there are actually three questions hidden in there? Oops, now four questions.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote