Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,421

I guess it is as good a time as any to start our race report.

However, I must first acknowledge the deep sorrow our whole team felt upon hearing of the death of fellow M1K competitor, and ADVrider, Jimmy Stocker. This year's Mexican 1000 had a definite "more aggressive" feel to it compared to the past two years. I believe that NORRA is struggling with an identity problem; is it a laid-back rally with a vintage flavor, or is it going to be a mini-Dakar where the mentality to win is as strong as the Baja 1000? Even the course this year was nastier than year's past and many a Class 1 buggy and Trophy Truck lay broken by the side of the course. I guess that is something they will need to figure out at some point.

Tech Inspection - April 27, 2013

The drive from the Dude's house to the border went without incident. The Subaru was loaded to the gills because Luke and Allan said they had no room to carry any of my spares. Thankfully they did have room to carry my two crewmembers, Cory and David, and agreed to drop them off with the Dude who would be waiting at Chapala.

In the line-up for tech inspection at the old Mexicali Bull Ring

No photos but the Subie zipped through tech inspection.

Laura and I then attended Anders' and Ken's poolside rally and roadbook meeting. Some good information that was mostly later repeated at the rider's meeting at the bull ring.

Going through our photos, I realize that we really didn't take that many...and the gopro was never even turned on We were too busy staying focused at the job at hand rather than documenting it...we'll try harder next time.

There was no work needed to do on the car and since we had such a late start time (last), I figured I would just fill the car up the next day, rather than cruise around Mexicali at night. We would use Pemex Premium when available and Regular when it wasn't. **Spoiler Alert** We had no fuel related issues at all and in fact I will argue that the Mexican gas from Pemex (not from jugs at the side of the road) is better than US gas...at least it has no ethanol!

That evening, Laura went through the Roadbook with her highlighters and I made sure that the GPS files provided by NORRA were installed and working on my little Garmin Oregon and Laura's Ipad. I also had to download some map files of Baja so the Ipad would work because it is wifi only. The Dual GPS puck loaned to us by fellow ADVrider Simestd worked like a charm! (I’ll get that in the mail to you this week..thanks again for letting us use it!)

The car was put to bed in the parking lot below...

The next day, true hard-core international racers that we are, went to Starbucks for coffee..and La Casa del Whopper for a sammich....

Then the ceremonial start at the bull ring...

Then the short 20 mile or so drive on tarmac out to Laguna Salada, things were looking great and I was set to just clean this special and looked forward to the whole day!

But Baja had different plans for us...

oregoncoast screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 07:02 PM
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: