Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #271
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Youtube is not, of course, the perfect place to judge exhaust notes, but to my ears NOTHING can make this new V4 sound good.
I didn't watch the video. I was on the east end of Waterton Townsite, and watched an 800 or a 700 with a low restriction exhaust, accelerate away. Really liked the sound. But maybe they have a different cylinder firing order than the 1200.

But the love or hate of certain sounds, like Geddy Lee's voice, is very subjective.

Rinty screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:07 PM
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #272
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I just got back home from Honda Roadshow wher i tested the VFR1200.
First time i saw pictures of the VFR i almost puked, then i saw it in real life and i toght its not so bad looking after all, today i saw it in real life for my secound time and i actualy think it looks good.
Was realy looking forward to test it.
The seating position is very good and its lighter in tight corners then my ZX14, so far so good.
But what tha hell have thay done with the engine? I was so disapointed.
its was jerky at low speed crusing(PC might fix this) and under 4-5000rpm it was dead. It also was vibrating a lot. I drove it for 30min and the engine ruind the bike.
I had to punish it to realy get any power form it, i mean this is a damn 1200cc with 173HP! It suposed to have som damn tourq.
The clutch was heavy as hell and will have nightmares about geting in a stop and go traffic jam

I realy wanted to like this one, but the engine ruined it.
The VFR800 engine is so much better.

And yes my english sucks but so does the 1200cc V4
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #273
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Couldn't disagree more with your assessment of the 1200 V4. It's quickly becoming my favorite all-time powerplant of the bikes I've owned.

However, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and my hat is off to you for actually RIDING the bike before you levy criticism.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #274
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It was also vibrating a lot...Tom-Nor
This is odd, as the engine has perfect primary balance. I wonder if there wasn't something amiss with your test bike.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #275
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
I didn't watch the video. I was on the east end of Waterton Townsite, and watched an 800 or a 700 with a low restriction exhaust, accelerate away. Really liked the sound. But maybe they have a different cylinder firing order than the 1200.

But the love or hate of certain sounds, like Geddy Lee's voice, is very subjective.

The 750 and 800 have a 90* V4. The 1200 has a 75* V4 with a different crank plane and firing order -- they sound NOTHING alike. The crank in the 1200 may be technically more "race derived" but it sounds like ass

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #276
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
This is odd, as the engine has perfect primary balance. I wonder if there wasn't something amiss with your test bike.
Ofcourse that could be the case, but i realy doubt it. It was a 2013 with bearly 3000miles on it. The vibration was defently from the engine.
A friend of mine that havent much riding exeperience that have a GPX600 from 89 said the exat same thing as me about the VFR. I give the VFR one more try next year but im pretty sure that it will be the same.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #277
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Couldn't disagree more with your assessment of the 1200 V4. It's quickly becoming my favorite all-time powerplant of the bikes I've owned.

However, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and my hat is off to you for actually RIDING the bike before you levy criticism.
Well i am sorry, i realy wanted to like this bike and i loved the chassi and the ergos but for me, i hate that engine. Cant help it but i was realy disapointed.
Lucky i got to drive the CB1000R right after and it put a stupid smil on my face
Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #278
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

I'd love to try one, but there's not many of them around here, and there's already one sport tourer in the garage.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #279
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
I'd love to try one, but there's not many of them around here, and there's already one sport tourer in the garage.
I am a bike fan, i dont care of what brand it is or what type. The roadshow are one of my favorit happenings, becouse you can test alot of difrent bikes you normaly dont see.
On the 22may its Suzukis turn and i hope they bring the B-king(they did last year) and the M109R/M1800R.
I have a litle thing for the M109R.
And ofcourse to test the GSR750 is a must
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #280
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
I just got back home from Honda Roadshow wher i tested the VFR1200.
First time i saw pictures of the VFR i almost puked, then i saw it in real life and i toght its not so bad looking after all, today i saw it in real life for my secound time and i actualy think it looks good.
Was realy looking forward to test it.
The seating position is very good and its lighter in tight corners then my ZX14, so far so good.
But what tha hell have thay done with the engine? I was so disapointed.
its was jerky at low speed crusing(PC might fix this) and under 4-5000rpm it was dead. It also was vibrating a lot. I drove it for 30min and the engine ruind the bike.
I had to punish it to realy get any power form it, i mean this is a damn 1200cc with 173HP! It suposed to have som damn tourq.
The clutch was heavy as hell and will have nightmares about geting in a stop and go traffic jam

I realy wanted to like this one, but the engine ruined it.
The VFR800 engine is so much better.

And yes my english sucks but so does the 1200cc V4
The bike comes with a brutal restrictor in the first two gears below 6K RPM. Bazazz sells a $70 part you plug in to make the bike think it is in 3rd gear when it is in first and second. It completely transformed my bike, and it's a damned shame that Honda engineered such a great engine and then intentionally screwed it up. The bike is far safer as well with the restrictor removed as you don't have the light-switch transition in the first two gears that Honda introduced to protect you from yourself..

And I never noticed a heavy clutch in my 14K....
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #281
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
I was completely put off by the fueling around 3-4K. What a joke, I mean if it got great mileage then I could excuse it perhaps but no, it gets crappy mileage and stumbles like a '98 ZX-9R with clogged carbs.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #282
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Side View Post
The bike comes with a brutal restrictor in the first two gears below 6K RPM. Bazazz sells a $70 part you plug in to make the bike think it is in 3rd gear when it is in first and second. It completely transformed my bike, and it's a damned shame that Honda engineered such a great engine and then intentionally screwed it up. The bike is far safer as well with the restrictor removed as you don't have the light-switch transition in the first two gears that Honda introduced to protect you from yourself..

And I never noticed a heavy clutch in my 14K....
It wasent just the first two gears, but when you mention it it might be worst in the first and secund. I tried 3-4 times in 6th gear to drop it to 50kmh and then give it full throttle agein, it didnt impress me at all. Id gladly cut of 10HP on top to get more tourq under 5000rpm.

I noticed that the clutch was haeavy in slow traffic and i dont think my left hand would have liked to get in to a traffic jam with that clutch.

Next year when Honda gets back with its roadshow il give one more try, but i rely have my doubts it will change my mind.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #283
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I really wanted to like this one, but...Tom-Nor
That happened to me a few years ago, when I demo'd one of the new BMW models (the name of which shall go unmentioned ) and came away very disappointed.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #284
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Try the DCT version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
It wasent just the first two gears, but when you mention it it might be worst in the first and secund. I tried 3-4 times in 6th gear to drop it to 50kmh and then give it full throttle agein, it didnt impress me at all. Id gladly cut of 10HP on top to get more tourq under 5000rpm.

I noticed that the clutch was haeavy in slow traffic and i dont think my left hand would have liked to get in to a traffic jam with that clutch.

Next year when Honda gets back with its roadshow il give one more try, but i rely have my doubts it will change my mind.
No worries about a heavy clutch with DCT. Test rode one last Friday, great smooth changes and quick- that was a 2010 one. I'd like to try the 2013 updated one, supposed to adapt to your riding style a little and have a 186 mile range.
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #285
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfm View Post
No worries about a heavy clutch with DCT. Test rode one last Friday, great smooth changes and quick- that was a 2010 one. I'd like to try the 2013 updated one, supposed to adapt to your riding style a little and have a 186 mile range.
Unfortantly they only had the manual. They had the VFR1200X with DTC, but i dint get to ride it.
Thers one in my town that got to test the VFR1200F DTC last year and he absolutely fell in love with it, so i was realy going in with a positive mind when i tested it.
The vibrations was real annoying and my friend who rode it right after me complained about it to. But it looks like from this post that we are the only two that have experienced it, so may it is that bike only, but i really doubt it.

The tourq could also be just that i am spoiled with a silky smooth engine with buckets of tourq all over the rev rang.
If i am at the Honda Roadshow again next year, il take it out for another spin.
I realy liked everything about it just not the engine and the clutch leaver.
The engine is a big part of a bike.
It will be the same thing as having a really good looking girlfriend, thats awsome in bed but is a real bitch. Sooner or later you cant take it no more