User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,002
Dakar Roadbook Question

I am writing this in order to track down the Dakar roadbook lengths. Obviously not every single roll but just to get a rough idea of what a big big roll looks like. I have asked a couple of inmates and waiting for feedback but what the heck... Somebody else may have access to this data which seem impossible even for Google to trace

Total kilometers will not do as it is not a good indicator of roll length so I will need either total number of tulips or total pages or roll diameter. I have seen 39 pages somewhere but cannot be sure as the roadbook picture did not have a proper name, so your feedback is much appreciated here...

D.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar measures 25 feet after editing. The tulips are not numbered. There are a total of "37" numbered pages. 8 liaison, 26 special and 3 liaison covering a total stage length of 782 kilometers/486 miles. Counting pages is not accurate for measuring chart length as there are approximately 4" gaps between the liaison pages and the special. I removed the stage summary/weigh-point notes and there has also been editing in the form of cutting/pasting course corrections that effect length.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com

BC61 screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 08:21 AM
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar measures 25 feet after editing. The tulips are not numbered. There are a total of "37" numbered pages. 8 liaison, 26 special and 3 liaison covering a total stage length of 782 kilometers/486 miles. Counting pages is not accurate for measuring chart length as there are approximately 4" gaps between the liaison pages and the special. I removed the stage summary/weigh-point notes and there has also been editing in the form of cutting/pasting course corrections that effect length.

Hi BC61 and many many thanks for the info...
I really appreciate it As I said for some reason these RB's are impossible to track unless someone has been there.... Anyways back to my calculator...

Indeed page number may be a little misleading but I always compensate on my calculations using a certain allowance (usually I add 2-3 meters to compensate). Therefore you say 37 pages (which in theory ibased on my own generated graphs is equal to approx 7.76 meters/ 25.4 feet or 32mm roll or 222 tulips - that is if we have no gaps at all). I can safely say that I have more than 160% allowance at the moment so we are on the right track (may be we are on the left, have to think about it ) as far as the transmission goes...

Back to the lab...
D.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,558
My roadbooks use the same size for each page and each box for the distance, tulip, and note as Dakar roadbooks. Some of my longer training roadbooks are about 13 meters long.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
My roadbooks use the same size for each page and each box for the distance, tulip, and note as Dakar roadbooks. Some of my longer training roadbooks are about 13 meters long.

Thanks Hogwild, appreciate the input