ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #2086
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,693
Respect, huh?



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #2087
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,693
with a little help from my friends

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #2088
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Respect, huh?



M
That ass in the mini van needs to be bitch slapped into next week.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #2089
joef
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joef's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Western Ct.
Oddometer: 428
For as much as the driver of the van was an ass the cyclist displayed his I'm going to control the traffic behavior, 2 wrongs don't make it right. Talk about the Hasidic mafia, were did they all come from so quickly
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #2090
filmfan
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
For as much as the driver of the van was an ass the cyclist displayed his I'm going to control the traffic behavior...
Not so much really.
Lane placement counts on bicycles like it does on motos, though different factors are at play.
On that road, if one is smart you ride far enough from the parked cars to avoid getting doored. Since that lane is relatively narrow otherwise, it puts the cyclist pretty much in the middle of the lane.
He moved over at the traffic light, he also moved in close to the parked cars at various times (other than the times the van was forcing him into the cars). It looked like he was also keeping a pretty brisk pace, probably at or pretty close to the legal speed limit, 25 - 30 mph seems likely for that road.
Clearly the guy in the van had no problem getting around the cyclist when he wanted to. All he needed to do was keep going instead of provoking a confrontation.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #2091
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Not so much really.
Lane placement counts on bicycles like it does on motos, though different factors are at play.
On that road, if one is smart you ride far enough from the parked cars to avoid getting doored. Since that lane is relatively narrow otherwise, it puts the cyclist pretty much in the middle of the lane.
He moved over at the traffic light, he also moved in close to the parked cars at various times (other than the times the van was forcing him into the cars). It looked like he was also keeping a pretty brisk pace, probably at or pretty close to the legal speed limit, 25 - 30 mph seems likely for that road.
Clearly the guy in the van had no problem getting around the cyclist when he wanted to. All he needed to do was keep going instead of provoking a confrontation.
I'm of a couple minds about that video now that someone's started talking about it.

On one hand there's the 'WTF?! eff you I'M riding here get over it!' thought that went thru my head the first time that the minivan tried to pinch the dood off.

Then there's the 'this guy in the minivan is obviously unstable, I'm gonna get the funk out of here thought. I probably would've jumped on the sidewalk first opportunity, ridden my ride, then got back on the road when said idiot was gone. Nothing's worth losing skin/life over.

HOWEVER that minivan would NOT have escaped with all its mirrors intact and probably a few nice scratches in the side *if* he came back at me after I'd tried to be the 'nice guy' first.

As I see it, the cyclist IS partially to blame in this one 'cause he keeps going after the dood in the minivan tries to assault him. Bascially its egging the dood in the minivan on. Not that I think the guy in the minivan is any kind of right in the altercation, but avoidance is better than confrontation.

*I* certainly wouldn't have gone between the minivan and parked cars. There's a whole lotta lane(s) to the left...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #2092
JRose
Studly Adventurer
 
JRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Birmingham, 'Murica
Oddometer: 627
A lot of the whiney bitches in this thread remind me of an old album title "Give me convince, or give me death".

Except in this instance, it's "give me convenience, or I'll dole out death".

You fucks make me sick. You'll put someone's life in danger because you have to lift your chubby little club foot off the gas for a few seconds, and inconvience your random day for a few seconds, or gasp.... A full minute or two.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #2093
joef
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joef's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Western Ct.
Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
A lot of the whiney bitches in this thread remind me of an old album title "Give me convince, or give me death".

Except in this instance, it's "give me convenience, or I'll dole out death".

You fucks make me sick. You'll put someone's life in danger because you have to lift your chubby little club foot off the gas for a few seconds, and inconvience your random day for a few seconds, or gasp.... A full minute or two.
Holy manischevits, what a whine, want some cheese with that
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #2094
JRose
Studly Adventurer
 
JRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Birmingham, 'Murica
Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
Holy manischevits, what a whine, want some cheese with that
When you've seen people ran off the road and seriously hurt on purpose, it's more than a "whine". It's more like a full fledged axe to grind.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #2095
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer
 
Tucson Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 561
to borrow a line from Full Metal Jacket

'...WHY AREN'T YOU STOMPING HIS GUTS OUT?...'
__________________
Tucson Jim

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #2096
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,693
Just to remind the non-cyclists where MCs came from:




Note the pedals.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #2097
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,693
Its not just me

So you don't have to 'wade thru' the blog: the admit game More specifically:
Quote:
If you come within 6 inches or a foot of a bicyclist, (or pedestrian for that matter), as you pass them, you were wrong, you screwed up. Any excuse, reason or justification you come up with, is all bulls#$%. Legally and morally if you pass that close to a vulnerable road user, you are wrong. Period. If you came that close by accident, you were either too distracted or too impatient to pass safely. If you came that close to try to make a point, you committed a violent felony, "recklessly endangering safety". You can't use your car as a weapon to impose your will on others.

If you think a bicyclist is doing something wrong call a cop. It's not for you to decide to run them off the road or scare them literally within inches of their life. It's not for you to disregard the law and all common sense.

To help you understand how wrong you were, imagine you actually hit the cyclist instead of just coming within inches of them. Now imagine the victim was a friend, relative, or co-worker. Would you go to the funeral and tell the family how sorry you were, but that it's really the victim's own fault and then give your list of excuses?
M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #2098
JRose
Studly Adventurer
 
JRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Birmingham, 'Murica
Oddometer: 627
There is no scenario where those who asshole cyclists are in the right. Not legally, morally, etc.

If you can't say that you would act the same way to your son or daughter who were riding a bike, or would be an advocate of someone else doing the same to your son or daughter, then you're just being a hillbilly ass redneck. Plain and simple.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #2099
Warin
Retired
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Note the pedals.
Pedals were banned for the Isle of Man TT motorcycle races from 1908?. They were though to give an unfair advantage.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #2100
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Pedals were banned for the Isle of Man TT motorcycle races from 1908?. They were though to give an unfair advantage.
I believe that was due to a Harley protest.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014