Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Go ride a Concours 14. You get as much power if not more than the zzr1200, fuel injection, shaft drive and some creature comforts. You can still put down close to 150hp to the wheel with light mods.
The ZZR1200 has 145HK on the rear wheel

Get the ZZR1200 or even better the ZX14
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #17
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
sounds great!

thanks for sharing.

be well.

rob

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
robfilms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
who knows someone who knows someone who might know someone who rides a zzr1200 in the metro nyc area?

northern nj/long island/hudson valley and ct are also in the mix.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

ymmv.

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,438
That was where I rode mine, total waste in this area. Of course, everyone must learn that on their own. If you lived in "big country" with no LEO presence it still doesn't make sense but it is less out of place.

You might enjoy it tremendously. I got tired of upshifting straight from 2nd to 6th to just burp it at still 2 or 3 times the limit in my head, forget the speed limits that are posted.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
A C14 is a cruise ship compared to the ZZR and will cost you twice as much. I say go for the ZZR, they are great bikes and you'll love the silky carbs getting on and off the throttle
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
robfilms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
any nyc metro area zzr1200 riders?

any nyc metro area zzr1200 riders?

i'm looking for you!

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
I've had my ZZR since I found a deal on it a year back. I was initially looking for another K1200RS, since I had one of those before I had off-street parking and only sold it because it kept getting knocked over in the street and $$$. But then I learned about the big Zed, which hit all the same basic requirements I had: big-bore sports-touring with a centerstand and hard bags that was capable of eating up highway miles and still holding its own in the turns. The technological simplicity appealed to me as well as the very low costs to insure.

It took a few mods to make it right. The stock seat is crap and becomes uncomfortable very quickly leading to monkey butt (for reference, I'm 6'3" 230lbs). I resolved that with a Corbin, which is hard as a washboard and wide and flat. It reminds me of the Corbin I had on a 900SS years ago, and is absolutely perfect. My bike came with Gen-Mar risers. I found I preferred the seating position without them, as it distributes the weight better between hands, feet, and rear end, and puts you more squarely in the air pocket created by the fairing.

The stock windshield is not useful for touring. I got an MRA Vario, which reminded me of the excellent adjustable windscreen that came stock with the K1200RS. Even with the low bars and the Vario in the uppermost position, I don't get as much coverage as on the K bike. Yesterday, I rode in a bit of rain and found that with the visor open I got a steady stream of it on my face, so I could still benefit from a slightly taller shield but I haven't found one yet.

Handling-wise I was initially disappointed. The steering felt heavy and slightly vague. After dialing in the front forks, removing the risers, and installing a fork brace (reluctantly, as I don't really believe in them) she is now razor-sharp, wonderfully stable and confidence-inspiring so long as you are respectful of the weight.

The motor is a thing of beauty. Torque and power abound everywhere. Even in 6th gear, roll-on from 60 to 100 is almost instantaneous. The sound is just terrific. Carburetion is perfect, as someone said previously. The brakes are brakes. There's nothing either great or bad about them. They work as you'd expect.

With the mods I've made, I can tour all day in comfort. I live in Brooklyn, so it takes me an hour on some very unfriendly slabs to get to someplace worth riding, and the big Zed covers this need very well. The comfort is complemented by very thoughtful, practical design. The mirrors are the best I've had on any sport bike. They're large, automotive-style mirrors on giant stalks and leave the rider with almost no blind spots. The lighting does not leave one wanting. I have the factory bag mounts and bags, which are Givi. They're not going to win any beauty awards, but they're big and practical and cheap to replace if you should break one.

I've had dozens of bikes over the last 18 years and this has become one of my favorites. I plan to keep it for a very long time. It's a very practical sport-tourer, fast, comfortable, and sporty. I'd have no qualms about either riding it coast-to-coast or strafing canyons on a day trip. I don't often go over the ton, because I like my life and my license the way they are, but being able to get out of harm's way is important to me and I consider having that power on tap a safety feature. The simplicity of the bike and ready availability of spare body and mechanical parts means it will be cheap to keep on the road for the many years I hope to spend with it.

You're welcome to come down to Brooklyn to check it out. I'd meet you out someplace but I don't get out much these days with a two year old son at home so I don't know when that would be next. I did manage to ride 300 miles just yesterday through Putnam and Dutchess counties and over the Connecticut border and it was a blast as always. ZZRs rule
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Perfect timing on this thread. Been looking the last two weeks. These came out while I was away from riding so I am only discovering them. Am happy with my 06 connie - which should also tell you my price point. Hard to find a better "value for badass" ratio out there than the zzr1200.

Maybe lower pegs, maybe bigger shield, maybe bags, maybe seat. Certainly get across Neb on my way to the mountains quicker than on my C10...

I am so jonesing. The more I read, the more so. Even the negative points to this bike are probably stronger than on my current ride - except for fairing coverage.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
tedbmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
New ZZR1200

The wife and I walk in a Kawasaki/Can Am dealer so she could test ride a Spyder. Sitting on the floor next to a ZX14 is a new 04 ZZr1200. Salesman says I'll give you a great deal on that. Two months later went back, still there. Put a deposit on it. Got a good deal little more than half the cost in 04. Should have it in my garage in a week or two.
tedbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #25
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Hard to imagine a bike sitting on the showroom floor for ten years! It's amazing how unpopular these bikes were in the US. I think they'll totally achieve cult status one day, but for now it's still very much a buyer's market.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
june/july 2012, i returned to riding after a 35 year lapse.

i bought a great craigslist bike-2006 kawasaki z750s (the de-tuned little brother of the z1000).

i have been very satisfied with this bike.

i road every three days all winter long and being in the metro nyc area for me that was an accomplishment.

i promised myself i wouldn't look at other bikes till i had more experience.

i broke that promise almost immediately and constantly look out for bandits and fz1s.

and then last week i discovered...the zzr1200.

now i'm in lust.

so, anyone know anyone who drives/drove a zzr1200 and wants to share their thoughts?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
I have a friend who has one. He may be putting it on the market since his wife gave him an ultimatum. It is indeed STOOOPID fast, but that is from my vantage point of his walking off and leaving me like my bike were nailed to the street, despite my throttle being opened all the way. I never had the opportunity to ride it, but there was nothing to indicate that it was anything but a terrain-following missile.

If he indicates he is looking for a buyer, I'll put a pointer to his contact info in this thread.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 165
zzr!!!

So my nephew came to visit on his ZZR since I'm stupid I went fast! since I live in El Paso there are no corners just straight lines and right angles So I went fast fast on the straights didn't get over 130 it made my heart pump fast and my eyes sparkle.Dont want to own it just borrow it and go to a place with corners
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote