Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #541
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I've had this happen to me a few times. Usually when the price I mentioned was so good that the agent thought I was trying to cheat on the taxes. On two of those ocasions, the agent called the seller, after searching for the ad online while I'm standing at the counter...

Not saying you should try to pay less taxes on a price lower then you actually paid, just make sure that you, the seller, and your paperwork all tell the same story.
That is a good point, I never had to deal with it but heard of at least three instances where the importer claimed a lower price and they checked with the seller.
One thing to consider is that our border peeps are not there to stall you, they want you out of their desk sooner than later hence don't go with hiding anything and you'll be fine
Old 05-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #542
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Latest news for importing bikes...just got it fresh from Canadian Tire Rep. We have to pay tire tax on imported vehicles new or used.

Another cheesy attempt to extort more monies from us.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #543
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
Latest news for importing bikes...just got it fresh from Canadian Tire Rep. We have to pay tire tax on imported vehicles new or used.

Another cheesy attempt to extort more monies from us.
I don't think that's anything new. I've paid it on cars in the past. The airconditioning levy too.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #544
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
I don't think that's anything new. I've paid it on cars in the past. The airconditioning levy too.
Ur probably correct..first I've heard for motorcycles however. No tire tax on my 2007 import Suzuki.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #545
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Might be repost..

After looking at what I thought was the official Border crossing for USA site which I found via "port of entry search" which yielded what looks like the correct site......ITS WRONG. Thank god I called to see if my fax came through. After talking to border agent she indeed said "yes" this is the correct phone number but way wrong on the fax ( she and I have no idea were first fax went??)

I was directed to this website..and second from the bottom is the border crossing link. Go via this link to your preferred crossing.

http://ucanimport.com/

You will have to print off border crossing worksheet ( easy) and then fax all documents required. They also stipulate in CAPS..do not call them to check on your fax, if there is a problem the border agents will call U. Whew..hope this helps..I am crossing this long weekend with 2012 GSA Triple Black.

I will let yah know.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #546
BTL
Summer 2 short.

The Triple Black GSA is Home!

It's all done. Imported GSA yesterday and all went according to plan.

Recall clearance faxed from dealership was all that was required!

Crossing at Sweetgrass was breeze, never even came out to look at bike.

Canadian side equally as nice, Border guy knew exactly where to look for compliance sticker and I filled out paperwork and was on my way in 15 min.

Another 5 min on line at RIV site to enter a few details, pay online the fee and fax off Form 1 to Riv.

I double checked the admissibly of my recall clearance fax and they said yes, no problems ( BMW Canada ...500$ ..see yah) its FREE, the way simple paperwork should be.

Left Milwaukee Wisconsin at 1pm on Friday the 17th and was home in driveway 8:30pm Monday the 20th.

Interesting amendment!! Heads up to Alberta Folks, if your motorcycle has more than 5000kms you must also have an out of province inspection regardless of the fact you just had Canadian Tire look at your bike. However, if you have less than 5000kms you can apply for an exception and this could take a few days. Lucky for me, I had less than 5000kms and bike has been approved without the silly out of province.

BTL screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:28 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #547
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
importing older ducati

I'm looking to import a 1991 851 Ducat. However the RIV website says:
1998 Models 916, 748, M750, M900, 900SS/CR & ST2
1999 AND 2000 Models SS750, SS900, M750, M900, 748, 996,
ST2 & ST4.
2001 Models SS750, SS900, M750, M900, 748, 996, ST2, ST4,
M600, V2/750S & Hyper Monster.
2002 and newer
All other inadmissible.

Is there any appeal process or is ther any way to get an olde bike admissable?
thanks
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #548
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
With the bike being 15 years and older you do not have to go through the RIV process. You simply pay the GST at the border.

Go on RIV's website to confirm or call them.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #549
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnewbie View Post
With the bike being 15 years and older you do not have to go through the RIV process. You simply pay the GST at the border.

Go on RIV's website to confirm or call them.

bmwnewbie
You are correct. Anything 15 yrs old or older can come in from any country, and RIV is bypassed.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #550
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 217
I have brought in 2 used BMWs and sort of had to study and relearn the process each time. It is doable but a bit of a pain.

The local BMW dealership in Edmonton (un named but there is only one . . . ) charged $500 for verifying there were no recalls. This was an act of usury and ruined my trust in them as supportive of owners, parts, sales. I protested and got some sarcastic verbiage back. They missed a chance to cement a good working relationship. They also drove me to deal exclusively with Bob's, Max's, and Beemer Boneyard for all parts possible, do my own wrenching and I won't buy new from them again because I can't trust their service, intentions, mark up, or warranty. I have retold this story to plenty of other riders as both great and poor service deserves to be discussed on these forums.

Be sure to get the recall letter for free in the US if going through a dealer.

You can save many thousands of dollars with some US purchases if you are willing to jump through a few hoops.

Lee

Frostback screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 06:39 PM
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #551
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,341
I've done this repeatedly with bikes and SUVs now. The longest I was ever at customs was three minutes. Once people figure out how easy this is and that vehicles are about half the price in the USA the government will find a way to close this loophole. Already in the newspaper here in Windsor I have seen an article about area car dealers asking Members of Parliament to prohibit it. For now the government has said they see no problem.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #552
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Recall letters from US dealers is FREE. The service rep in Milwaukee had no issues at all faxing to RIV for me. Very painless experience and I would send anyone to Milwaukee BMW for a deal on a used bike..
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #553
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 563
US customs in Alexandria will not accept a faxed copy of title. You must present the actual title 72 hours before you cross...
BMW CANADA sucks butt for charging $500 for the recall inspection too!
All in all, my import process was a breeze though

From my mobile
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/

BikerBobber screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 05:24 AM
BikerBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #554
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBobber View Post
BMW CANADA sucks butt for charging $500 for the recall inspection too!
Am I mistaken in thinking that BMW will honour remaining warranty on US vehicles in Canada if you get the $500 "inspection" done?
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #555
spuh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Inverto - reverso

Anyone with knowledge about the reverse : exporting a bike to the US? I'm looking into trading bikes with an American.
spuh is offline   Reply With Quote