ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 185 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #7786
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I wish someone was looking over my shoulder. Talking with this forum is as close as I can get. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #7787
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
I wish someone was looking over my shoulder. Talking with this forum is as close as I can get. chip
You could share your desktop through a remote session. I used to do that a lot when I worked on the help desk at a community college. Even Garmin took over my desktop last Fall to help me sort out a map upgrade issue.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #7788
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds good to me. Chip
Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #7789
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Bug found that crashes device

Hello, hope you are well.

I wonder if anybody else can replicate the same device crash as me. Or if its just specific to my device. I have detailed model and firmware version but may happen to other devices and map/firmware versions.

Montana 650t.
Firmware version 4.9
Europe CNNT 2013.10
Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR

power on device
Open draw
Select track manager
Open archived tracks
Choose a track
Click elevation plot
Scroll to a point in the elevation, I chose the highest point.
Click the three bars at the bottom, then view map
When map displays, click three bars at the bottom and choose setup map
Choose select map

BOOM, flash of white and powers off.

I don't think this is by design. I have no need to do the above key sequences while viewing a track but it crashes every time.

If anyone else could test this to see if its a global device issue or just mind. I would appreciate it.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #7790
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterD View Post
Hello, hope you are well.

I wonder if anybody else can replicate the same device crash as me. Or if its just specific to my device. I have detailed model and firmware version but may happen to other devices and map/firmware versions.

Montana 650t.
Firmware version 4.9
Europe CNNT 2013.10
Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR

power on device
Open draw
Select track manager
Open archived tracks
Choose a track
Click elevation plot
Scroll to a point in the elevation, I chose the highest point.
Click the three bars at the bottom, then view map
When map displays, click three bars at the bottom and choose setup map
Choose select map

BOOM, flash of white and powers off.

I don't think this is by design. I have no need to do the above key sequences while viewing a track but it crashes every time.

If anyone else could test this to see if its a global device issue or just mind. I would appreciate it.

Regards

Dave
Please report to Garmin Software Team as outlined here.

If I, or two more users can duplicate this, I will add it to the bug list at the Montana wiki.

Crash #17 Added.

atlas cached screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 04:39 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #7791
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,385
Reset the Ommeter

I tried a search and not getting any info. Does anyone know How to reset the Total Ometer? I can reset the Trip Ometer but the Total is not reseting.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #7792
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I tried a search and not getting any info. Does anyone know How to reset the Total Ometer? I can reset the Trip Ometer but the Total is not reseting.
Here is how but be very very careful

Select trip computer then the triple lined box at the bottom. Then select reset and " reset trip data"

DO NOT SELECT " Reset ALL Settings" like I did, this does the same as a master reset. It should not be there under trip computer, stupid frigging Garmin
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #7793
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Odometer reset requires a master reset of the gps unfortunately.

The info below is from the Garmin Montana Master Reset page.

Performing a master reset will reset all settings. While user data* are not likely to be erased, a backup of data is recommended; refer to the FAQ article "How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?" before performing the master reset.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #7794
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Here is how but be very very careful

Select trip computer then the triple lined box at the bottom. Then select reset and " reset trip data"

DO NOT SELECT " Reset ALL Settings" like I did, this does the same as a master reset. It should not be there under trip computer, stupid frigging Garmin
That won't reset the Odometer.

Here's another Garmin Help page on the subject.

"The Odometer data field will be an ongoing recording of all trips performed on device. This cannot be reset using the Reset Trip Data option. A master reset will be required to reset the Odometer. Click the appropriate link below for master reset instructions."
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #7795
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Thanks for the info on the reset. I was hoping for something else besides a master reset. But, looking like that's the only way to do it. I had already tried every thing else I've read on the matter.
Sheesh! I'm missing the 276C already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Odometer reset requires a master reset of the gps unfortunately.

The info below is from the Garmin Montana Master Reset page.

Performing a master reset will reset all settings. While user data* are not likely to be erased, a backup of data is recommended; refer to the FAQ article "How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?" before performing the master reset.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #7796
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the reset. I was hoping for something else besides a master reset. But, looking like that's the only way to do it. I had already tried every thing else I've read on the matter.
A reset on the Montana is far less disruptive than it would be on older gps units. Not much will change.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #7797
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
The greatest thing I miss about my 276 (vs. the Montana) are the routing tools, in particular searching POI's near a route and ability to manage multiple vias on-the-fly. I'm not sure why the Montana is limited to one via and why we can't search POI's near a route.

I'm continually hugely annoyed by not being able to do a "find" ("where-to") while map panning like *every* other POI unit I've had in the past. This bites me every day I use the unit.....

Other than those very annoying issues, there's not a lot about the 276 that were big improvements over the Montana IMO. The Montana takes too many presses to do a find....this really should be a menu item in the map page menu which would also deal with the horrible map panning "find" issue. I still like having buttons and think there is absolutely a place for them on GPS's, even those with touchscreens, but Apple has successfully shifted the paradigm on just about everything away from buttons.....although even the iPhone has more buttons than the Montana!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #7798
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

SteveAZ
I have never had a 276 but I have a similar 496 in the dash of my airplane to back up my Garmin aviation stack. In addition to the thing you pointed out I miss a couple of other features with the Montana. 1) Routes I down load from BC can't be reversed. If I lay out the route on the Montana I can reverse it. 2) If I have a route lets say with 10 waypoints and part way through I want to skip a waypoint and go to one farther down in the list I can't. On the 496 I can go to the route list pick any waypoint and go to it.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #7799
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Yes on wishing the Montana had buttons. With gloves, it is easy to just barely miss the + or - . I still have two 276's but only one working. I use it on the KLR for local roaming as it goes to 1.2 scale and still has max info. And ,. +/- buttons. Bought my first 176 in '95 and had been with that platform ever since.
I don't care for the Montana's drawn out search procedure for fuel station and motels.
But, with the 276 not even being able to be repaired by Garmin any more, may as well learn the Montana.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #7800
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
I don't care for the Montana's drawn out search procedure for fuel station and motels.
But you can set up shortcuts that will do these searches. I'm still learning my way through this thing but feel I'm getting better at it. It does have a steep learning curve...
FireDog45 is online now   Reply With Quote