Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
SIGINT OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Just riding in the SouthWest of Germany -- interrupting the daily routine

Time for the first post!

I have been lurking around for a while here, mainly enjoying all the nice ride reports and photos. Finally, I think that it is time to start contributing myself. But don't expect exceptional trips to the most remote places of this world. In this thread I will mainly report on short rides in my "backyard", the SouthWest of Germany. Even though I was born in Austria, I am based in Darmstadt right now (yes, the city in Germany near Frankfurt, not the town in Indiana ). Nevertheless I routinely use my Austrian background as an excuse to explore the Alps by bike; I plan to share some nice rides there with you as well. At the moment I ride a Fazer 8 and a WR 250R -- OK, I admit that one can debate whether riding a sportive bike is adventurous; but I do hope that the little WR counts.

Finally, spring time is here! Until April the only option was winter riding...

Stay tuned for the first ride report!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
SIGINT OP
n00b

Just riding in the SouthWest of Germany -- interrupting the daily routine

Darmstadt - Mosel - Hunsrück (May 1, 2013)

It is always a good idea to combine fun with work. Last week I had a business appointment in the little town of Nonnweiler, so I decided to take the bike and ride a short tour along the Mosel river on the day before; the area is certainly one of my favorites. Unfortunately the weather was not perfect; it stayed dry the whole day, but it was sort of misty. Somehow my camera could not cope well with this weather, so please excuse the quality of some of the pictures. I guess I need to get a better camera...

I left Darmstadt in the morning and headed west. The first obstacle was to cross the river Rhein. There are only a couple of bridges across the river, which would have meant riding a long detour. Luckily, there are a couple of ferry services still in existence.

After crossing the Rhein near Nierstein, the style of the landscape immediately changes: Wineyards are everywhere now. This part of Germany is really famous for its white wine...

For our American friends: in this part of Germany you can find lots of abandoned US barracks (the picture shows the one near Dexheim). Apparently the communities struggle with finding a new use for the old buildings...

Finally I reached the Mosel river. Wine is everywhere...

Time for some road food...

I am a big fan of local and traditional food. Arguably the most prominent dish in this part of Germany is the "Saumagen", a stuffed pig stomach. (In fact it is just a different way of making a sausage, despite its name). The dish used to be the favorite one of the former German chancellor Kohl; it even has a wikipedia page...

BTW: I refused to try the advertised local favorite "Maibowle" for obvious reasons; it too has a wikipedia page.

More wine...

... until I finally reached the small town Bernkastel-Kues with its famous market square.

Of course, there is also a medieval castle and more wine...

After following the river for some time, I headed southwards into the region called Hunsrück. It was time to say goodbye to the wine yards...

Again, the landscape changes tremendously. Lots of forests here... Unfortunately the weather did not really improve.

Does this count as a long and lonely highway? Somewhere in the forests near Morbach...

Finally I reached my destination for the day, a small hotel close to the town of Morbach. (And I finally had a chance to try the local wine. )

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures from the ride back to Darmstadt, as the weather did not really improve and I was in quite a hurry... Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the RR!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Lovin it bro!

Dude! Great photos and you are making homesick. My wife and I lived in Landstuhl for 4 years. looking forward to more.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Nice ride report and beautiful photos.

Incidentally, with regard to this:

"For our American friends: in this part of Germany you can find lots of abandoned US barracks (the picture shows the one near Dexheim). Apparently the communities struggle with finding a new use for the old buildings..."

Here in the States, many military bases have been closed within the last 20-25 years and we're struggling with the same thing...
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,800
keep it coming!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
SIGINT OP
n00b

Thanks! More is coming. I am planning a RR on a short day trip to the Odenwald and a longer one covering a ride to the Schwarzwald region, the French Alsace and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Dude! Great photos and you are making homesick. My wife and I lived in Landstuhl for 4 years. looking forward to more.
the region south of Kaiserslautern/Landstuhl. Stay tuned...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Thanks for the pics!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGINT View Post
Thanks! More is coming. I am planning a RR on a short day trip to the Odenwald and a longer one covering a ride to the Schwarzwald region, the French Alsace and ...

the region south of Kaiserslautern/Landstuhl. Stay tuned...

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
990 trailblazer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wow thanks for the pics, I worked at the ammo storage site, now a windmill farm, in morbach from 71/73 and lived in nearby wederath. The mosel river and the hunsruck is still one of my alltime favorite places. The summer wine festivals in the towns along the mosel were great intertainment.
990 trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
Head on over to Graf and I'll show you some great roads. Love the pics.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Awesome photos, they really take me back. I wish I had my bike with me when I was in Bamberg.

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Nice report!

I lived in Deutschland twice - for a total of 10 years.

First time I lived southeast of Frankfurt - about due west of Darmstadt in Dietzenbach, the Roedelheim (oe in place of o umlaut). Then we moved to Guam and then back to the K town area. Lived between Ramstein and Baumholder near Potzburg.

Nice pics!

J
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Big Red One
If yer gonna be one...

Oddometer: 213
Bitte weiter!

Love Germany but have never gotten to spend any time there. Someday...

Fortunately, I don't really need to.
Big Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
wisedog22
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Nice pics, the wine region is awesome. When you visit the Pfalzerwald, be sure to ride the B48 from Johanniskreuz to Rinnthal. There is new pavement on most of it and its a lot of fun to ride!
wisedog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Germany is just awesome!
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote