User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
BTW
The Canon G11, no regrets at all about bringing that camera as my primary. I love that little beast. Great pics. Never missed a beat.

And
I'd pull off the side of the road to snap pics every chance I could....
I had a hard time NOT stopping.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And the ride continued...

Found this crazy little cave, with a bar built in it. A little Mormon history, and a little hollywood history.

And when I got back to my room I enjoyed a local brew....Mormon Boobies on the bottle! Polygamy Porter. Love it.

And I head for Scottsdale Az tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,538
I'm here to watch your ride,I live in Redding if your near and the time is right Ill chase ya for a couple of miles.PM me
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I'm here to watch your ride,I live in Redding if your near and the time is right Ill chase ya for a couple of miles.PM me
Unfortunately Im already back home. I never was able to make the time to do a ride report on the road. Would of been awsome to meet some people on the road. Next year!

So now Im headed to Scottsdale.

This was cool. The cliff dwellers (?) I never know if this stuff is tourist trap shit or real. But if it was real, very cool.

Even if it isn't real its still cool.

The Colorado River

I think this is the Vermillion Cliffs

And lunch near Flagstaff.

I was starting to push it to get to my brothers house before evening so I didnt take any pics south of Flagstaff, but wish I had. I went down the Lake Mary Rd to the Beeline Hiway into Scottsdale. Pretty drive through High Desert. And AND! I stopped at a Circle K outside Flagstaff to gas up. The pump rolled up to .24cents and the meter stopped. The pump kept running but charged me .24 cents for a tank. I was racked with guilt! I imagine I'll get over it someday.

bkg123 screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 03:07 PM
bkg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And some quick Scottsdale/Yuma shots. Family visit for a few days.

Brothers Harley. For sale $4900.00 (Kevin, if someone here buys it, I get my finders fee)

Libations

I want one

Not so much maybe

chow
(and our server was a smokin young hottie, sorry no pic of that either. I suck at this)

And my new baby 'Brother'

Yuma

The Colorado again

And now onto California...
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I left Yuma on Monday morning headed to San Diego. I-8 was boring but not to long. Theres a stretch going through the mountains where the wind was crazy strong. I had to hunker down behind the windshield there for a bit. I decided to take Hwy 94 from Tule Lake past Otay Lake and into Chula Vista. I really didnt want to go to San Diego but I had to stop at the Border for a picture so I could officially say I'd been from South to North the whole way.

Plus, a bit of sentimental value. I did boot camp at the old NTC back in 1977, and I knew they had closed the old RTC down years ago, but wanted to see a bit of my youth, so here we have some of the old barracks, that the San Diego FD uses for training now

And heres the USS Recruit (The Neversail)

And the old bridge we used to have to march across

Last time I was in San Diego was about 1982. San Diego is quite a bit bigger then I remember it being then. I wanted to get headed for the coast and Hwy 1 so I lit on out of there. I had the thought that if I took I-15 North traffic might be thinner. I dont think that was the case. Traffic for mile after mile. Wow. So I started looking for side roads to get me there slower but saner. Honestly, I have no idea what road I ended up on, but it was sure better then the freeway.

Unfortunatly I ended up in Pomona at rush hour so I bailed for the nearest Super8 or one of those freeway boxes and hid out for the evening. Tomorrow morning I'd see San Luis Obispo and Hwy 1.

bkg123 screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 07:22 PM
bkg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome to Morro Bay

I left Pomona at about 5AM. L.A. Metro area is gigantic, huge, never-ending. Portland is just a little hick town compared to that place. Fortunatly, I was headed in the right direction. I think I stayed at about 70 most the way out of town, and the southbound lane of 101 was almost a freaking parking lot by the time I went through Santa Barbra. All you folks that live down there...My hats off to you on dealing with that stuff. Im hoping that was my last trip to L.A/San Diego. The rest of California was magnificent.

So finally, FINALLY Im headed up the coast. And when I started planning this trip last year Hwy 1 was what I really wanted do. So Now Im headed North.

So lunch in Morro Bay

And off to San Simeon and Hearst castle.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
bkg123 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok
Im just going to put all the Hearst Castle stuff in a stack here. Its good to be rich.

And my campsite that night