Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #166
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,205
I'm starting to mess with the suspension. I'm 185lbs, find the forks close on spring rate maybe tad firm, but rebound is slow (no adjustment). It was pogoing some, so ran the preload up on the shock to try to balance, that worked but I ended up with full preload to get correct sag.

front rider sag of 27mm (should be more like 35mm with 150mm travel).
rear is 38mm and about perfect, but I'm at full preload so none to add for 2up (want be doing much anyway).

Handling was much better, but high speed corners with bumps and uneven pavement unsettles the front slightly (again the slow rebound).

This motor is a dream, really sings above 4k on accel.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #167
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloadv View Post
it's an italian nc700x!

ouch!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #168
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,691
I love the ergos on the Hyper but the non-adjustable forks was a deciding factor for me. That trunk looks very familiar.

Thx...nlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I'm starting to mess with the suspension. I'm 185lbs, find the forks close on spring rate maybe tad firm, but rebound is slow (no adjustment)...

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #169
XLifeRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wink

Quote:
I'm starting to mess with the suspension. I'm 185lbs, find the forks close on spring rate maybe tad firm, but rebound is slow (no adjustment). It was pogoing some, so ran the preload up on the shock to try to balance, that worked but I ended up with full preload to get correct sag.

front rider sag of 27mm (should be more like 35mm with 150mm travel).
rear is 38mm and about perfect, but I'm at full preload so none to add for 2up (want be doing much anyway).

Handling was much better, but high speed corners with bumps and uneven pavement unsettles the front slightly (again the slow rebound).

This motor is a dream, really sings above 4k on accel.

Took a base model out for 2 20 min rides (also rode a Multi S and Panigale)going anywhere from 50km to triple digits speeds and I agree with the front end slow rebound comments.Sport mode was too much work in the city but thankfully that's why there are different modes.Turn signal switch was iffy and not robust feeling...maybe it wasn't up to spec or something.I would have to take out a Strada with the wind screen(or better aftermarket) before I decide to buy this bike because while it's great for commuting I would hope that I won't feel beat up doing 8-10 hour days on the highway.Not impressed with the semi rigid bags.Actually if I could get an SP and equipe it with a screen,heated grips and the 2 power outlets that the Strada has...all I would need is someone willing to swap the SP body work for just red off of theirs for a few dollars and I'll use the $ to slap on a set of Givis.I guess price wise I'll be close to the base Multi..decisions....

Btw how effective is the screen at highway speeds up between 65 and 75?

Tia

XLifeRider screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 11:27 AM
XLifeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #170
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Screen is not doing much, but shielding about my mid chest, clean air on the helmet tho. This will either wear your neck out, or you will become a bull over time at 80mph! I have been on I-20, it does fine with the trucks and junk, and can hustle along.

The topcase is my 36L givi off my Super Tenere. I kept the Alt-Rider topplate from Multi12, it bolts right up to the Strada and has monokey setup.

I'm getting 52-55 mpg, and it seems I can run anyway I wish without hurting the mpg much. On the Multi12 I always felt I was gonna run out if I didn't throttle back some. Bottom line, the Multi12 gets a few more miles to the tank.

update: I may have to change my guess that the Multi12 will get more miles to the tank. Filled up this morning, 176 miles took 3.4 gallons. That was 52 mpg about, and .6 of gallon left which should get you over 200 miles before empty and walking.

llamapacker screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 03:11 PM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #171
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Screen is not doing much, but shielding about my mid chest, clean air on the helmet tho. This will either wear your neck out, or you will become a bull over time at 80mph! I have been on I-20, it does fine with the trucks and junk, and can hustle along.

The topcase is my 36L givi off my Super Tenere. I kept the Alt-Rider topplate from Multi12, it bolts right up to the Strada and has monokey setup.

I'm getting 52-55 mpg, and it seems I can run anyway I wish without hurting the mpg much. On the Multi12 I always felt I was gonna run out if I didn't throttle back some. Bottom line, the Multi12 gets a few more miles to the tank.
So you went from a multi to st to hyper? the multi and the hyper are the 2 that have my interest, do you like the hyper more than the st and multi and why? Would love to hear some real world differences. From my understanding the multi feels narrow and much lighter than its listed weight, which is why it and the hyper have my interest.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #172
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
So you went from a multi to st to hyper? the multi and the hyper are the 2 that have my interest, do you like the hyper more than the st and multi and why? Would love to hear some real world differences. From my understanding the multi feels narrow and much lighter than its listed weight, which is why it and the hyper have my interest.
Actually I went from the Multi12 to the ST, then Triumph Street Triple "R". Traded the STR on the Strada. So, able to keep the ST and 2 bikes for awhile.

The multi12 is about 85 lbs more bike and 40 more hp plus lots better suspension even tho I had the base. I wouldn't hesitate to go back with the base again for 2013.

I am 5' 11" and 32" IS, would think this is the absolute max size for the HyperStrada and be comfortable enough to take a 2 or 3 day trip. The rear of the seat is the limiting factor.

The HyperStrada is light and much fun, motor sounds just like the Multi12 and really pulls. I imagine I could keep up with the Multi12 in the twisties, just not the sweepers maybe (think the bike could but not this rider).
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #173
fin reaper
Anything 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 10
Ducati Hyperstrada

I sold my 2011 Shiver a couple of months ago and had serious case of sellers remorse. Bought the Hyperstrada to share commuting duties with R1200GS. Thus far I am very happy with it. I'm my opinion it's better than the Shiver in almost every facet. But, the Shiver has a better sound and tolerates low rpm stuff a little better. It's also better on freeway at scofflaw speeds. Sellers remorse pretty well cured.
fin reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #174
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,288
Hey Llama what do you think about the suspension?

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #175
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Hey Llama what do you think about the suspension?
Just back from trip to Mena, Ar. 510 miles overall, lots of twisties mostly hwy 7 and 8. Handling was very good for OEM suspension and my two mods.

Ended up changing out the oil in both forks before I left for 5wt and cut 10mm off of preload spacers. Done! I'm happy with the front for now.
There is still a slight bit of studder on ripples at speed, and little harsh on sharp edge abrupt hits, but handling is really good.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #176
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

What kind of fuel economy did you get on that trip?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #177
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Good question, as I don't normally run with panniers. I was putting the fillups in Fuelly.com with my iphone, but did miss one.

Got 51.5 mpg going up and 49.7 coming home. We were cruising 65 - 70, and I was running backroads (2 lanes) with some twisties that I was enjoying!

We (wife's 696) filled up together, first stop I took 2.79 gallons, and she took 2.51 gallons for 143.6 miles.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #178
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

On page 8 of the owner’s manual is says “this motorcycle may be used on dirt roads or for off-road riding”

You have no excuse now!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #179
DeedsyDragon OP
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 102
A slew of new photos of the Hyper in action! Looks great.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...os/#more-43204
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #180
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Ok here's mine!

Sure is a lot of fun!