Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
compassexpeditions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Peru and Bolivia for 2014

Hi Rider,

I hope you don't mind us popping on here to say hello. As mentioned earlier in the thread we run some pretty amazing trips through Bolivia and Peru as well as further afield such as the trip that runs from coast to coast which is a bit of a longer journey. We'll be heading to the Sydney bike show so definately come up and say hi and we can answer any questions that you have. One of our staff lived and worked in Peru for several years based mainly in Cuzco and explored most of the country and a huge portion of that was on motorcycles rented in the area.

Its an incredible place to ride and the scenery is truly mind-blowing. The main thing is having something reliable and, depending on what you have planned, it certainly pays to be able to speak the language if you're heading away from the main centres. Our trips are one way trips so they do things like Lima to La Paz or the reverse, Atacama Desert (Chile) to Machu Picchu (Peru) and the coast to coast from Peru to Brazil and back. Our website shows the various trips we offer there and i'm sure there will be one there that may suit you. Groups are small in size but fully supported so that you can just focus on the riding and meeting others with similar interests. The majority of our trips are inter-country which gets rid of the hassle of crossing borders for you because it is taken care of by us and as others have said on the thread, arranging to take rental bikes across borders can be a headache.

The trips are relaxed so you ride at your own pace, there is always a support vehicle with you which means that you can ride just with the top box, a day pack and the rest of your luggage will be carried in the support vehicle. It makes the riding easier as there is less weight to throw around and means you can just enjoy the experience of being there. Our bikes are 2012/2013 BMW's (at this stage - they get updated every year) and they are all owned by us for that part of the world, well maintained and the support vehicle carries a wealth of spares in case they are needed.

So....depending on what you have in mind one of our trips could be perfect for you and we'd love to chat to you further about them. We are really proud of what we have achieved and really proud of our trips. We enjoy helping clients see parts of the world they have never been and the truth is the trips work. There is a real bonding experience with the others at the same time as being able to explore as you wish in the towns, etc. It can be like riding with a group of mates and if you have mates that want to ride the same trip as you then even better. You can relax and ride with you mates on good, reliable bikes and we take care of the rest.

Anyway, feel free to contact us with any questions or further info or visit our website and we'll be happy to help...
compassexpeditions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #17
Rider 101 OP
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Compass

Hi People from Compass,
wild horses ( or wild bikes is better ) won't keep me away from Sydney this year. I will see you there on the Saturday.
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
compassexpeditions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
We'll see you in Sydney

Hi Rider 101...that sounds great we'll see you there..
compassexpeditions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #19
wildstar2014
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumbs down Experience with Peru Motors Arequipa

Back from a self guided tour (2 weeks in September 2014 with two rental bikes from Peru Motors, Arequipa) this evaluation should help people who intend to make similar trips with Peru Motors. We booked two bikes and accommodation in one package.
Accommodation was ok, mostly mid class hotels. Evaluation of the Motorbikes (BMW, new model GS 650F) is difficult: Beginning of the tour: During hand over, one of the bikes could no be started, clutch lever was broken, Lars changed the bike (1st time). End of day one: battery low, electric problems, just managed to reach the hotel. Lars delivered spare parts, repaired the bike by myself. Replacement of bike was not possible due rock slide blocked the main road, 2nd day bike stopped due broken alterator in the desert 100km from Nasca. We managed to reach the hotel in Nasca after 4 hours, broken bike was parked in the desert. Spend half day with organization. 4th day Lars organized a the replacement of the broken bike. 6th day the replaced bike sputtered in high altitude and motor stopps several times, lost confidence. 8th day: another bike was offered. With this 3rd bike I end the tour. Lars had no ideas what are the reason for this special problem. I found in the internet that other guys had still the same problem with this type of BMW (high altitude, long distances, over heating of petrol pump?). We are very frustrated about Peru Motors due low maintenance and low knowledge about their own bikes. Lars offered no compensation: I can not recommend Peru Motors at all. FYI: have done a lot of self guided tours with rental bikes all over the world but never had this bad experience.

wildstar2014 screwed with this post 10-22-2014 at 03:39 AM
wildstar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 AM   #20
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 905
I've done 3 trips with Compass, but no more. Not allowed. Can't recommend them highly enough. I see this is an old thread and you might have already done a trip, but the Andean Discovery is a cracker. And i don't know what that bloke is talking about taking bikes across the Peru Bolivia border, Compass are doing it all the time.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote