User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
cazador OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Guatemala..father son trip

Hi All...I'll be arriving in Antigua June 10 from Canada with my 14 year old son for a 10 day father son trip. We'll be staying with a local family and taking Spanish lessons (Antiguena Spanish Academy) for at least 5 days (checking it out for future visits leading to TDF ride some day, hopefully). Just posting some questions and putting it out there for any tips or advice by folks in the know..

1) where's a good place to rent a bike, klr,xr,dr, chineese bike or even a scooter if need be (should we bring our helmets?)

2) Tikal looks really cool, but also looks pretty far from Antigua for our short visit, is it do-able in 2-3 days, and are there many places to stay nearby?

3) Any must see recomendations within day trips from Antigua (coastal towns, friendly little unique towns)?

4) If anybody is in town at the same time would love to meet for a beverage

Cheers,
Cazador y hijo
cazador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
1) Try these places for rentals. http://www.catours.co.uk/, http://www.ceibarent.com/scooter.htm, http://www.simoonsa.com/alquiler-de-motos/. With your own helmets you know they fit and will be safe. With rentals, you never know...

2) I did it in two days (with a pitstop in Lanquin). It's doable. You can camp up at Tikal. I stayed down at Lake El Remate where there are a bunch of small inexpensive boutique hotels on the waterfront.

3) Lago Atitlan (and all of it's surrounding towns) is popular. Otherwise, just ride around and get lost :)

4) Wish I was.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
10 day trip , 5 days Spanish school...that doesn't leave you with a lot of time left.

- Renting a bike in Antigua , Cat Tours , scooters at MotoMundo

- Tikal : you can do it in 1 day , if you take the first flight out of Guatemala City and the last one back . This would give you 5 hours to visit the ruins . Overland the fastest way from Antigua to Tikal is 600 KM

-Day trips out of Antigua : Atitlan , the market in Chichicastenango, hiking a Volcano (Pacaya) , Ziplining in the hills around Antigua, visits to coffee farms 15 min from Antigua, Macadamia farms 20 min from Antigua, day trip down to the beach at the Pacific coast , mountainbike tour,

You are a lucky man to be able to do all this with your son
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
cazador OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the response Dr. Benny & GuateRider, I'll follow up with the rental places. I like the ride around and get lost idea and the market in Chichicastenango looks like a sure stop..... I think I'll save Tikal for another longer visit (nothing's fun when you're rushed).

Also, I've typically just grabbed local currency from bank machines when travelling, is this a safe enough practice in Antigua?..reliable, legit ATMs? (obviously not late night secluded area wearing all my fancy bling with cameras around my neck and cash dripping from a big wallet) Or should I get it from an ATM at the airport when I arrive?

And yes thank you, I agree I'm a lucky man to do this with my son, it's all about priorities for me, they're only young once, I think/hope he'll remember this trip for a long time....I know I can't wait!!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Plenty of ATM machines around Antigua
Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
coors
gs 1200

Oddometer: 60
Hi cazador It was a nice ride with you and your son at lake atitlan.
Next time we need to get you out on the ktm 250
coors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
There is at least one famously corrupted ATM in Antigua--on the main square in a group of (AFAIR) three. They look a cut above others around town, so beware. Ask around: it's pretty well known.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
cazador OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the tips, we both had a blast and would highly recommend Antigua, even for a short get away. I would also recommend CA tours or your motorbike needs....the guys are great to deal with and helpful to all the bikers that stop by.

Hey Coors, we had a great time and hope to come back in the future for more riding and beers at Moto Café.