Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,803
Of those three it would be the V7 for me, but throw a Bolt into the mix and it could be a tight race.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Of those three it would be the V7 for me, but throw a Bolt into the mix and it could be a tight race.
Really? The Bolt has less horsepower than the V7 or the Bonnie and weighs more than either one of them. Must be all aesthetics.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
The bolt makes more power and is 200cc's bigger.
With an extra 200cc's and a modern motor design, its going to have a very wide power band.

The V7 is a lot lighter though, which pays off in more then a drag race.
Ease of use, better braking, better mpg, better handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
Really? The Bolt has less horsepower than the V7 or the Bonnie and weighs more than either one of them. Must be all aesthetics.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Wassa "Bolt"?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The bolt makes more power and is 200cc's bigger.
With an extra 200cc's and a modern motor design, its going to have a very wide power band.

The V7 is a lot lighter though, which pays off in more then a drag race.
Ease of use, better braking, better mpg, better handling.
I struggled finding HP numbers on the Bolt. Everything I found said 47hp. 540 lbs. was given, though.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
I don't even see how the Sportster fits in that comparison, other then the retro looks and low technology, which I definitely see as good. But aside from that, the Sportster is a much smaller bike. I just don't fit on it. I haven't tried the Guzzi, but I have sat on the Bonnie, and it has a LOT more room than the Sportster. I really like the Sportster, just wish it was bigger.

As for the Bolt, it is basically a Japanese copy of a Sportster, and seems to be just as small. A big part of what attracts me to the 3 bikes in the test is that none of them were Japanese. None of them are copies, they are all original, and they all have a heritage. They are not exactly the same as their half a century old ancestors, but they are remarkably close considering some of the high tech junk out there today.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
The bolt uses an engine out of something else Yamaha makes, with some changes, and its supposed to be around 50 HP which is low for a 4 valve 950cc engine, so there is a lot more to be got out of it, and as it is, its going to have a broad power curve.

The bolt is a copy of a sportster, the new Bonneville is a retro bike with a Triumph name, but is nothing like the old ones other then the name and 2 wheels.
The old ones were light and nimble, very low center of gravity.
The new ones are not, but they are smooth and trouble free.

The Guzzi is just a modern update to a classic bike, same as they used to make, only better.
They kept the bike REALLY light for a 750 shaft drive, as light as the old Bonneville's but with electric start and a shaft.

I found the new Bonneville to be very boring to ride after the old Bonneville, heavy, smooth, hard seat, poor suspension, wollowed in fast turns, not so exciting exhaust sound, ok power but low for the engine size.

If I fiit on the Guzzi, it would be MY top pick, super cool looking, very nice instuments, shaft drive, low weight, not like everyone else's bike.

Lack of dealers is no issue for me, I never go to dealers other then to buy a bike sometimes.

I suspect the V7 is small, but I do not know if it is too small.
I sat on one and it seemed ok, and everything on the bike was very nice looking. Stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
I struggled finding HP numbers on the Bolt. Everything I found said 47hp. 540 lbs. was given, though.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,299
A "BOLT" appears to be, Yamaha's sad attempt to build a H-D Sportster. One more pathetic attempt to bring yet another Harley clone to the market. I don't get it.....want a Harley? Buy a fucking Harley!
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Harley has known this for years! Guess Yamaha is paying homage to Harley? Again? Still?
Don't think I'd buy a Sportster type cruiser, but if I ever did, it'd be a HARLEY Sportster......not a Yamaha COPY!!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
A "BOLT" appears to be, Yamaha's sad attempt to build a H-D Sportster. One more pathetic attempt to bring yet another Harley clone to the market. I don't get it.....want a Harley? Buy a fucking Harley!
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Harley has known this for years! Guess Yamaha is paying homage to Harley? Again? Still?
Don't think I'd buy a Sportster type cruiser, but if I ever did, it'd be a HARLEY Sportster......not a Yamaha COPY!!
Lyle
If you're not willing to open up and speak plainly, how will we know how you feel?
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
buck80mph
"Power Junkie"

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Lyle
Can u repeat that?
buck80mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
redge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
...the new Bonneville is a retro bike with a Triumph name, but is nothing like the old ones other then the name and 2 wheels.
The old ones were light and nimble, very low center of gravity.
The new ones are not, but they are smooth and trouble free.

The Guzzi is just a modern update to a classic bike, same as they used to make, only better.
They kept the bike REALLY light for a 750 shaft drive, as light as the old Bonneville's but with electric start and a shaft.

I found the new Bonneville to be very boring to ride after the old Bonneville, heavy, smooth, hard seat, poor suspension, wollowed in fast turns, not so exciting exhaust sound, ok power but low for the engine size.

If I fiit on the Guzzi, it would be MY top pick, super cool looking, very nice instuments, shaft drive, low weight, not like everyone else's bike.

I suspect the V7 is small, but I do not know if it is too small.
I sat on one and it seemed ok, and everything on the bike was very nice looking. Stunning.
As someone who's deciding between the Bonneville T100 and the V7, that's an interesting, and indeed persuasive, analysis.
redge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #27
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by redge View Post
As someone who's deciding between the Bonneville T100 and the V7, that's an interesting, and indeed persuasive, analysis.
Regarding the Bonneville I wouldn't be too persuaded by that "analysis". I don't get the wallowing part, I do agree with the suspension part. For that all you need is $300 or so for some rear IKons.

If you owned an original it may be a case of where your expectations lie. I see plenty of other commentary about how much better the new one is.

You may want to check out this video from Ride Apart. The sound is different than stock, looks like he's got arrows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eSDYRTk_w
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #28
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 671
I have, among other bikes, both a cast wheel Bonnie and a Street Triple.
I ride the Bonnie 50 to 1 over the Street 3. Nothing about the Bonnie s "better" in any way, shape, or form. It's not as fast, can't hold a candle to it in the twisties, never gets up on the back wheel, and all that.

But it's way more fun. YMMV.
KingOfFleece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #29
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,299
Think the Goose IS the cooler of the two. Wish I'd just kept my old Ariel!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Think the Goose IS the cooler of the two. Wish I'd just kept my old Ariel!
Lyle
Yeah, judging from the review a "hipster" bike. Fun to look at, but that's about it. At least Guzzi has some "lineage", unlike the Bolt that screams "wannabe".
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote