Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #916
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Whatever the technical underpinnings, the perception among those but the technically savvy is that the tires are crap. FIA directive or not, I cannot see how this is a plus situation for Pirelli. I've never been a fan since the early days of dryrotted P600's, but aside from that, unless one cares enough to delve into the particulars, the tires perform like shit, the commentary obsesses on the fact, and Pirelli is left to manage an image of tires that won't last. How does this type of racing on Sunday help them sell tires on Monday?
I think it has a lot to do with the media banging on about tires, and the teams & drivers taking the easy way out.
The tires are all the same for every team. Drive them hard, drive them poorly, and they come apart. it has always been thus. I guess the fact the noise level about tires has gotten so high now, its the only story worth hearing.

F1 has always been kind of a fringe, technical game, and one of the reasons I like it so much. I think they are looking to make it more mainstream though ($$$) and maybe a little less technical.

here's hoping the racing continues similar to the season so far with a good level of unpredictability.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #917
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
I think it has a lot to do with the media banging on about tires, and the teams & drivers taking the easy way out.
The tires are all the same for every team. Drive them hard, drive them poorly, and they come apart. it has always been thus. I guess the fact the noise level about tires has gotten so high now, its the only story worth hearing.

F1 has always been kind of a fringe, technical game, and one of the reasons I like it so much. I think they are looking to make it more mainstream though ($$$) and maybe a little less technical.

here's hoping the racing continues similar to the season so far with a good level of unpredictability.
I agree. The tires are EXACTLY what FIA asked for. They create another technical hurdle for the teams to overcome, and created better opportunities both for on track overtaking and for strategy differences. Ferrari had a good strategy at Catalunya from the first lap. Lotus had a good strategy. Other teams, not so much. Blaming your poor strategic decision on the tires is a cop out. Each team has the same tires. Some have figured them out. Some have not.

Whining about the tires is just another racers' excuse. And now the FIA is going to reward the whiners by changing the tires. My Mom said whiners never get what they whine for. She was wrong.

ETA: Two of the four races this year have the winner setting quicker times than last season. Two have slower times this year versus last. One (China) has essentially the same time the past two years (actual difference of 0.016 seconds). In other words, there is no clear evidence that the tires this season are slowing down the pace versus last season.

Paebr332 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 12:36 PM
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #918
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Matt Somerfield tells me not to worry:
a link to his (short) blog on the changes to tires is HERE

Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #919
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

I think this is spot on:

@ScarbsF1: F1 is a Formula i.e. Tech & Sporting Regs, they get published, you design a car accordingly, If its slow its the team's issue, not the regs

Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #920
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
If the cars have performance issues with tires that's one thing, but tire failures should not be tolerated. Tire failures must be investigated and improvements must be made.
When tires delaminate that is due to poor tire design/build quality, not a car design problem.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #921
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
If the cars have performance issues with tires that's one thing, but tire failures should not be tolerated. Tire failures must be investigated and improvements must be made.
When tires delaminate that is due to poor tire design/build quality, not a car design problem.
As far as I can remember, only two tires have delaminated all season. Both were in Spain. One was in practice and I think was presumed to be a tire failure. The other was in the race (a Toro Rosso?) and was presumed to be the result of contact.

If all of the above is true, only one tire failure in 5 races. I can't see a cause for alarm.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #922
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

oh Bernie....

Ecclestone charged with bribery

The complicated issues arise for Formula 1 Management from its boss legal problems.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bernie Ecclestone (LAT Photo)

May 15, 2013 (GMM).- German prosecutors have charged Bernie Ecclestone with bribery, the Suddeutsche Zeitung newspaper reports in its Wednesday edition.
Earlier, the newspaper said the officials had completed their long investigation into the F1 chief executive's role in the Gerhard Gribkowsky corruption affair.
"Munich has filed charges against Bernie Ecclestone," Wednesday's article reads, adding that one of the charges is the "serious" offense of bribing a public official.
The case will surround the 82-year-old's confirmed payment of $44 million to jailed former F1 banker Gribkowsky, surrounding the sale of the sport to CVC some years ago.
"The bribery allegations could cost Ecclestone his job as formula one boss," said the Suddeutsche Zeitung, adding that the district court will now decide whether or not it hears the case.
If it does, a trial is tipped to take place this year.
Briton Ecclestone claims he paid Gribkowsky after he blackmailed him. The F1 'Supremo. also said he will cooperate with public prosecutors in Germany following the conviction of Gribkowsky for taking bribes and tax evasion last year.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #923
wxwax
Excited Member

They've been stalking him for a long time now. A lot of smoke was blown over the Gribkowsky affair, but the Germans finally won a conviction against him. Given the prosecutor's success in the earlier case, things don't look good for Bernie.

Given his nature and his roots as a used car salesman, I have no doubt that it was a bribe. He's in a lot of trouble.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #924
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

some good technical analysis from Spain

LINK

good shot showing some of the upgrades Ferrari had planned on running at Barcelona. The linked article explains that they didn't due to poor weather in FP1

g容g screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 10:26 AM
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #925
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,213
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/honda-r...130124027.html

Is this old news? Back for more failure?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #926
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

well failure is a bit harsh....

yes, they sucked as a constructor running their own show, but they have been very successful in the past as an engine supplier.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #927
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,213
Quote:
well failure is a bit harsh....

yes, they sucked as a constructor running their own show, but they have been very successful in the past as an engine supplier.
I know. The apparent arrogance with which they entered the sport last with BAR was off putting. As long as they aren't taking money from HRC I don't care what becomes of their F1 effort.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #928
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,189
Quote:
Drive them hard, drive them poorly, and they come apart. it has always been thus.
There is a crucial difference between working right up to the performance limit of a cutting edge tire, and working within the artificial confines of a tire designed to fail. Then there is the folly of teams spending billions to develop machines capable of incredible performance only to be hobbled by a tire gimmick. Why this is lost on a population that claims to love the technical aspect of F1 confuses the hell out of me.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #929
wxwax
Excited Member

If it's true that Ferrari ran wide open at Catalunya, then in what way was the car's performance hobbled?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #930
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

News to me, not that that means much. Good for McLaren and good for F1. This is what the FIA was hoping for when it moved to a smaller engine. Real world applications for everyone except Ferrari.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan