ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #766
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Westcliffe, CO
Oddometer: 153
'09 KLX250s fork teardown pics

I've searched and searched but have not found any clear posting of pics of the internals of the '09 forks on the S model when disassembled. Can someone point me to this info and also to any specific shim pack/compression valve changes short of Gold Valves or Moto-Pro valves to reduce the sharp compression spike? Thanks

thinairflyer screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 04:49 PM
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #767
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...
 
TinMan207's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Maine -- most days
Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinairflyer View Post
I've searched and searched but have not found any clear posting of pics of the internals of the '09 forks on the S model when disassembled. Can someone point me to this info and also to any specific shim pack/compression valve changes short of Gold Valves or Moto-Pro valves to reduce the sharp compression spike? Thanks
Bike bandit has a parts phishe
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...8849#sch579766

no idea about the shims. pro cycle.com has some good bike specific pages
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klx250s.html

hope that helps
__________________
When I was young I hoped to be Rich and good looking. At this point, I think that having great stories of many adventures is a much better plan

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #768
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Westcliffe, CO
Oddometer: 153
I should have been more specific, I was hoping to see pics of the actual compression valve and the damper piston assembly. Thanks for your reply.
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #769
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Westcliffe, CO
Oddometer: 153
'09 klx250s Rear shock info needed

Does anyone know if the piston in the '09 rear shock is the same diameter as the '07 back shock? I am interested in a Gold Valve for my '09 shock but RaceTech does not know what the piston diameter is on the '09 KLX250S shock. Their site shows 36mm which doesn't seem correct but when I called tech service there they did not know....

Help! :-)
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #770
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Westcliffe, CO
Oddometer: 153
KLX250S vs. KLX300 carb

I have an '09 KLX250S with the Kustom Kraft 330cc kit installed. Having a little trouble getting the stock 250 carb jetted. If the main jet is good it surges at cruise rpm. If lifting the DynoJet needle to stop the surging and going up a little on the main jet it is too rich at wide open throttle.

Anyone used the KLX300 carb with the different needle jet and needle on a 330cc motor? Does it work out better?
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #771
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinairflyer View Post
Does anyone know if the piston in the '09 rear shock is the same diameter as the '07 back shock? I am interested in a Gold Valve for my '09 shock but RaceTech does not know what the piston diameter is on the '09 KLX250S shock. Their site shows 36mm which doesn't seem correct but when I called tech service there they did not know....

Help! :-)
Contact John @ www.moto-pro.com. He'll give you a better overall setup than Racetech.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #772
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Westcliffe, CO
Oddometer: 153
Thanks Rob, but I have already installed Gold Valves front and rear in the '09 KLX250S now. Pleased with the results. The rear shock is 44mm same as the earlier models. L D
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #773
Luma46
Adventurer
 
Luma46's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: SE New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 75
Question Looking into a used KLX250s

Hi there. The info in this and the other KLX250 threads is just overwhelming in bulk and diversity, wondering if somebody could give me quick answers to my questions.
I am looking into buying a used 2009 KLX250s with 3000 kms on the clock, looks like new and the price is right. This is supposed to be a play bike to discover some local backroads and get to fishing places, no serious off-roading. I read that these bikes are finicky to start, yet have a potential to tinker with and release couple more ponies. I like the suspension specs that seem to beat the CRF250L. So my questions are:
1) Is there some quick and inexpensive fix to this starting problem?
2) What are some basic improvements that would give the bike a bit more oumph without spending hundreds of bucks.
3) Do you think that this bike would fit a 67 years old guy 5'10", 190 lb in a reasonably good shape?
4) What is the valves clearance adjustment on this bike, shim under bucket or bolt and nut?
I am no stranger to working on bikes, I have always serviced my bikes myself and what a better past time in retirement...
Cheers,
__________________
2009 BMW R1200RT - main ride
2009 Kawa KLX250s - for some fun on bad roads
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio - sold
2006 BMW R1200GS - sold
At least another dozen bikes in last 20 years

Luma46 screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 12:10 PM
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #774
Lutz
Killer Rabbit
 
Lutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Shore of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma46 View Post
?..
1) Is there some quick and inexpensive fix to this starting problem?
2) What are some basic improvements that would give the bike a bit more oumph without spending hundreds of bucks.
3) Do you think that this bike would fit a 67 years old guy 5'10", 190 lb in a reasonably good shape?
4) What is the valves clearance adjustment on this bike, shim under bucket or bolt and nut?
...
1) Yes. Some drill the starting enrichment jet with a ~0.018" bit. Verify size prior to drilling. I have not drilled, and just start using a particular technique. There are other methods and workarounds too.
2) Stock KLX300R header AND muffler (as a set) bolt on, and can be run without the "butt plug" for a pretty good increase in power. With a jet kit and the airbox snorkel removed, that's about as good as it gets with the cheap power mods.
3) Certainly. Depending on what/how you ride, you might find the forks very, very soft. New fork springs will do a lot of good, a revalve even more.
4) Shim under bucket.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #775
Pacificus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Peterborough, Cambs., England
Oddometer: 60
Front brake hose

I need to replace the front brake hose (of a 2009 KLX250 S), as it has been chafed caused by rubbing against an aftermarket hand guard arm.

I have an old brake hose from a 1999 KLR250, which if compatible I would like to install on the KLX. The KLR hose is a couple of millimetres larger in diameter, but its length is about the same. Both KLX and KLR hoses have 'Nichirin J1401' markings.

My question is: is the KLR hose compatible with the KLX? Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #776
Lutz
Killer Rabbit
 
Lutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Shore of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificus View Post
I need to replace the front brake hose (of a 2009 KLX250 S), as it has been chafed caused by rubbing against an aftermarket hand guard arm.

I have an old brake hose from a 1999 KLR250, which if compatible I would like to install on the KLX. The KLR hose is a couple of millimetres larger in diameter, but its length is about the same. Both KLX and KLR hoses have 'Nichirin J1401' markings.

My question is: is the KLR hose compatible with the KLX? Does anyone know?

Thanks.
I do not know for sure, but... if the fittings on the KLR hose will work with the KLX master cylinder and caliper, and the length is the same or slightly longer, then it should work fine. Pressure ratings of the hose and fittings used should be more than adequate, if not identical.
My '09 also has a chafed outer jacket from rubbing on the hand guard mounts. The wear on mine is only cosmetic, as it has not gone through to the pressure retaining inner hose.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #777
Pacificus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Peterborough, Cambs., England
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I do not know for sure, but... if the fittings on the KLR hose will work with the KLX master cylinder and caliper, and the length is the same or slightly longer, then it should work fine. Pressure ratings of the hose and fittings used should be more than adequate, if not identical.
My '09 also has a chafed outer jacket from rubbing on the hand guard mounts. The wear on mine is only cosmetic, as it has not gone through to the pressure retaining inner hose.

Thanks for that. I've decided to give it a go, so will make the attempt tomorrow. Since posting here, I spoke with someone at Kawasaki UK who basically said the same as you, although he did stress Kawasaki could not officially approve of it.

I've only tried once before to mess with brake fluid, and the attempt resulted in a having to ride very slowly to the local Kawasaki workshop! But that was before YouTube so I'm more confident this time.
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #778
Luma46
Adventurer
 
Luma46's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: SE New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 75
Wink So far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
1) Yes. Some drill the starting enrichment jet with a ~0.018" bit. Verify size prior to drilling. I have not drilled, and just start using a particular technique. There are other methods and workarounds too.
2) Stock KLX300R header AND muffler (as a set) bolt on, and can be run without the "butt plug" for a pretty good increase in power. With a jet kit and the airbox snorkel removed, that's about as good as it gets with the cheap power mods.
3) Certainly. Depending on what/how you ride, you might find the forks very, very soft. New fork springs will do a lot of good, a revalve even more.
So I bought this KLX250S, it is 2009 model, has only 3500 kms and looks pretty much like new. However, I bought it from a second owner and who knows if/what has been done to the bike.
Bike starts surprisingly well cold with the choke, but runs with choke about 4000 RPMs so I wonder if previous owners enriched it somehow. Without choke and warm it idles nicely at 1300 RPMs. It starts very well when warm/hot just on touch of button, no throttle needed.
I will not be taking the carb out before the end of riding season, but I will check it out later on to see what I have in there and put in DJ stage 1 as well.
As for the suspension, it seems to me hard even so that I am 85 kg and easily 95 kg including all the gear. I have not been off road yet, just bad tertiary and local paved roads. Maybe I am spoiled from my BMW 1200RT and have a biased judgement. Surprisingly I can almost flatfoot the bike with my 31" inseam, pretty much the same as the CRF250L that I test drove.
__________________
2009 BMW R1200RT - main ride
2009 Kawa KLX250s - for some fun on bad roads
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio - sold
2006 BMW R1200GS - sold
At least another dozen bikes in last 20 years
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #779
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Corner of Kanc and Bear Notch
Oddometer: 175
So Luma46...

...welcome to the club.
Your 4000rpm choke is normal, that's when it can run on it's own.
My bike needed choke always (except on a hot day) to start, until I did my valves. Since then, it only needs choke for a few seconds before I can keep it running on a 50F+ day.
As for the suspension, you'll probably need stiffer springs. Coming from the road to dirt, I couldn't deal with the brake dive...so I learned hitting the rear first, followed by some good old front, really helped tame the dive. Being able to compress the front is good when your off road, but on the road it feels not so good. It's a dirt bike first, albeit a tame one, then a road bike. Hitting the brakes really hard is like hitting a giant rock off road, at least to the suspension, ultimately it's a good thing, just different than what you are used to. The proper springs will help, a little.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #780
Luma46
Adventurer
 
Luma46's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: SE New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 75
Hi 'lobolator', so how did you find your valves when you checked them out, too tight or too much clearance?
I keep thinking about this suspension and it seems to me that I should have a softer rear spring and not harder... I rode today some hard surface fire road with lots of potholes and it felt as if I did not have any suspension at all . I will try soften the preload, I am already 16 clicks out on damping, so I do not think much could be done on this adjustment... Front seems to be OK.
__________________
2009 BMW R1200RT - main ride
2009 Kawa KLX250s - for some fun on bad roads
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio - sold
2006 BMW R1200GS - sold
At least another dozen bikes in last 20 years
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014