Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #5011
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post

... for cheaping it quickly and totally protecting the rear shock u can't beat the Toad Special. Go to Home Depot and buy a 10 buck plumbing roof vent. The tupe that the ABS runs thru. Take a box knife and cut it in half. If it were on the roof you would be cutting on the horizontal. Then slice vertically on each side till youve got it down to 6 inches wide. Then it will just slide up between the rear fender and the plastic central body piece. And yer done.
I just stumbled across this yesterday at a plumbing supply distributor. Oatey makes all rubber roof vent flashings (no aluminum base) that should work really good in this application. There shouldn't be an issue if it contacts the swingarm.

I'll be getting one and will report back. It only costs $12 so not a big loss if it doesn't work.

2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G - For Sale
1980 Kawaski KDX 250
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #5012
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Twenty three thousand miles laterand no issue. Just a still clean shock.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #5013
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,226
Dropped by RPM in Dallas this morning, and got to see my first Stelvio in person. Very nice build, I liked it. No demo available tho.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #5014
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,992
CalSci NTX shorty (tinted) vs medium:

Haven't ridden with it yet, but it looks like what I've been looking for.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #5015
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I love this bike but NEED to figure something out on the windshield -- I went through the same thing on my V Strom and was saved by the Mad Stad bracket with it.
+1

I wish there was a MadStad type bracket for the Stelvio. It worked wonders on my Vstrom and makes a ton of sense. I found it key to be able to adjust the angle more than the height.

I've been studying the stock brackets to see if there's a way to duplicate that style.

I'm looking forward to JA's review of the CalSci shorty windscreen. I'm thinking a shorty with a laminar lip might be the hot ticket, at least for summer. Maybe the medium for winter? I think my next move will be to space the brackets forward to get more air under the stock shield and maybe change the tilt angle.

I got my first chance to take the Stelvio off the pavement last night. I was amazed at how well the engine tractors down, very nice. What I did notice was the noise in the forks Larryboy talked about when they top out and the standing position isn't quite right, too hunched over, but workable. I am really looking forward to the new SW-Motech footpegs when they arrive. I'm really not keen on the stock ones. I think the other noises I heard over the bumps were the tools banging around under the seat and the center stand bouncing up and down. I may have to investigate a more positive latching arrangement for the center stand if stronger springs aren't sufficient.

The stock tires are not too good if the dirt gets a little bit moist, I could feel them slipping around a bit, kinda scary with 600 lbs of beast. This bike does frequently remind me of it's heft in very slow situations. I don't have any issues with the stock tires on the pavement, they seem to work pretty well there.

I also experienced the cold clutch groan for the first time. It can catch you by surprise as it sort of darts forward a bit when it happens. Has anybody found a routine that minimizes it or do you just expect it to happen at least once when it's cold? It didn't happen as the first clutch release from cold but maybe the third?
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #5016
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
CalSci NTX shorty (tinted) vs medium:

Haven't ridden with it yet, but it looks like what I've been looking for.
I hope it works, I love the way it looks. It's the size I'm thinking about.

Somebody has a KTM almost identical to my '95 300.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #5017
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Somebody has a KTM almost identical to my '95 300.
1995 300 EXC. I just dropped it off at its new owner's place. I replaced it with an '83 Honda CR480R.

I'm going to sneak in a test ride of the new windscreen shortly. I will be using my MX helmet so I can get a feel for it for the Dino ride at the end of the month.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #5018
James Adams
Misplaced

OK, so it is what I was looking for: a short screen so that I get loads of clean air at the helmet.

Pros:
  • lots of air to the helmet, hits me right about at the mouth (I think; hard to tell with the MX helmet) so it's not whipping at my neck
  • clean air, doesn't catch the visor on the MX helmet unless I tip my head way back
  • I can duck down and lean forward a little bit (not much at all) and I'm in a little bubble of quiet
  • doesn't feel like it's going to decapitate me if I'm standing on the pegs
  • great visibility of the road directly in front of me -- this is important to me when I'm riding on less-than-ideal surfaces

Cons:
  • if you're looking for wind protection, this isn't it
  • loads of clean air might be really loud, depending on your helmet
  • the back of the screen reflects the dashboard and it's a pretty bright reflection at night (since the screen is tinted quite dark)
  • the screen really only works on the low position; buffeting increases significantly as you raise it

If you're looking for wind protection, this really isn't the screen for you. I think that the CalSci medium screen is awesome for that in the low position, if you want to look over it, and in the high position, if you don't mind looking through it. It's well-designed.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #5019
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,746
I hope you are right. I ordered up a medium just to see what it s all about. I can see where it would be horrible off road but for general cruising around I sure would like to get rid if all the buffeting.

BTW: that short REALLY looks great.

Marc
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #5020
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the review JA. It sounds like for primarily off-road or slower back roads the shorty would be good. It sure looks sexy.

What's your comment on cutting down the medium a bit, maybe 2" or so? Do you think the shape of the CalSci medium is superior to the stock one?

I'm looking to get the air flow hitting my helmet just above the visor (I'm 5' 9") and just a little flow into the cockpit. I was also considering cutting a NACA style duct in the stock screen. Looking at the price of a stock screen I'm more inclined to work with an aftermarket one. I can buy 2 of them to one stock one.

I was comparing the height of my Vstrom screen and the Stelvio, the Vstrom screen is about 5" lower but works better with the MadStad brackets.

300 EXC for a CR480r interesting trade. You into having your bike give you a little abuse. I love my 300 MXC but don't ride it enough to warrant keeping it. I'm the original owner. I wish it had the EXC trans.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #5021
James Adams
Misplaced

I'll reiterate my opinion that the CalSci medium is basically ideal for me for road riding. It has a NACA duct in it. For me, the air hits me right above my visor, so I can ride with my visor open even at highway speeds without any issues. But with the intake vents on my helmet open, I can feel the air flowing through nicely.

For reference, I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I think Lomax recently ordered the medium so I would be interested to hear his opinion as he is probably closer to your height.

I think that CalSci has the aerodynamics figured out. I agree with you--for you, maybe the best choice would be to cut down the medium about 2".
Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #5022
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
300 EXC for a CR480r interesting trade. You into having your bike give you a little abuse. I love my 300 MXC but don't ride it enough to warrant keeping it. I'm the original owner. I wish it had the EXC trans.
The CR480R is pretty tame compared to the RXV 450 that's sitting right next to it.

Yes, I have an illness.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #5023
Tinkerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
+1

I wish there was a MadStad type bracket for the Stelvio. It worked wonders on my Vstrom and makes a ton of sense. I found it key to be able to adjust the angle more than the height.

I've been studying the stock brackets to see if there's a way to duplicate that style.

I'm looking forward to JA's review of the CalSci shorty windscreen. I'm thinking a shorty with a laminar lip might be the hot ticket, at least for summer. Maybe the medium for winter? I think my next move will be to space the brackets forward to get more air under the stock shield and maybe change the tilt angle.

I got my first chance to take the Stelvio off the pavement last night. I was amazed at how well the engine tractors down, very nice. What I did notice was the noise in the forks Larryboy talked about when they top out and the standing position isn't quite right, too hunched over, but workable. I am really looking forward to the new SW-Motech footpegs when they arrive. I'm really not keen on the stock ones. I think the other noises I heard over the bumps were the tools banging around under the seat and the center stand bouncing up and down. I may have to investigate a more positive latching arrangement for the center stand if stronger springs aren't sufficient.

The stock tires are not too good if the dirt gets a little bit moist, I could feel them slipping around a bit, kinda scary with 600 lbs of beast. This bike does frequently remind me of it's heft in very slow situations. I don't have any issues with the stock tires on the pavement, they seem to work pretty well there.

I also experienced the cold clutch groan for the first time. It can catch you by surprise as it sort of darts forward a bit when it happens. Has anybody found a routine that minimizes it or do you just expect it to happen at least once when it's cold? It didn't happen as the first clutch release from cold but maybe the third?
I sent the chap at Madstad a request to see if he would consider manufacturing a bracket for the Stelvio and got a reply that it is not on the radar at this time. To bad as I really liked it on my Vstrom with the extent of height and angle adjustments it is as close to perfect as I have ever found. Maybe if there was enough interest we could get him to change his mind. Guess the Calsci will have to suffice for now.

PS: Did I mention how much fun I am having with my NTX!!
Tinkerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #5024
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,057
I tried the standard Cal sci screen on my 13 Stelvio and went back to the stocker. I couldn't tell much difference in turbulence between the two even though it was a few inches taller and wider than the stock screen. In addition, the stock screen is lexan, not acrylic and I really prefer the look of a smaller screen in general.

I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, use the seat in the high position and run the screen almost as low as it'll go.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #5025
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I'll reiterate my opinion that the CalSci medium is basically ideal for me for road riding. It has a NACA duct in it. For me, the air hits me right above my visor, so I can ride with my visor open even at highway speeds without any issues. But with the intake vents on my helmet open, I can feel the air flowing through nicely.

For reference, I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I think Lomax recently ordered the medium so I would be interested to hear his opinion as he is probably closer to your height.

I think that CalSci has the aerodynamics figured out. I agree with you--for you, maybe the best choice would be to cut down the medium about 2".
Thanks JA. A medium cut down 2" seems very appealing.

I'm very interested to see how Lomax likes it.

Since I have a MadStad bracket, and they don't seem interested in producing one for the Stelvio, I'm going to see what it would take to do a similar one for our bikes. I may have to do a variation as I believe he patented it.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S