Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #376
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Nothing personal , but you must ride like an old woman to get those mileages.
or he is at high altitude and there isn't much oxygen for the fuel to use, hence less fuel burned.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #377
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph View Post
or he is at high altitude and there isn't much oxygen for the fuel to use, hence less fuel burned.
I have a fairly controlled throttle hand, but I have NEVER been accused of riding like an old lady. I tend to ride mid-pack on group rides; more due to my comfort level than anything. And yes, I ride at altitude: from 5,500-11,000'. Heck, I live in a valley that sits at 7,500'. In the poor bike's defence, the 112rwhp was dyno'd at 6,000'. It will be a whole new experience at sea level.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #378
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph View Post
I dunno, when I ride at high altitude I keep the throttle open more to compensate.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #379
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
I dunno, when I ride at high altitude I keep the throttle open more to compensate.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #380
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I have just come back from a Honda roadshow, wher i test drove the VFR1200 and CB1000R.
I have a ZX14 with 200HP and buttloads of tourq, i am used to power from the get go, but i have to say this, the CB1000R was freeking fun even with "only" 125HP. Power from low down and very comfortoble upright seating position.
I did not feel that it was lacking any power at all. The grin on my face i still ther after 5 hours
Its a bloddy holigan ready raise hell
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #381
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,614

Kawasaki Z1000 by Southwade, on Flickr
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #382
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post

Kawasaki Z1000 by Southwade, on Flickr

That's a beautiful machine. I'm getting more and more taken with the Z1000/Ninja 1000. Have you done any poewr mods to it? I hear that there's a lot of extra power lurking in those motors if one makes the right mods.

If you have done some mods, what have your impressions been?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #383
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
You guys had to get me thinking about this, and right when my old (05) gsxr 600 came back up for sale.

Hmm....

Might not make it. Build a standoff just to keep them away from the sides a bit better maybe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #384
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
That's a beautiful machine. I'm getting more and more taken with the Z1000/Ninja 1000. Have you done any poewr mods to it? I hear that there's a lot of extra power lurking in those motors if one makes the right mods.

If you have done some mods, what have your impressions been?
I haven't fiddle with it much. I changed the tips to give it a deeper sound, but left the mufflerbox underneath.

This thing pulls so hard I have yet to really desire more power. I rarely travel above 80 miles per hour, but even there it has some grunt.

It's so much fun down low, I've almost perfected launching from a full stop. All my screwball buddies on their sportybikes (I hate riding sportbikes (no offense guys)) are hopeless from 0 to about 40 or 50. Rolling starts are even more fum to torture them with.

I typically ride alone (commuting). I love trolling around DC on this thing, when you want to be in a spot the throttle gets you there in an instant. No wind up, no hesitation, just "rahh" (poor rear tire, lol)

The best upgrade I've done to this bike to date is the pads. The stock ones are weak. I put on some HH+ pads and now it stops like a city bike should.

The only time I think it's ever lacking is when I'm on the freeway in 6th and I'm too lazy to shift to fifth too pass a slow car.

I bought it in January and so far I've put 3500 hard, hard, hard miles on it... all grins all the time.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #385
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
I haven't read the whole thread but here are my 2 cents. I am in the same park as you, using a liter bike as my do it all bike. Commute, track & very rarely get some groceries for the heck of it

Without a doubt I can recommend the GSXR 1000. Of all the liter superbikes, I believe these are the most "streetable" for the lack of a better word.

Get any 03 - 04 or 05 - 06 models & do 3 things to it.

1. Spiegler handlebar conversion kit
  2. Vortex rearsets that can be had cheap from any race forums or Ebay
  3. Taller windscreen
After you have all the above, adjust your rider triangle to preference & ride. These things have massive torque, rarely need any maintenance & give good mpg if you are smooth with the throttle. I have owned an 06 & now I own an 09. For my purposes, i really miss the 06. Excellent stock ergonomics, excellent power band, very intuitive handling & really good mpg. The 09 is a great bike too, but the small fuel tank, poor mpg & comparatively uncomfortable ergos are points against it. Of course at the track, things change. The 09 feels a lot better, brakes better & turns better.

Good Luck with your quest.

arshishb screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 10:31 AM
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #386
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

GSXR 1000.

Of all the liter bikes, I believe these are the most "streetable"

lol, no.

Maybe liter sportbikes.

But not liter bikes.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #387
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post
Yes, stock gearing. Yes, US gallons. I calculate the MPG on EVERY fill up. I write the mileage on the receipt and stuff it in a pocket and do my calculations when I return. No engine work, but retuned for the Akrapovic exhaust. I have just under 9000 miles and I have only noted sub 50MPG once and that was 46MPG with 1/2 the tank used at a track day. It was my first, so I didn't concentrate on speed as much as getting comfortable and learning the course.

Example: This weekend I went for a ~400 mile ride. I stopped for gas at 150.2 miles and topped it off with 2.68 gallons: 56.1 MPG. Next stop, my fuel light came on at exactly 200.0 miles, only took 3.61 gallons to fill the tank: 55.4 MPG. I use premium fuel (usually E10, because that is what is available) and I keep the bike between 6-8,000 RPM with a few short runs from 10-14,000 RPM.

It's obviously a result of waxing my helmet.

~Ex
Your mpg seems totally reasonable to me. Some people just have a knack for getting good mpg. Excluding track days my average mpg on my 07 cbr600rr was at 49.9mpg when I sold it. My avg mpg on my tiger 800 is at >54mpg which is the highest on fuelly. I've been thinking of picking up a used 675 and I would fully expect to get the same sort of numbers you get though a major reason for the purchase would be to get back on the track.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #388
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Your mpg seems totally reasonable to me. Some people just have a knack for getting good mpg. Excluding track days my average mpg on my 07 cbr600rr was at 49.9mpg when I sold it. My avg mpg on my tiger 800 is at >54mpg which is the highest on fuelly. I've been thinking of picking up a used 675 and I would fully expect to get the same sort of numbers you get though a major reason for the purchase would be to get back on the track.
Every bike is unique in its design. I have no trouble seeing 50 mpg on an '07 CBR600RR, or 55 mpg on a Tiger 800. Other people report similar results. But the D675 is a totally different beast for engine, tune and gearing. I'm glad that Existence_Inc is getting his GREAT mpg, but NO ONE ELSE is reporting numbers this high. His bike and riding style are the exception, not the rule, for THIS motorcycle. Even the Street Triple, which is tuned differently, doesn't typically get mpg this high.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #389
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
lol, no.

Maybe liter sportbikes.

But not liter bikes.
Excuse the missed word.

EDIT: However, a well sorted (read hacked) GSXR 1000 streetfighter can give most liter bikes a run for their money. Of course in stock form, its out of the question. Neverthless it makes a great platform for any thing you want to convert it to. I had a Ninja 1000 for a few months before nmoving back to the GSXR. Apart from the riding position & adjustable windscreen, I felt the GSXR better in every way. More mpg, better brakes, much much better handling & a butter smooth engine.

arshishb screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 10:45 PM
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #390
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Excuse the missed word.

It's an important distinction.