Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #3346
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,423
I rode over in 2010 on a long weekend and there were all kinds of rental cars, minivans, etc. driving on the road. I wonder how many were blindly led there by their GPS? Making the road a bit rougher is probably not a bad thing.

BC seems to mark roads as closed but leave them actually open for a few years.

This road (from Top of the World Park to Premier Lake) was marked as closed but was passable - there was a beaver dam that had flooded the road. I went up it anyway and ran into a warden who was not too impressed to find me on the road. She said that they have to document that a road is unused for a period of time before it can be closed but off-road clubs keep using them, which prevents closure. I told her that she could document that I was using the road if she wanted to

This was the berm that they put up to keep people out:

I went from there to Grey Creek:

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #3347
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,592
Layin' down tracks

I added a thread in the Canada section of "Layin' Down Tracks" with a bunch of Calgary and area gpx. tracks, in case the Dual-Sport-Maps site shuts down. They should offer some nice dual sport rides for people either new to the area, or new to the dual sport game.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #3348
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Rode out and back on the Powderface today. The road is in really good condition for anyone thinking about it for the weekend. As long as the rain holds off and it doesn't get too muddy.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #3349
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,200
Did a 4 hr ride at McLean Creek yesterday afternoon - conditions were excellent up on the west ridge (Swany's). Minimal mud and no snow... good riding to be had there now.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #3350
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

On Every Parade a little Rain must fall

Great start to the day even if my favorite Green-Lane was a bit too soggy. I managed to find a few roads that I either had not yet run, or had been some time since the last crossing. One was only doable because the gate was wide open and blocking whatever the sign on the fence said. I did come across a few cattle gates and closed them behind me as one should. I had a close encounter with a skunk and a irritable hawk, the skunk would have got me if I had not been cooking on the throttle as I passed him/ her. The hawk nearly left scratches in my helmet. I intended to run most of the new track that I created a couple of days ago, but the weather turned cold, wet and windy somewhere southeast of Claresholm, so I turned around and booked it north. It poured on me near the west-most-end of Riley road, almost to Nanton, then it started to clear and warm up. All in all a nice day, and sometimes clouds make for better pictures.

09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 06:31 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #3351
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Green Lanes closing all over

A couple of years ago there was a great green lane south of 242 ave. south of the Red Deer Lake Processing place. It was a lot of fun, but people (and I use the term loosely) were using it to party, leaving broken glass, make-shift fire pits, and other garbage along the lane. I once saw a old dryer and other household garbage dumped not far up the lane, disgusting! Well the land owners, rightly so, were pissed off at these slobs, and put up fences with locked gates. Thanks to the AssHoles, the responsible riders who just like a little exploring (leaving nothing but tracks) can't ride these anymore.

If I ever see someone dumping garbage or having a drinking party on a country lane, I'll take your plate and your picture and give it to the cops. Not that anyone on this site will be on the receiving end, but I hope you will do the same and get those kind of scum what they deserve. Unless you like seeing these.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Other than that irritation it was a good day's riding.

09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 06:05 AM
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #3352
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
A question for those in the know.
My chain has required adjustment after each of the last few rides. Time for a new one? F800GS with 19000km.
Thanks
Paul
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #3353
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 366
Thumbs down Lane closure

That sucks I always enjoyed that little trail especially the last little gully at the end on the south it will be missed
Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #3354
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
My chain has required adjustment after each of the last few rides. Time for a new one? F800GS with 19000km.
Thanks
Paul
It sounds like it, when they start doing that. I get more mileage than that, but I buy the highest tensile strenght X-ring chains that fit.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #3355
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Thanks Lycan.
Internet or is there a good place in town?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #3356
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
Thanks
Paul
Yup, once you have to adjust after each ride or even during rides its time for a new one. I've tried all the major brands of o ring and x ring and they all seem to last me about 20000kms.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #3357
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Lycan, just wanted to say thanks for the gps tracks you posted. It's great to have some ideas as I am new to the dual sport bike though I have spent a fair bit of time at Waiparous and Maclean in the past with my 300EXC. I rode your Calgary to 532 - The Hump loop today and enjoyed it a lot. I don't have a proper gps unit yet but found a decent app for the iphone that can import gps tracks and it worked pretty well. Now to see if I can embed a couple pictures.

I shrunk these as I'm not too sure on convention?

990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #3358
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 990west View Post
Lycan, just wanted to say thanks for the gps tracks you posted. It's great to have some ideas as I am new to the dual sport bike though I have spent a fair bit of time at Waiparous and Maclean in the past with my 300EXC. I rode your Calgary to 532 - The Hump loop today and enjoyed it a lot. I don't have a proper gps unit yet but found a decent app for the iphone that can import gps tracks and it worked pretty well. Now to see if I can embed a couple pictures.
Glad that the tracks are being used. Great choice of bike for a dual-sport! The"hump" looks a lot drier than the last time I was up there.

I am a relentless explorer, and it is getting to a point that west of Calgary there are few roads that I have not yet been across. Yesterday I was "green lane-ing" but kept running into dead ends, or swamps. I found one really challenging one, that I will have to revisit when it is drier, and I have friends along. I will post some more tracks soon.

By the way the picture size is just fine.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #3359
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Sweet spot off Hw 520 in the forest reserve. This is all open riding. Talked to some campers and they report great riding off Trout Creek Road. It's far from Calgary but worth a trip back for sure.

where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #3360
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
Sweet spot off Hw 520 in the forest reserve. This is all open riding. Talked to some campers and they report great riding off Trout Creek Road. It's far from Calgary but worth a trip back for sure.
I was up on Trout Creek road a couple of weekends ago and it was muddy and snow covered at the higher elevations. the road eventually loops south back to 520 but is a clay base about 7 kms in, so not a good idea when it is still really wet. I'll be back up in there in a week or two to check it out. The trail past the big muddy field looked interesting and there were a few trails branching off that google satellite view showed, that looked like fun.

This was taken up on Trout Creek Road before I hit the Mud, Snow and the ruts and Clay.
09 KTM 990 Adv