Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #3151
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I went through Grey Creek Pass last year in September and the signs did say the road was closed but there were no gates or anything across the road.
We made it through just fine but I did see where some large slumps (landslides) were forming that would make it impossible for a 4 wheeled vehicle to get through. And possibly a 2 wheeled one if it went any farther across the road.

We will probably have to wait until late June or early Aug for the first brave soul to go and have a look!
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #3152
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Fun looking rides above.

Once I came around to the idea that I could own 2 bikes started lurking, then decided on a vstrom 650. Owners love them and I hope to join them after taking it out for a ride. It will be good for powderface and similar roads and for longer pavement rides. (if I can believe what I have read about them)

Anyone recommend good tires for the wee strom. It has trail wings on their way out. What do guys recommend for using them for gravel use. I think skid plate and engine guards, anything else.

Of course if there is hooligan opportunity on a ride it has to be the xr650l.
That's awesome floss&fly, congratulations! I guess I didn't convince you to become an orange believer...I'm sure you'll love the Strom. Had I known I would have mentioned my banzai run I did a few days ago - 1000km in 10 hours, that would have been a good way to break it in!

For gravel I have TKC80's front and back, which are awesome but wear fast. I'm trying the K60 Scout on the rear next time. Haven't make up my mind for the front yet. Unfortunately I just put on my MT90 back on the rear (in prep for the 6000K in 7 days run on pavement next week that the 1000 km in 10 hours was a systems test for).

Btw, just in case I'm not the only one who doesn't (didn't) know any better...now, I've changed tires for many many years, usually an hour of swearing etc., but this time I used the method in this video (the way Dunlop mechanics do it). If you follow the order and direction of taking the beads off and inserting the tube etc., it took me only 10 minutes to change it (once off the bike, breaking the bead with the sidestand)! Probably everyone does it like this, but just in case here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f41SzK5ZHSU
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #3153
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarydrz View Post
First real ride on my new bike. 93 to Settlers road and then into Canal Flats for fuel. Camped at Findlay Falls. Next day I tried to get over to Fernie via the Bull River FSR. It's not open. I also learned that Grey Creek Pass will be closed for the season and possibly indefinitely due to land slides.

They said that last year too, but apparently it is passable if you are willing to ride some single track. Someone posted a RR about it.

I don't think that road will ever officially open again....

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #3154
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 790
Found a nice abandoned stretch on the way home from work and rolled through 1st, 2nd and up to redline in third on the back wheel on the big KTM. This bike is a bad influence. Even commuting can be fun!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #3155
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
They said that last year too, but apparently it is passable if you are willing to ride some single track. Someone posted a RR about it.

I agree.

If it gets worse, nothing a shovel, saw, and some sweat can't fix. Bikes only need a foot or two.

It's not the best thing we have, but I'd hate to see it removed / decommissioned. It's a nifty and quick way to get over to the Kootneys.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #3156
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Well I have to be someones tech support don't I.

Did you get new rain gear as well, considering the weekend forecast? May long, so it is bound to be wet and cold.
Got some good rain pants so might as well try them out. Ordered the Mitas E 07 Dakar and hope to get them soon. The deathwings on the strom now don't have much tread.

XSoCal, I have seen that video and it made my second tire change a much less frustrating task.

So much mud to ride through.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #3157
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post

Hmmm better ride it while I can I guess.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #3158
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I drove my truck over the pass mid September last year, and there was nothing to get excited about, a couple of spots you had to slow down and be careful, but I don't think I even used 4WD at all, any vehicle with a bit of clearance would have been fine.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #3159
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
I rode over in 2010 on a long weekend and there were all kinds of rental cars, minivans, etc. driving on the road. I wonder how many were blindly led there by their GPS? Making the road a bit rougher is probably not a bad thing.

BC seems to mark roads as closed but leave them actually open for a few years.

This road (from Top of the World Park to Premier Lake) was marked as closed but was passable - there was a beaver dam that had flooded the road. I went up it anyway and ran into a warden who was not too impressed to find me on the road. She said that they have to document that a road is unused for a period of time before it can be closed but off-road clubs keep using them, which prevents closure. I told her that she could document that I was using the road if she wanted to

This was the berm that they put up to keep people out:

I went from there to Grey Creek:

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #3160
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Rode out and back on the Powderface today. The road is in really good condition for anyone thinking about it for the weekend. As long as the rain holds off and it doesn't get too muddy.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #3161
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,224
Did a 4 hr ride at McLean Creek yesterday afternoon - conditions were excellent up on the west ridge (Swany's). Minimal mud and no snow... good riding to be had there now.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #3162
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
A question for those in the know.
My chain has required adjustment after each of the last few rides. Time for a new one? F800GS with 19000km.
Thanks
Paul
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #3163
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Thumbs down Lane closure

That sucks I always enjoyed that little trail especially the last little gully at the end on the south it will be missed
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #3164
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thanks Lycan.
Internet or is there a good place in town?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #3165
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
A question for those in the know.
My chain has required adjustment after each of the last few rides. Time for a new one? F800GS with 19000km.
Thanks
Paul
Yup, once you have to adjust after each ride or even during rides its time for a new one. I've tried all the major brands of o ring and x ring and they all seem to last me about 20000kms.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote