Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #5341
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Does any one want to trade my small touratech rack for your extra skid plate (factory or otherwise). I can add cash if needed to make up the difference. Shoot me a PM if you've got an extra bash plate you don't need.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #5342
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Found a bash plate, thanks

xaman screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 03:19 PM
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #5343
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Im interested and a little skeptical of this description because my self and at least five other people I know have xtanks which draw fuel through the breather valve into the main tank as the main tank empties. To plumb them in all we do is pull the breather hose off the tank breather ( that white hexagonal thingy in the photo) and push the fuel line off the xtank on instead and it will syphon. No need to fiddle taking bits out of the breather valve.
Why does the TT tank require this extra step?

Having rethought what I described and what you are stating above, I was mistaking in my explanation of why the breather check valve needed to be removed. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

The tank vent check valve does not need to be removed to allow the vacuum drag to occur from the TT tank to the stock tank. I believe it was recommended to me to remove the check valve to ensure free flow, as in no obstructions that could possibly hinder the flow gas.
I worked on some other bike projects but got back to the tank 2 weeks ago. I got the siphon to work eventually, but I had to seal the keyhole of the gas cap. It seems air was leaking in there an breaking the syphon. At times there is also a small gas weep around the gas cap, indicating my gas tank stays full and therefore siphoning. It looks like I may need a new gas cap, but BMW wants nearly a $100 for one, Anybody found an alternate replacement. I don't care if it is locking or not.

KP
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #5344
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
I worked on some other bike projects but got back to the tank 2 weeks ago. I got the siphon to work eventually, but I had to seal the keyhole of the gas cap. It seems air was leaking in there an breaking the syphon. At times there is also a small gas weep around the gas cap, indicating my gas tank stays full and therefore siphoning. It looks like I may need a new gas cap, but BMW wants nearly a $100 for one, Anybody found an alternate replacement. I don't care if it is locking or not.

KP
Touratech sell a replacement but it is no cheaper.

You can take the cap apart: Put it upside down on a bench, push the inner piece down against the spring and slide out the retaining pin. This will release the lock barrel. You can then replace the O ring that seals the barrel.

The weep around the gas cap will also cause a problem. You need to source a small piece of 2mm thick Viton rubber sheet. I googled it, found a supplier and emailed them, they were able to send me an offcut. Taking measurements from the original seal I drew 2 circles with a pair of compasses and cut it out with a Stanley knife. The supplier I used wont be much good as I'm in the UK.

Good luck

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #5345
khpossum
poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Touratech sell a replacement but it is no cheaper.

You can take the cap apart: Put it upside down on a bench, push the inner piece down against the spring and slide out the retaining pin. This will release the lock barrel. You can then replace the O ring that seals the barrel.

The weep around the gas cap will also cause a problem. You need to source a small piece of 2mm thick Viton rubber sheet. I googled it, found a supplier and emailed them, they were able to send me an offcut. Taking measurements from the original seal I drew 2 circles with a pair of compasses and cut it out with a Stanley knife. The supplier I used wont be much good as I'm in the UK.

Good luck
I saw that Touratech cap, but, maybe it is just me, that $160 seemed just a tad outrageous. I had the barrel apart, but did not notice the oring. I will do that again and get a replacement o-ring. I will see if I can hunt down some viton sheeting. Thanks!!

Update: found that sneaky little oring and got a new one. Also ordered some viton sheet. Since we live in the great country with its super high tech measurement system I could not find a metric thickness except in a huge quantity / price. But I did find a 6" x 6" x 3/32" sheet, just a bit thicker at 2.38 mm, but that may make the seal a little tighter.

I did find out the syphoning / sealing had worked reasonably well. When I took the gas cap off a lot of gasoline came out, it was filled well above the fill level. Good deal!

khpossum screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 02:08 PM
Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5346
khpossum
poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an extra xmoto seat with seat concepts upgrade (original xmoto vinyl and foam available too) that I could use for trade fodder :)
Probably just a dumb question, is the xmoto seat interchangeable with an xchallenge seat?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #5347
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
Probably just a dumb question, is the xmoto seat interchangeable with an xchallenge seat?
It is... When I bought mine, it had the XMoto seat installed... Same pan, different color cover...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #5348
WHALENTJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Windscreen

Anyone use one?
WHALENTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #5349
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHALENTJ View Post
Anyone use one?

National Deflector DX, removable. Works great for the highway.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #5350
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Look what I received this morning

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #5351
an13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Replace Touratech 20mm riser bolts with stainless steel "hardware/bolt store" ones, they tend to rust and bend very easily.
an13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #5352
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by an13 View Post
Replace Touratech 20mm riser bolts with stainless steel "hardware/bolt store" ones, they tend to rust and bend very easily.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #5353
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Nice!

Como hiciste para importar todo eso? Hasta donde yo sabia es un quilombo pasar cosas for aduana ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka View Post
Look what I received this morning

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #5354
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Any details you could share?
What material?
Where did you find the fuel cap and weld in nipple for it?
Dim's?

Thank you.
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40 View Post
I made my own 1.75 gal tank that looks and fits similar to the X-tank that's plumbed off the top of the factory's vent, same as everyone else's is plumbed and have only had one fuel flow or transfer issue in 16K miles. My only issue was due to the rubber gasket between the factory gas tank and the locking gas cap started to leak a little. I first noticed a little fuel leakage on the side of the tank after the bike was topped off. Then one one occasion the low fuel light came on at around 100 miles and no fuel was pulled from the accessory tank. That gasket leak at my main tank filler "broke" the vacuum that pulled fuel from my accessory tank as the main fuel was used. A quick tightening of the bolts that hold the filler in place brought everything back to Golden, and all has been well ever since.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #5355
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post

Como hiciste para importar todo eso? Hasta donde yo sabia es un quilombo pasar cosas for aduana ...
No seras oficial de Aduana o de AFIP no??

Trabajo para una compañía que representa acá en Arg a una empresa americana con headquarters en Houston.

Básicamente compro en TT USA, me lo hago enviar a Houston y cuando voy para allá o viene alguien para acá entra en equipaje de mano, que podes entrar hasta USD 300 legalmente.

En este caso, me encontre en Peru con una persona que venia de USA, me lo entrego y yo lo pase.

Con las cosas voluminosas es mas complicado.. pero tampoco es imposible, sabes como es el tema aca.. jejej

lo mismo hice con esto:

jabroka screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 08:05 AM
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote