Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #751
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
Took me 15 minutes to make that up I just happened to have a piece of wood the right size, 5 cuts with a circular saw and done ;). I would have done cardboard but this was easier on this occasion, I had already worked out the rough dimensions and the us5 was sat on the wood when I was in the garage,
You are way more talented with wood stuff than me, that wood have taken me an hour or two to construct. I'll stick to metal and cardboard. I don't think I have even one wood working tool, LOL.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #752
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
You are way more talented with wood stuff than me, that wood have taken me an hour or two to construct. I'll stick to metal and cardboard. I don't think I have even one wood working tool, LOL.
lol i can bodge things wood ok, but am totally useless with metal

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #753
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Review

I just went back through the posts on this site, and there are some really good posts here. It was a great way to spend some free time relaxing yesterdayy evening.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #754
howardbell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
riding gear question... in the thumper section? WTF

I'd love to ask you guys this question in a little more "appropriate" forum, but not sure one exists... Got my 570 after reading this thread because I wanted a do-it all, go anywhere dual sport - so now after just a few rides to shake down the bike and dust the cob webs off my (lack of) riding skills, I'm riding in my old road bike gear, and some of it fits the bill ok, but other times I think dirt bike gear is the way to go with this scoot. So, I know this isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of question and it might be a little pretentious to ask, but what do you guys wear while adventure traveling on your 70 degree machines? But specifically, helmets: Arai XD-4 dual sport helmet or Klim F4 off road helmet?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #755
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
Yeah, not exactly the perfect forum, but what the hell...

My take on things.

Arai makes helmets, that's all they make.

Klim is a multiple product brand owned by a big multination corporation that is 100% outsourced to China from a company that's very skilled at marketing.

While marketing is marketing, if you read the Arai marketing talk there's no denying their long proven reputation for producing some of best helmets on the market. I've gone down two times pretty hard with an Arai and won't buy anything else besides that or a Shoei, especially not from Klim.

Generally you should choose a brand by what you head fits in best, but Arai or Shoei is all I'll trust my head in.

http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=60

BTW, get yourself some proper off road riding gear. I've BTDT with street gear on dirt and have had the injuries in the past to show for my misplaced trust. Stiff Boots being the most important besides helmet, then a hard armor pressure suit, then a jacket to go over the pressure suit that will provide abrasion protection if you're on the street and keep you comfy in crappy weather. Pants with knee and hip armor or standalone armor with riding pants over it, gloves that cover the wrist and maybe even a neck protector to compete the package - a small investment in the best gear you can afford is likely to be the difference between riding home on your bike or in an ambulance and is much cheaper than hospital bills.

Says the guy who can't ride this summer with 4 broken bones.
Without the gear I had on it would have been much much worse....

Lots of gear threads in Equipment to help you figure out what brands for all the other stuff, like everything you have to sort out who's speaking from experience and who's not, then go try on stuff for yourself and get what works for you since gear is a very personal choice.

For dual sport ADVentures on the Husa I have a couple different Rukka jackets that go over a Thor Impact Rig SE pressure suit, BMW City Pant (excellent armor) for dry area riding like we have in SoCal Rukka pants for traveling, Sidi Crossfires and an Arai XD3 which I need to replace after taking a big hit recently. The rest of my gear is listed on my site, but again, it's what works for me and my size and there's lots of choices for quality gear out there.

Good luck!

Here's my garage queen, with no Husaberg Traveling to be done anytime soon, it's time for some needed love to keep me sane. One arm wrenching sure is interesting. ;)

Valves still in spec @ 15,000+ miles, though I did flip the shims just to give me something more to do.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 07:07 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #756
howardbell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thanks Finn, I appreciate your thoughts on the gear... as someone who has pushed riding gear as far as it can go -- and lived to tell the tale!

and damn... you do more wrenching one handed than I ever want to do with two
Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #757
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
i have both the arai and the klim, i use the klim for hot weather or serious offroad as its lighter and much better ventilation, but very noisy, when there's tarmac involved or the weather is cooler i go with the arai. Kit wise i run sidi boots like lost, with fox all weather gear over forcefield armour.

on a separate note one of my valves on my 09 450 needed adjusting at 200 hours/3500 miles last week

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #758
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Hey Finn.... you sick?!?!? That husa picture is all blurry!

must be the one arm camera shot!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #759
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,088
Thanks howard, we all have our opinions and I'm not lucky or skilled enough to have been injury free in my riding... good gear has undoubtably saved me many time from injury while riding and falling on the Husaberg, in the end what gear is a personal choice depending on your budget, what fits right and to a lesser extent the climate you ride in most. It's usually an evolution anyways to find what works for you and no matter how many people recommend one thing it might not be the best for you.
Seeing as you live in Bend OR you have Brian @ Atomic Moto right there and he knows his stuff and sells a wide variety of good gear, I bought some of my gear from him, give him a call I'm sure he can help you find your kit and probably sort out gear for packing the Berg for your upcoming ADVentures too.
http://www.atomic-moto.com

I too like to ride more than wrench, but I have to do something to pass the down time... I did need another hand getting a few pieces back together.

yeah Ben thanks for pointing out my crappy photo... it's all I got!

Hey Cyborg, did you ever get that KTM touring screen? I've been staring at my bike trying to figure out what I want to do for winter riding this year, a little protection would be nice, still thinking about that screen or making one out of Kydex.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #760
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Nice to see I'm not the only one with a ghetto bike stand - although mine is a closer match to the bike - it's bright yellow
Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #761
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Yeah, not exactly the perfect forum, but what the hell...

My take on things.

Arai makes helmets, that's all they make.

Klim is a multiple product brand owned by a big multination corporation that is 100% outsourced to China from a company that's very skilled at marketing.

While marketing is marketing, if you read the Arai marketing talk there's no denying their long proven reputation for producing some of best helmets on the market. I've gone down two times pretty hard with an Arai and won't buy anything else besides that or a Shoei, especially not from Klim.

Generally you should choose a brand by what you head fits in best, but Arai or Shoei is all I'll trust my head in.

http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=60

BTW, get yourself some proper off road riding gear. I've BTDT with street gear on dirt and have had the injuries in the past to show for my misplaced trust. Stiff Boots being the most important besides helmet, then a hard armor pressure suit, then a jacket to go over the pressure suit that will provide abrasion protection if you're on the street and keep you comfy in crappy weather. Pants with knee and hip armor or standalone armor with riding pants over it, gloves that cover the wrist and maybe even a neck protector to compete the package - a small investment in the best gear you can afford is likely to be the difference between riding home on your bike or in an ambulance and is much cheaper than hospital bills.

Says the guy who can't ride this summer with 4 broken bones.
Without the gear I had on it would have been much much worse....

Lots of gear threads in Equipment to help you figure out what brands for all the other stuff, like everything you have to sort out who's speaking from experience and who's not, then go try on stuff for yourself and get what works for you since gear is a very personal choice.

For dual sport ADVentures on the Husa I have a couple different Rukka jackets that go over a Thor Impact Rig SE pressure suit, BMW City Pant (excellent armor) for dry area riding like we have in SoCal Rukka pants for traveling, Sidi Crossfires and an Arai XD3 which I need to replace after taking a big hit recently. The rest of my gear is listed on my site, but again, it's what works for me and my size and there's lots of choices for quality gear out there.

Good luck!

Here's my garage queen, with no Husaberg Traveling to be done anytime soon, it's time for some needed love to keep me sane. One arm wrenching sure is interesting. ;)

Valves still in spec @ 15,000+ miles, though I did flip the shims just to give me something more to do.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I did my valve adjust Monday, and with only one arm, that would have been a chore. BTW, my Hussy is sporting the LOST and FREEDOM stickers now. They are favorites of mine, the express my mindset when I get on that bike perfectly. Thanks, and if we ever meet in person, I'll buy you a beer, but not a Pabst (a good microbrew instead).
Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #762
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
spam

I know the Bergs suffer the same problem as us KTM peeps so putting up for sale something that may be of interest to the DS people on the thread.

Complete DID 640 rim w/cush hub for sale.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post21474321
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #763
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I know the Bergs suffer the same problem as us KTM peeps so putting up for sale something that may be of interest to the DS people on the thread.

Complete DID 640 rim w/cush hub for sale.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post21474321
That sure didn't last long!

On a side note, what are quality used 570's going for? Don't see many of them up for sale on here. I know there was a period resale was kinda crap. Has that changed any?
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #764
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
That sure didn't last long!

On a side note, what are quality used 570's going for? Don't see many of them up for sale on here. I know there was a period resale was kinda crap. Has that changed any?
The good condition ones I have seen have been in the $7500 asking range..of course, not sure what they are getting
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #765
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
The good condition ones I have seen have been in the $7500 asking range..of course, not sure what they are getting
Well dang! Hoping they were going for more. Thinking about getting something bigger for whats available to ride here and to take the girlfriend along. I would have to sell for more than that to justify it. If not then I would lose my ass on the add ons. I know that is how it works but I may try to sell it for a little more and see if anyone is interested. Put an add together for anyone interested and link it here.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote