Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #8851
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
I'm going if I don't have to go to San Felipe!!

Question? Who carries a large stock of helmets in So. Cal.? Don't want to mail order.
Around here that would be the Big Box outfits like Bert's, Chapparal etc. Prices aren't all that great at either.

Cycle Gear has fewer offerings but almost always better pricing. There's on in Victorville, Berdoo and a few places down the hill.
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #8852
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,339
As for batteries, I recommend this one. http://estorebc.mkbattery.com/Catego...2001-2006.aspx

I have had very good luck with them. This battery fits all years '92-'07. I have a 2 XT225s, a '94 which is the one I ride, and a non running but great condition '01 that I bought as a spare/parts bike, or it wouldn't take much to get it going. Has a like new 3000 mile engine. Same battery fits them both.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #8853
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
Around here that would be the Big Box outfits like Bert's, Chapparal etc. Prices aren't all that great at either.

Cycle Gear has fewer offerings but almost always better pricing. There's on in Victorville, Berdoo and a few places down the hill.
Thanks for the helmet tips. By down the hill, where? Down the hill from where I live means Cochella Valley.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #8854
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Clutch

Hey everyone, has anybody ever had clutch problems? It seems like my clutch is slipping, it doesnt grab right away going from second to third gear or even popping the clutch in 2nd. I used to be able to pop the clutch aand slide the back tire around a turn, or pop up a wheelie in second but not so much anymore. is it just me or has anyone had a similar problem? It didnt start until I tightened the clutch lever.. could that effect it? Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #8855
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
It didnt start until I tightened the clutch lever.. could that effect it? Thanks
Yes. According to the service manual the end of the clutch lever should have 10-15 mm of free play. I usually give a little more free play than that. A tight clutch cable will keep the clutch from fully engaging and allow it to slip. The wrong oil could also cause similar problems.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #8856
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Thanks for the helmet tips. By down the hill, where? Down the hill from where I live means Cochella Valley.
I'm over on the Cajon Pass side. From anywhere in this desert "down the hill" is defined as "anyplace a nail will rust". So everything's "down the hill" from here.

I know of no big box outfits in your "down the hill". I got a couple closer to mine, and there's a Cycle Gear in Bewtyfool Downtown Victorville but most of them are a long haul from here.

But then there are no wolverines here, either. Seems a fair tradeoff.

Looking for anything in particular?

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 03:50 PM
Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #8857
N7XW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Thanks guys, appreciate the info on batteries. I need to get one quick so the Mrs. can ride again.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #8858
Adelphos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I'll never sell the XT, but I am looking at a v strom tomorrow for the longer trips. Maybe have one by next riding season if my back feels up to getting back into things

On a note actually related to this thread. I got the 06 XT running today. Tank is rusty and nasty inside and some of my tubing is corroded and cracked so I ordered some parts. Should be riding again by Mon-Wed depending on when they get here!
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #8859
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I know of no big box outfits in your "down the hill". I got a couple closer to mine, and there's a Cycle Gear in Bewtyfool Downtown Victorville but most of them are a long haul from here.

Looking for anything in particular?[/QUOTE]

Just a good selection, so I can find a helmet that fit's good on my big head! Tried on everything around here and just can't find 1 that fit's well.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #8860
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:

Looking for anything in particular?
Just a good selection, so I can find a helmet that fit's good on my big head! Tried on everything around here and just can't find 1 that fit's well.[/QUOTE]

In terms of selection Chaparral Motorsports in San Berdoo is probably top of list, followed by Bert's in Azusa.

There may be more but I'm prolly the wrong guy to ask cuz I'm not much of a helmet whore. I wear mid-to-low-range, full faced lids, paint them O.D. green so only a nearsighted tortoise would even consider touching them and I keep them until they either disintegrate or their face shields are so obsolete they're considered "vintage".
Old 05-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #8861
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Yes. According to the service manual the end of the clutch lever should have 10-15 mm of free play. I usually give a little more free play than that. A tight clutch cable will keep the clutch from fully engaging and allow it to slip. The wrong oil could also cause similar problems.
Phew. Thank you so much. I will let you know if loostening the lever a bit helps.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #8862
Robidob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Neutral hard to find

I took my 96 XT225 for a decent ride yesterday, this is the first time I have rode it with it being hot out and I was having issues with it being really hard to find neutral with the bike running any suggestions? Thanks
Robidob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #8863
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robidob View Post
I took my 96 XT225 for a decent ride yesterday, this is the first time I have rode it with it being hot out and I was having issues with it being really hard to find neutral with the bike running any suggestions? Thanks
New oil might help. It makes a difference in mine.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #8864
Slojoe
Easily Amused

Oddometer: 494
Clutch Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robidob View Post
The clutch basket has the driven gear riveted to the back side of the basket. Sometimes the gear will become loose from the basket (very little movement between the parts will cause the problem), this will cause the trouble finding neutral. The shop manual describes the problem as Circumferential play #8 on page 4-42. I have replaced 2 clutch baskets in 27000 miles on my 07 XT225. The problem gets worse as the engine gets warmer. Mine got to the point I could only get into neutral while rolling to a stop or by stopping the engine.
Slojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #8865
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 700
Went for a 100 mile ride this weekend on the XT about 90 of it on trails and FS roads. It was the first ride with the racetech emulators and fork springs as well as a much higher rate rear spring. It’s no super cross bike but it was much better then stock.

dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote