User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
brokejoke OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Kawasaki KLR 650 subframe dimensions

I'm doing a design project for college where we are designing a bicycle rack to put onto a motorcycle. I have perused the forums to the best of my abilities and have not been able to find the dimensions of the subframe. We're looking for the locations of the bolts, sizes, and possibly the materials used to create the subframe. This will help us dimension our frame design to match this bike model. If you can provide any diagrams or links, it would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note I called up Kawasaki today and was told the dimensions were not in the service manual.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Another common dual-sport model works as well, so long as it has a subframe standard, if it proves easier to find. My knowledge of motorcycles is very limited, so everything is appreciated. Thanks

P.P.S. Let me know if this isn't the correct subforum.
brokejoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
I wanna go out and pull my seat and side panels to get you some dims and pics but I will wait, maybe somebody has them available or an easier way. Or maybe they are more motivated right now.. ITS HOT HERE!! If you don't get the answers soon let me know and I will get them for you. I am sure the material is just mild steel.... You did know they make a bicycle rack for the KLR, didn't you?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
brokejoke OP
n00b

Thanks SkiBum, yeah I am aware of the 2x2, although the design my group is leaning towards is similar, we would like to come up with our own "unique" mounting system. At this point it doesn't look like anyone else is going to post up, given how heavy the traffic is. If you have the time it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Ill try to get to it tomorrow but I have shims coming in the next few days for a valve adjustment... How pressing is it?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
brokejoke OP
n00b

Any time in the next few days would be great, we have a rough CAD model that we're looking to finalize. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Exactly what dimensions do you need/want? I have my subframe off and completely disassembled, but don't have a whole lot of extra time to be sitting around measuring ever aspect of it. I can easily get you pictures of the subframe by itself though.

Try checking parts diagrams also, here and here may give you some idea. In some cases that gives you the bolt dimensions (eg the top mount to the frame uses an 8x30mm according to the parts diagram) and will give you the general mounting location. Don't know what you want in regards to materials, but the subframe is steel as for the specific makeup, good luck finding that.

securety10 screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 04:21 PM
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
brokejoke OP
n00b

I would like the dimensions of the upper part of the subframe, things like the length and width of the upper part of the frame (think mounting area). The distance from the rear end of the frame to to bolt locations, possibly the angle of the triangular flange? If there is a bolt on the top of the subframe, it would be great to get the distance to that as well. Also the size of the bolts used.

In response to the poster above, thank you for those links, they definitely helped conceive a general design.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokejoke View Post
I would like the dimensions of the upper part of the subframe, things like the length and width of the upper part of the frame (think mounting area). The distance from the rear end of the frame to to bolt locations, possibly the angle of the triangular flange? If there is a bolt on the top of the subframe, it would be great to get the distance to that as well. Also the size of the bolts used.

In response to the poster above, thank you for those links, they definitely helped conceive a general design.
If you would have replied a little sooner (figured you found info elsewhere) I probably could have done most of that, the subframe is still sitting on the work bench, been busy with other projects. But I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow and have to get packed and load my other bike tonight. I doubt I'll have any time before I leave and I won't be back until June 3. If I do have time tonight I will take a few measuements. Hopefully someone else can help you out if I can't get it done.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

I noticed you posted again too but like security10 I figured you had gotten your info. Bike was apart but back together again....