Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #76
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,449
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #77
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,449
I am not sure that the "hand made" video justifies the price but it's pretty cool.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #78
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,895
$10k for a 150cc scooter
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #79
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
If I thought it'd help me pick up one of the girls in the ads for it, I'd think about it, but without a pillion where would she sit? I'm guessing we'll see a few pics of celebs on one, but I don't expect to see one in person.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #80
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 823
10k.....I'll wait for the Chinese Knockoff.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #81
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
If I thought it'd help me pick up one of the girls in the ads for it, I'd think about it, but without a pillion where would she sit? .
on your lap... Where else???
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #82
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 548
I give Piaggio credit, the 946 may be impractical, and overpriced, but in the best Italian tradition it does exude style.

They have managed to create a profile unlike anything currently built by anyone. Yeah, the Chinese will probably steal the design, and one could argue all day that it's underpowered, or overpriced, or that a Honda PCX is more practical.

Those things may all be true, but this still wins on style alone, and how it will force other manufacturers to look at their own scooter designs and realize the bar has been raised. Rarely does the world look to Italy for practical, cheap and mass produced.

You all probably won't buy one, and neither will I, but scooterists everywhere are better off since Vespa has taken another step to advance their iconic brand.
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #83
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
a beautiful thing tho not exactly practical, 'bless the Italians. The world is full of soulless appliances. The 946 has a touch of grace about it that transcends spreadsheet analysis. It may not sell in large numbers but that's not the point. It will move design in the scooter market forward in a way that the Germans can only dream about and 20-30 years down the road odds are many of those lines will find their way into other people's products, sort of like the original Vespa's did 60 years ago.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #84
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I think Harley has finally been bested at selling an image for a ridiculous price. You can get a new 883 Sportster OTD for that much.

The thing about style is that it does not have to be expensive. Once designed, it can be mass produced just like anything else. That scooter, or at least one that looks just like it, could be sold for the same price as an LX150, with the same profit margin.

I used to think Honda's Joker was the coolest scooter around. Then a zillion Chinese knockoffs kind of turned me off to it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #85
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
As for design, it's different that's for sure. But, it wasn't until I saw a Vespa 300 in the showroom at my Aprilia dealer that I realized just how beautiful a Vespa is. So, this, just like all Vespas will no doubt be a head turner.

As for price, if I'm going to complain about the cost before I even own one, Vespa probably doesn't want me as a customer to begin with.

And for the record also, while not in the same category, I'd buy this little Italian Supermodel over the Forza or Burgman 200 in a heartbeat.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #86
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
If I were going to spend that kind of money, and wanted a Vespa, it would be the GTS300 Super for sure. 300cc. Highway capable. Looks great, it's a Vespa, and it's actually usable. But I'm having a hard time dealing with the idea of spending that kind of money on any scooter, when you can get some very nice motorcycles for that price. I do the same thing with motorcycles. You can get a new Mustang for the price of a new Goldwing. My little cheap 125s are just as much fun for me to ride as that, and I don't have to worry to much about them. I'd be afraid to ride that thing for fear of getting a scratch on it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #87
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If I were going to spend that kind of money, and wanted a Vespa, it would be the GTS300 Super for sure. 300cc. Highway capable. Looks great, it's a Vespa, and it's actually usable. But I'm having a hard time dealing with the idea of spending that kind of money on any scooter, when you can get some very nice motorcycles for that price. I do the same thing with motorcycles. You can get a new Mustang for the price of a new Goldwing. My little cheap 125s are just as much fun for me to ride as that, and I don't have to worry to much about them. I'd be afraid to ride that thing for fear of getting a scratch on it.
You (like me) aren't Vespa's target market for these then.

Believe it or not, there are people out there with willing hearts, and open wallets waiting to get their 'hooks on a 946.

There's an ass for every seat.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #88
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Yeah, I'd be willing to say the 946 is more of a showpiece. Just like those who ONLY ride to bike nights and to the Starbucks on Sunday morning in the most popular locations.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #89
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 548
Was just rereading through some of these and sort of enjoying the reactions to the 946. I'm old enough to remember peoples reactions when the '67 Mustang went to curved taillights rather than the flat ones from '64-66. Or VW when they changed from skinny bumper to the fat ones in '68. How about the '68 Corvette? Holy Cow, what a change that was.

Bottom line, design either changes or stagnates. Vespa has been making the current body style for 10 years, and honestly I can't tell a 2004 GT200 from a 2013 GTS300. They have to advance the brand or die. Piaggio makes arguably a much better modern scooter in the BV350, at least from a price/value/practicality perspective (beat to death on numerous forums) so Vespa has to differentiate itself as the uber premium scooter that people openly or secretly lust after.

Not an easy job, and the 946 may not be the direction, but I sure applaud them for not just following the same approach. Keep in mind the 350 engine is where they are heading, not the 300, so it's easy to understand why the first models are a 150cc to leverage the larger audience reaction- America may want big scooters, but we are by no means a bread & butter market for Vespa, we are barely a blip on their radar.

The GTS will take a complete redesign to wedge a BV350 drive train into it, so they are likely looking to assess what direction to take their big models. I wish them well.
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #90
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Was just rereading through some of these and sort of enjoying the reactions to the 946. I'm old enough to remember peoples reactions when the '67 Mustang went to curved taillights rather than the flat ones from '64-66. Or VW when they changed from skinny bumper to the fat ones in '68. How about the '68 Corvette? Holy Cow, what a change that was.

Bottom line, design either changes or stagnates. Vespa has been making the current body style for 10 years, and honestly I can't tell a 2004 GT200 from a 2013 GTS300. They have to advance the brand or die. Piaggio makes arguably a much better modern scooter in the BV350, at least from a price/value/practicality perspective (beat to death on numerous forums) so Vespa has to differentiate itself as the uber premium scooter that people openly or secretly lust after.

Not an easy job, and the 946 may not be the direction, but I sure applaud them for not just following the same approach. Keep in mind the 350 engine is where they are heading, not the 300, so it's easy to understand why the first models are a 150cc to leverage the larger audience reaction- America may want big scooters, but we are by no means a bread & butter market for Vespa, we are barely a blip on their radar.

The GTS will take a complete redesign to wedge a BV350 drive train into it, so they are likely looking to assess what direction to take their big models. I wish them well.
My sentiments exactly.

I wouldnt hold my breath for a 350-engined Vespa anytime soon though....but that powerplant is sweet!