ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
WallyWhirled OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Hey Mike!

Yes, that is Crazy Jeff. He tortured his bike on the pre-run a couple of weeks ago. He hasn't committed but he should be.

If returning to the starting point it's about 1,700 miles. First day is the longest. Second day is most diverse riding. Last day is mostly super easy fast highway miles.

There's room for a fair number of people to stay overnight at my place and probably Jeff's place too so you can be really close to the departure point.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Bump just because of the awesome title. Did anyone go on this butt burner. Weather should be perfect and a little cooler in the dez.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 391
Think he had it set for this weekend, nice loop would like to see ride report
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Any ride reports?
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
WallyWhirled OP
Studly Adventurer

Ride was a great success. Lots of fun. We had some flexibility in our schedules so we left earlier and included Moab and 2 more National Parks.

I have photos. Mom's in hospital. Between that and business I haven't had time to upload or write a proper ride report.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
WallyWhirled OP
Studly Adventurer

You've waited long enough. It's time for a Reefer report.

The Reefer Madness ride was originally scheduled for 3 days. We were going to hit 4 National Parks in One day, Joshua Tree, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef. That was Plan A.

Plan B is Always better...

The small group who did this ride had a little more schedule flexibility so we added 1/2 day and 2 more National Parks, Arches and Canyonlands.

As usual I didn't take many photos so have to share the few that were provided by others. Some riders left from southern CA and others we met in Las Vegas. The day started out something like this:

Why settle for one National Park when you can have so many? Here's a photo of the first National Park:

Duh, it was dark outside. The ride through Joshua Tree was, well, dark. After stretching our dirt legs on some mild Joshua Tree trails it was time for Slab City.

OK, not that Slab City. Sunrise came somewhere between 29 Palms and Amboy. The ride through the Mojave Preserve in the early morning hours is always beautiful. We hit a little bit of Route 66 before passing through Kelso and then eventually up to I-15 just before the Nevada line. Met up with the remaining riders in some brothel in Vegas. Grabbed a bite to eat, no, not at the brothel, and left Sin City ASAP.

The ride to Zion was uneventful. Picked up some road grub along the way. Then we hit the holiday weekend deadlock going into Zion. A couple of the riders (yeah, me too) needed a National Parks Pass so had to stop at the entrance. The rider in front of me told the lady he had a handicapped parking pass so they gave him a Free lifetime National Parks Pass . When she asked me if I were disabled also there was some internal debate then I said No. This isn't Zion. In fact I don't know where this was taken but it seems the report is overdue for a photo:

After Zion we rode up to Bryce Canyon:

Then up and over the Amazing Hwy 12 toward Boulder. Seeing a very pretty lady in Escalante I hooked a U. The excuse to talk to her being the location of the dirt road that goes over Backbone Bridge. She pointed us in the right direction and soon we crossed the bridge where evidently the world's first bulldozer tightrope act was performed as a bulldozer drove across a couple of planks pulling the bridge into place. Or something like that. I don't have a photo of that but I do have a photo of this:

You know you want one.

So now we arrive at Boulder and stop at the Boulder Grill. I think that's the name and I know I have photos but can't find them. Previous excursions in the area showed that the Boulder grill uses Local Beef . I will say that the burgers are freakin fantastic. The desserts, both the waitstaff and the food are equally fantastic.

After fueling bikes and bodies we undertook our first alteration of Plan A. Plan B had begun! We headed down the Burr Trail through Capitol Reef National Park all the way to Bullfrog. If you've never ridden down the Burr Trail it is something you really need to do. Incredible. Just can't describe it so go do it. While on the dirt road in Capitol Reef we passed a couple other adventure bike riders going super slowly in the opposite direction. They had no dust cloud but when I glanced in the rear view mirror that's all I could see behind us. Sorry. So we bagged our 4 National Parks in one day and there's still more to come.

At Bullfrog we threw our sleeping bags on the ground in the campground among hundreds of Lake Powell party boaters. The plan was to take the Ferry across the lake the next morning. Little did we know that our weakness for cheap booze and fast women would be our undoing that night. It was Kareoke night at the marina bar. Those of you who know me know that dancing was involved. Faster than we realized Last Call showed us out the door. There were some after last call festivities under the stars then lights out.

Next morning we chatted with the harbor master regarding alternatives to the ferry that was out of commission due to a 150 gallon antifreeze leak. We tried to get them to load our bikes onto a barge and carry us across but they were having nothing to do with that. Hangovers in hand we walked along the houseboats at the docks. Later we rode out to Hwy 95 which is definitely not lacking for scenery and great curvy riding. We crossed the Colorado River at Hite and got some gas. Talked to some Germans who were riding Harleys out West for about 6 weeks.

Took a little detour through Natural Bridges National Monument. Saw more pretty sights. Then at Blanding we we got off some of the main highways (that have about 1 car every 10 minutes) and onto some back roads. Saw some dude riding a Pumpkin in the opposite direction. He seemed surprised to see another KTM out in the middle of nowhere. Must not be from California. This back-road diversion took us here:

I'd hate to be the paperboy who had to lug that thing to subscribers.

From Newspaper Rock we headed up to Canyonlands National Park first stop:

The views here are phenomenal:

A shot of the road on the way to Needles Overlook:

We hit some more dirt and pretty much got lost on the way to Moab but along the way we ran into the Flintstones:

If you look closely you will see that people have carved houses into this rock. Word is that this is a Mormon polygymist nudist swingers club.

The Flintstones have a well-established tradition of living in rocks in this area:

Some have adapted to the times and made a commercial venture out of it:

We have almost made it to Moab now. Riding into town, before dark for once, we find no rooms at the inn. Or the campgrounds or just about anywhere else for that matter. One campground host allowed us to set up tents at the horseshoe pit. My ears are still ringing. It was free even. Off to town for some grub and brew. Gotta be careful where you drink in Utah or you'll get that watered down 3.2% beer. We are veterans and safely steer clear of that trap.

It's almost sunset so off we go for a quick ride through Arches National Park:

Next morning the plan was to ride some of the White Rim Trail on our way to Taroweap. That's when I learned that one of our team had a doctor's appointment in Beverly Hills at noon the next day. OK. We are on motorcycles in Moab. No problem.

We ride. Beside the Colorado River to Canyonlands, getting our 6th national park. The ride had to be altered a bit off my intended route as one of the group had a bike that wasn't really up to the task. Damned V-Stroms. While I was catching air he, well, he wasn't. Lots of issues offroad for that poor fellow.

We ride. Out of Canyonlands and up to I-70. Past Green River and down Hwy 24 toward Hawksville where there is a really cool convenience store/gas station that is carved inside of a rock, Flintstone style. Over Hwy 12 back to Boulder and a stop at the Boulder Grill. In Boulder I was taken by the dark side who convinced me that there was a comped room awaiting for me in Las Vegas. But I really wanted National Park #7, the Grand Canyon and one more night camping under the desert stars.

Eventually we ride I-15 into Vegas in the dark. Turns out there are no comped rooms. I am totally pissed. I don't have a doctor's appointment in Beverly Hills. I don't need to be pissed off in Vegas. I should be sipping Bourbon on the rim of the Grand Canyon right now. To top it off my bike needs a tampon. Oil leak? Great.

I mount up and ride the tail end of the Memorial Day holiday traffic back down to where my girlfriend is patiently waiting for me in Rancho Cuckoo:

Oh wait, that's not my girlfriend. That's some trailer trash. Here's my girlfriend:

That ride from Vegas was absolutely horrible. Super high winds. Tired. Lots of traffic on the stupor slab. Somewhere along the way we didn't run into this guy:

Or if we did run into him we would never admit it. But I'm pretty sure we met this guy:

From Moab to Rancho Cuckoo via as much back road riding as possible including about half of the White Rim Trail out-and-back and the Shafer Trail in one day. Pretty full day of riding. Actually a pretty full 3 days of riding.

A couple of shots of my bike on the White Rim trail:

Reefer Madness. I'ts a good thing. You should come along next time...If you're up for it.

WallyWhirled screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 07:14 AM
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Looks awesome!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
WallyWhirled OP
Studly Adventurer

Updated Reefer Report above with more photos and existing small photos enlarged enough to see.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,157
Nice report Wally.

No attempted bike thievery, I see.