Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #10681
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
The high oil pressure indicator makes itself known by the bath of 10W40 coming from the top of the engine, often anointing the rider's boots and/or creating a cloud of blue smoke as it contacts the exhaust pipe at stops...
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #10682
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Well, at least your boots are waterproof now if they weren't before

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #10683
Hamburgler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Sounds good,thx for the advice guys,ill leave it where its at since i put in the 2.4l.
Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #10684
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Re oil filling procedure, I grabbed the text from a BMW dealer TSB on it, it is available below

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/...OilFilling.pdf
Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #10685
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Fuck Touratech and their fucking stoneage designs #IMO_sucks

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #10686
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

I can see you are having a good day there Gravelseeker, care to enlighten us
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #10687
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Front Fork Dive

Hey all, as is the case with many Dakars, loaded with 200+ pound riders the front end seems a bit soft. I have located testimonies that new springs will make a significant difference..... and I believe that. However, does anyone have any insight on how the different brands compare. Two popular ones are Progressive and Tourtech. There is about a $75 difference in price between the two. Are there any other brands worth checking out?

I plan on taking the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route in July. Mostly long day trips with ~38 liter soft bags full of stuff and maybe maybe a couple of overnights, so include camping gear. We'll probably ride +/- 200 miles per day. That's about as aggressive as I plan to get with this bike. As I get older comfort and handling are replacing the need for speed and excitement.

In short, what brand of springs, spring rate, other mods to the exisiting front end would help. The seals are all good and I have 10w oil in the front shocks.

Next question is, what effect will changing the front end have on the rear shock. Which also seems a bit squishy. Are they rebuildable? I really have not looked back there yet.

I'll be riding Trak Master II's if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!!
BKWags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkS-XI4w61s&feature=player_embedde

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

bkwags screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 08:04 AM
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #10688
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

You are wasting your time and money with changing the springs, it will only make dirt road performance worse

The problem is the forks are piston rod forks which means the compression and rebound damping is the same and hence the front end uses very stiff springs compared to cartridge forks where the pathways are separated

You want to improve the forks fit Ricor intiminators to separate the compression and rebound damping circuits or go to a cartridge fork like the YZ forks

You can read about it at f650.com or here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ForkUpgrades.html

To put it into perspective the KTM 900's use a 0.48 spring, the far lighter Dakar uses 0.6, the difference is cartridge fork vs piston rod fork

WayneC1 screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 08:40 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #10689
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
You are wasting your time and money with changing the springs, it will only make dirt road performance worse

The problem is the forks are piston rod forks which means the compression and rebound damping is the same and hence the front end uses very stiff springs compared to cartridge forks where the pathways are separated

You want to improve the forks fit Ricor intiminators to separate the compression and rebound damping circuits or go to a cartridge fork like the YZ forks

You can read about it at f650.com or here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ForkUpgrades.html

To put it into perspective the KTM 900's use a 0.48 spring, the far lighter Dakar uses 0.6, the difference is cartridge fork vs piston rod fork
What he said. It makes an improvement but not enough to be worth it vs. the gold valve or ricor intiminators + springs.

I had my old 2001 Dakar done by Traxxon Dynamics and they were FAR superior to the stock set up.

The YZ swap is the next step up from that....
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #10690
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
can anyone give me some suggestions...

ive got an intermittent fuel leak on my 2005 dakar..
the fuel pools inside the top of the fuel pump assembly and then pours down the left side of the bike..

i thought at first the fuel pump cap inside the big donut was cracked, but on closer inspection it seems fine and what i thought was a crack is just a plastic moulding line. the fuel hoses seem ok, and nothing else obviously is out of place. the bike only has 7000km (2500 of which were put on it last week)

so any suggestions of what to check?
cheers
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #10691
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

The leaks in the top of the tank are from cracking of the cap or a poor O Ring seal, well documented over at f650.com

Have some pics at the bottom of this page http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/FuelPumpRepair.html
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #10692
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The leaks in the top of the tank are from cracking of the cap or a poor O Ring seal, well documented over at f650.com

Have some pics at the bottom of this page http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/FuelPumpRepair.html
On further inspection it seems like fuel is leaking from under the big ring screw cap. The top of the fuel pump where the hoses and wiring goes seems fine thankfully as correct me if I'm wrong but that can't be purchased alone and only comes with a new fuel pump (at over $500!!!)

So assuming its leaking from the screw on part is a new o ring likely to fix it?
Cheers
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #10693
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
On further inspection it seems like fuel is leaking from under the big ring screw cap. The top of the fuel pump where the hoses and wiring goes seems fine thankfully as correct me if I'm wrong but that can't be purchased alone and only comes with a new fuel pump (at over $500!!!)

So assuming its leaking from the screw on part is a new o ring likely to fix it?
Cheers
There's a big rubber seal under that plastic screw on ring. If you check it you will almost certainly find it is split. I had the same problem with mine and put in a new seal and is been fine ever since. It is a little tricky to install because as you lower the pump assy into the top of the tank it tends to roll the seal over out of position. It only takes a little patience and lube to get it to seat properly tho.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #10694
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
There's a big rubber seal under that plastic screw on ring. If you check it you will almost certainly find it is split. I had the same problem with mine and put in a new seal and is been fine ever since. It is a little tricky to install because as you lower the pump assy into the top of the tank it tends to roll the seal over out of position. It only takes a little patience and lube to get it to seat properly tho.
im hoping and thinking that is what is the likely cause.. i'll grab a new rubber seal and give it a shot..
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #10695
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
That sucks.
Wonder if it'll warn when the oil pressure gets too high or just when it's low.
When doing oil change, i always drain about a liter first. Then start the bike for a second or two. Low oil lights up indicating the sensor works. Switch off the bike then continue draining.
I always top up 2 liter of fresh oil. Its easier to top up rather than drain out.
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote