Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #16
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Thanks for the info. It shit the bed in ozark at i40
We are staying in eureka springs. Had to double back up 23 75 miles thru rain fog & darkness. Lost a lens from my glasses along the way, LONG DAY
well that puts you much closer to the BMW shop in Bentonville..good luck!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #17
ducnek OP
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 978
5 Things I learned in the Ozarks

1. FOG! If it has rained, might rain later, chance of rain, or looks like rain, expect fog for an hour or two at dawn and dusk. Almost any elevation around 2k ft will be socked in, visibility around 50'-100'.

2. The paved roads are in excellent shape, mostly gentle sweepers, well maintained. There are speeds posted at lots of curves to judge the approach/departure speeds by. There are no bad 2 lane highways in NW AR. You can ride the twisties for hours and not really go anywhere. The locals will usually pull over and let a bike pass. I saw zero cops shooting radar etc., I was there for a week. The FS roads usually connect with each other and are endless. The longer the number the rougher the road. If there is a long number with letters at the end of it, it's a goat path. Your GPS will get confused regularly.

Typical FS road, some of them have way more rock, lots are doable with big bikes

3. People are very friendly. It's not deliverance. Everywhere we stopped someone asked about our trip or offered a good road. My buddies bike broke down, and 3 different people stopped and asked if we needed help. We ended up having a wheel bearing replaced at Kens Truck repair at I40 in Ozark. great people, and very reasonable prices. This dude made a few calls and helped us out on the bearing repair. Can't remember his name, nice guy.

4. I never had a bad meal the whole week. Skip the chain restaurants, and fast food. Hit up a small mom & pop, and get the special. If you are within a half a days ride, go to the Oark store and get a bacon chee. Save room for pie. The peanut butter pie at the Oark store is ridiculous.

5. Dry counties are really just a suggestion. If you happen to end up in a dry county, just ask almost anyone where you can get a beer. Seriously, it's not a problem.

Can't wait to get back!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #18
ducnek OP
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 978
Thanks to all of the ADVers who PM'ed me, txtd me, posted in this thread, etc. You guys are awesome.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,639
Glad you got fixed up ok.
great summary of the area!
Great roads, plenty of good food, and friendly
people.