Too much talk

Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #2687
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
BMW dealers get 50% profit on new bikes and parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Sorry to say, but you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about.
Seems to be a recurring theme with him. I want to put him on ignore, but his endless word vomit is mildly entertaining.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #2688
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,364
Quote:
Sorry to say, but you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about.

The markup on BMW Motorcycles run between 11 and 13%.
Thanks, Dean... I knew he was way out in left field and was hoping someone with credentials would step up.

I'd heard other mfr'rs as high as the 17% range, from people working in the biz - but those numbers are probably close to 20 yrs old. The market has changed....but 50% commission is so outlandish it was tough to reply to his post with a straight face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Seems to be a recurring theme with him. I want to put him on ignore, but his endless word vomit is mildly entertaining.
it does make you want to check the thread more often to see what kind of expertise he's putting out there, doesn't it
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #2689
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,364
Chuffa - what tires you have on your Terra, and how do you like 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #2690
Pacificus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I'm seriously considering buying a Terra. I only learned of the existence of the bike today after I read in MCN about the current discount. I have a few concerns and would be grateful for any help addressing them.

I've only seen pictures of the bike thus far as the nearest dealer is 50-miles away. I'm concerned that the seat is too short to accommodate me and a box of bananas at the same time and with a top-box fitted. I've only ever owned Kawasakis – currently a '09 KLX250, which can easily accommodate these things. (Every couple of weeks I collect around 70 kg of bananas and other fruits & vegetables using the bike, which leaves just enough seat space for a tolerable 30-miles journey back home.)

Other points of concern:

1) the crappy plastic rack
2) fitting a suitably sized windscreen
3) instrument panel – I don't like the layout, and would prefer two separate indicator lights instead of one
4) can I get a real-time miles per gallon/fuel consumption meter?
5) the instability with the wheels at high speed problem
6) lack of a suitable locking point on the frame to accommodate a security chain (such as the Oxford Nemesis) for securing the bike to a lamppost or other street furniture)
7) lack of an on-off light switch (front and rear). Does the US version have this? UK bikes do not.

Other than being a little on the heavy side, and the shape of the seat (I prefer straighter enduro designs such as that on the KLX250), it seems pretty good – although I don't like red and will look into the vinyl covering mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks.
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #2691
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

The markup on BMW Motorcycles run between 11 and 13%.
Come on Dean, Mr. RRide is our foremost expert here and is past president of the So Cal Wino Assoc. Read his past posts and you'll see the pure brilliance and depth of his knowledge!

Just ask "Rugged Exposure", he'd rather listen to RRide than Alan Cathcart about the future of Husqvarna!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #2692
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Chuffa - what tires you have on your Terra, and how do you like 'em?
Pirelli MT21's front and back. They gave me the wobble problem at 120kph until they were over 2000km old. The noise is really loud/bad when you get above 80kph (kind of expected this though). They are now performing pretty well but they don't really suit the pea gravel roads we have an abundance of locally. I've been told this a few times since I've had them on the bike and until they were broken in I would have agreed. I went for them because I've used them in the past & they are cheap enough.

I will be trying something else next tyre change, the bike just didn't feel the same after they were fitted. I'm happy to try a new combo at each change but I will try and get a few km out of each set, so they stay on for now. I do like the knobblier tyre on the rear for the corrugated roads, so the next choice might be tough.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #2693
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificus View Post
I'm seriously considering buying a Terra. I only learned of the existence of the bike today after I read in MCN about the current discount. I have a few concerns and would be grateful for any help addressing them.

I've only seen pictures of the bike thus far as the nearest dealer is 50-miles away. I'm concerned that the seat is too short to accommodate me and a box of bananas at the same time and with a top-box fitted. I've only ever owned Kawasakis – currently a '09 KLX250, which can easily accommodate these things. (Every couple of weeks I collect around 70 kg of bananas and other fruits & vegetables using the bike, which leaves just enough seat space for a tolerable 30-miles journey back home.)

Other points of concern:

3) instrument panel – I don't like the layout, and would prefer two separate indicator lights instead of one
6) lack of a suitable locking point on the frame to accommodate a security chain (such as the Oxford Nemesis) for securing the bike to a lamppost or other street furniture)
7) lack of an on-off light switch (front and rear). Does the US version have this? UK bikes do not.

Other than being a little on the heavy side, and the shape of the seat (I prefer straighter enduro designs such as that on the KLX250), it seems pretty good – although I don't like red and will look into the vinyl covering mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks.
I'll see if I can address this one.

A) Yep, it sucks. Hepco & Becker has a rack out now. I'm sure others will follow. There was a better factory rack in the literature on the bike, but nobody in the US has seen it yet. Maybe you'll have better luck in Europe. Or, you could always fabricate your own to specifically fit your needs. This is normally cheaper than buying aftermarket, and you're guaranteed to get a better product.

A) Ride it without one, you might be surprised. The common myth is that "size" makes a better windscreen. This couldn't be further from the truth. You have to find a windscreen that redirects airflow without creating buffeting. Improper airflow will tire you out more than no windscreen at all. The reports are that the stock windscreen deflects the air off the chest for a 5'8"-5'10" rider, and leaves them with no buffeting and a good stream of fresh air around the helmet. That is precisely what a proper windscreen should do.

A) Do they make bikes with decent instrument panels anymore? The only modern bike that I like the instrument panel on is my Ural. I hate this digital dash crap. But, it is something I've come to deal with.

A) No clue. The on-board computer calculates average consumption on the current tank. It doesn't seem to remember very far back. Don't get me wrong, I loved my old BMW 5-series with the fancy L/100km needle swinging on the bottom; it was great for hypermiling. But I don't find myself with enough time to really look at one of those on a motorcycle.

A) I have yet to see this manifest on my bike. I see this mentioned mostly from riders in Australia. Perhaps Husqvarna Australia did something different when importing the bikes? Perhaps it is just a tire balancing issue? I can't help you there, as I have not experienced it.

A) Can't help you here. This is not something I consider when I buy a bike.

A) Haven't seen one of these on a bike from the factory in years. Just wire in your own. It'll cost you a $10 bucks at most.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #2694
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,145
BTW, just a FYI, Harley D has the highest mark up in the M/C industry.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #2695
Pacificus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'll see if I can address this one.

A) Yep, it sucks. Hepco & Becker has a rack out now. I'm sure others will follow. There was a better factory rack in the literature on the bike, but nobody in the US has seen it yet. Maybe you'll have better luck in Europe. Or, you could always fabricate your own to specifically fit your needs. This is normally cheaper than buying aftermarket, and you're guaranteed to get a better product.

A) Ride it without one, you might be surprised. The common myth is that "size" makes a better windscreen. This couldn't be further from the truth. You have to find a windscreen that redirects airflow without creating buffeting. Improper airflow will tire you out more than no windscreen at all. The reports are that the stock windscreen deflects the air off the chest for a 5'8"-5'10" rider, and leaves them with no buffeting and a good stream of fresh air around the helmet. That is precisely what a proper windscreen should do.

A) Do they make bikes with decent instrument panels anymore? The only modern bike that I like the instrument panel on is my Ural. I hate this digital dash crap. But, it is something I've come to deal with.

A) No clue. The on-board computer calculates average consumption on the current tank. It doesn't seem to remember very far back. Don't get me wrong, I loved my old BMW 5-series with the fancy L/100km needle swinging on the bottom; it was great for hypermiling. But I don't find myself with enough time to really look at one of those on a motorcycle.

A) I have yet to see this manifest on my bike. I see this mentioned mostly from riders in Australia. Perhaps Husqvarna Australia did something different when importing the bikes? Perhaps it is just a tire balancing issue? I can't help you there, as I have not experienced it.

A) Can't help you here. This is not something I consider when I buy a bike.

A) Haven't seen one of these on a bike from the factory in years. Just wire in your own. It'll cost you a $10 bucks at most.

1) I can't find this Hepco & Becker rack. It isn't a plate to fit to the existing rack on the bike but an entirely new rack altogether that I seek. I saw in this thread the pictures of a rack which failed on a bumpy dirt road. The standard rack seems to be plastic, which is not the best choice of material.

4) Real-time fuel consumption computer. I found this:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

It would need a new waterproof case and I'm not sure how to go about connecting it to the bike in electrical terms. Does the TR650 have a socket into which a mechanic would connect a computer for on-board diagnostics? If so, is it a standard connection?

6) Here n the UK there are thieves all over the place. I've had several bikes stolen over the years – m/cycles and bicycles. I don't feel confident even when they are locked. A locking point is essential. If there isn't one on the frame, would a lock through the forks or rear wheel suffice, even though these components can be removed? I know it's about deterrent rather than anything else. The question therefore is: would a typical thief take apart a TR650 on a fairly busy street in order to steal most of it?

7) A light switch is essential. I could add one but would prefer an easy-access thumb switch where one is supposed to be located on the handlebars. Mounting any switch might prove problematic as it would need to be waterproof and most likely require a special bracket.

Thanks for your reply, RD.
Pacificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #2696
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 149
I suppose the news has reached everywhere... but as there has been plenty of discussion in this thread about the Husky sale and consequences...

http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/co...aberg-reunited

Husqvarna and Husaberg to join. Parts & service to remain for all 2013 models.

Got bike. Got parts. Gone riding.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #2697
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 748
So now the blue KTM’s will be red KTM’s?
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #2698
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
[QUOTE=AltRoute;21410407][COLOR=#cdcdcd][FONT=Verdana]That

i lied it was 148.04 shipped. well worth it
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #2699
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #2700
zsmiley88
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Joined the culb

Morning ladies and gentlemen. Got my Terra two days ago and have just reached 300 miles. I love it. It perfectly suits my needs. I have a 140 mile round-trip commute to school and despise sports bikes or cruisers. Plus I fancy my self a dirt rider. I'd love to post a picture, but can't seem to make it work.
zsmiley88 is offline   Reply With Quote