User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

Oddometer: 795
BMW Airhead Parts

Fellow Adventure Riders, I have been riding Air-cooled BMW's for the last 25 years, having owned over 20 of these fine machines and still having 6 in the garage. I have also owned and ridden Bricks and Oilheads, like most of you I have modified my bikes, added a bit of bling and made them fit a bit better and go harder and carry more crap. Due to the non-availability or high cost of locally sourced genuine BMW products and aftermarket parts I sourced many parts from overseas and often visited parts supplies when travelling. To defray the cost of travelling I often brought back extra parts for friends. Many times, however I found that the parts I wanted were not available and had to be custom-made. One such part is an electronic ignition system for airhead motorcycles from 1981 through two 1996. I have found over the years that the weak point in the original BMW ignition system is the Hall Effect trigger and the centrifugal advance weights and springs. Centrifugal ignition advance is problematic at best and really a technology that had been abandoned by automakers many years ago. Also should a Hall Effect trigger fail the bike stops. Many adventure riders carry a spare ignition can “bean can” in case of this type of failure.
About a year ago I decided to design a new ignition system plagiarising what I could from the best ideas used around the world. In combining all that knowledge into a new product being an electronic advance ignition system that is a plug and play option for our air cooled BMW Motorcycles. During the manufacturing process I have had twin Hall Effect triggers fitted, so in the event of failure of the prime trigger all that is required is a changeover of a plug and you are back on the road.
Ignition advance is handled within a new ignition control module that replaces the existing BMW unit under the fuel tank. No longer will sticking advance weights cause an excessively high idling speed and rough running particularly off idle. This system produced a smoother running engine with superior torque particularly off idle (great for low speed tracks and those creek crossings).
I have many other BMW parts available including 450 Watt alternator units for both early model (R90S) and later model airheads $450, high output voltage regulators $39.95, heavy duty replacement diode boards $95.00, rebuildable Para-Lever Drive shafts $650, Nippondenso starter motors for early model and later model airheads $450 (no more dropped magnets from faulty Valeo starters).
The cost of the complete ignition system is $450 (identical systems with a single Hall effect trigger are available for $375). Units for Twin Plugged bikes also available just let me know what you need. Guaranteed for 12 months from purchase, spare parts available. I am located in Brisbane pick-up's welcome. Shipping within Australia $12.50, overseas $30.00.

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Uploaded at Picoodle.com

Bulldust screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 01:35 AM
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,965
`Bout time you came out of the closet, John.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
`Bout time you came out of the closet, John.
Most of my stock went into the parts bin for your new bike Dave.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,965
That parts bin must be full to overflowing by now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
That parts bin must be full to overflowing by now.
Time you started to glue it together.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Ignition advance is handled within a new ignition control module that replaces the existing BMW unit under the fuel tank (let me know what model bike you have so I can include the appropriate bracket).
Looks tidy.
Nice to see alternatives develop.

Does this live in the same place, under the tank?Is it included in the $450?

What spare parts do you envisage will be required?

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 08:39 PM
boxerboy81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
Looks tidy.
Nice to see alternatives develop.

Does this live in the same place, under the tank?Is it included in the $450?

What spare parts do you envisage will be required?
All included in the $450, PM me and let me know your email address and I can send photos of the instalation on my R100GSPD Classic.

Spare parts? None really required I have a inital production run of 50 units in stock and have tested 3 prototypes on 3 different bikes for over 50,000 kilometres so I anticipate no real problem. Design is simple.

John Olive
Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,331
[QUOTE=Bulldust;19519915]

Uploaded

That is smart and a good price.

Hmm.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

[QUOTE=davorallyfan;19531036]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post

Uploaded

That is smart and a good price.

Hmm.
I have 10 bikes equipped with these now in Australia, all report a lot smoother engine running, better low end response and torque and improved fuel consumption.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
ontic

Oddometer: 1,037
Thanks for the PM John,
I thought I might as well ask here rather than by PM.
Could you expand some discussion on your units for twin plugged bikes?
Feel free to speak in general terms, though if you want to get specific my bike is a G/S, will have 1000cc siebenrock barrel piston combo, will have a 296 camshaft (engine work mostly 2K to 5.5K), vm34 mikunies... etc.

I'm actually quite interested in a powerdynamo set-up (twin plug version) but am still 'shopping' now and for a while yet.

Post up here or if you'd rather PM that is fine with me too,
Cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Thanks for the PM John,
I thought I might as well ask here rather than by PM.
Could you expand some discussion on your units for twin plugged bikes?
Feel free to speak in general terms, though if you want to get specific my bike is a G/S, will have 1000cc siebenrock barrel piston combo, will have a 296 camshaft (engine work mostly 2K to 5.5K), vm34 mikunies... etc.

I'm actually quite interested in a powerdynamo set-up (twin plug version) but am still 'shopping' now and for a while yet.

Post up here or if you'd rather PM that is fine with me too,
Cheers,
My setup has two options for twin plug BMW's as yours has Mikunies I would recommend my 22 degree Ignition Module seting the idle advance at 6 DBTDC with a maximum advance of 28 degrees. With stock Bings and a twin plug setup I set idle at 0 degrees with a 26 degree maximum advance.

I use this setup on my 1996 R100GSPD with a 1070 long rod Seibenrock Barrell/Piston/Rod/Cam kit stock Bings jetted down to suit the larger capacity, twin plugged with early model S heads and large valves.

I also use it on my 1990 R100GS Twin Plugged.

The powerdynamo setup is quite different being a CDI, and I understand quite limited in electrical power output. I use (and stock) 450 watt alternators as I often have extra lights, heated grips and a heated vest running so 280 watts is not enough for me, on a race/rally bike it might be the go. Powerdynamo setup is crank mounted too so no option for a spare Hall Effect sensor, if it fails (as they sometimes do) then you are walking.

Good luch with your search.

John Olive.

Bulldust screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 05:51 PM
Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
My setup has two options for twin plug BMW's as yours has Mikunies I would recommend my 22 degree Ignition Module seting the idle advance at 6 DBTDC with a maximum advance of 28 degrees. With stock Bings and a twin plug setup I set idle at 0 degrees with a 26 degree maximum advance.

I use this setup on my 1996 R100GSPD with a 1070 long rod Seibenrock Barrell/Piston/Rod/Cam kit stock Bings jetted down to suit the larger capacity, twin plugged with early model S heads and large valves.

I also use it on my 1990 R100GS Twin Plugged.

The powerdynamo setup is quite different being a CDI, and I understand quite limited in electrical power output. I use (and stock) 450 watt alternators as I often have extra lights, heated grips and a heated vest running so 280 watts is not enough for me, on a race/rally bike it might be the go. Powerdynamo setup is crank mounted too so no option for a spare Hall Effect sensor, if it fails (as they sometimes do) then you are walking.

Good luch with your search.

John Olive.
Hi John, could you elaborate on your dual plug setup a bit more please. Pics on the ignition modules ?
What coils are comparable with the setup?
Thanks Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Hi John, could you elaborate on your dual plug setup a bit more please. Pics on the ignition modules ?
What coils are comparable with the setup?
Thanks Phil
Uploaded at ImageFra.me

The Dual trigger setup is a redundant Hall Effect trigger, if one fails plug in the other and away you go. Ignition module is the same case as the upgraded BMW unit with the larger heat sink. BMW manufactures mounts for most of its bikes for this module, I stock most of them. The trigger unit is compatable with all normal coils single and twin plug units.

If you want more information on Dual Plugging the heads etc, let me know.

John Olive

Bulldust screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 04:30 AM
Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
Bulldust OP
Bulldust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrlYXgadDBQ

Nearly finished the latest project.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
maxx668