Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #8926
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Thanks. Actually tonite I took off in 2nd gear by mistake and it was a lot smoother!

I am actually digging my choice of black crashbars now. it looks a lot more brutal!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=551
I am still waiting for the upper bars (and the LED fog lights). Side cases not fitted in the pictures.

The crashbars make it look more agressive and 'heavy duty', less sporty.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #8927
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingjetpilot View Post
Yes, sorry for the mix up. I have the Metzler Tourance Next's.
Ah the Next. Very impressive wet test I saw on them. One of my heart in the throat issues. I was wondering about the Pilot Road Trails since I am mostly on roads...I have the Met Tourance last generation tires on my GS Rallye.
Also I get a ruma ruma ruma sound from the bike and was thinking it sounds like mechanical parts going in and out of sync but maybe tires. However when I pull in the clutch and coast, it kind of goes away.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #8928
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Thanks. Actually tonite I took off in 2nd gear by mistake and it was a lot smoother!

I am actually digging my choice of black crashbars now. it looks a lot more brutal!
I like black crash bars, scratches are easy to touch-up and it's hard to notice them afterwards.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #8929
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
You might try adjusting the clutch and brake levers at the levers themselves. Push out on the lever and move the dial there so that the lever comes closer to the grip. I did that and it now engages like what I'm used to with my other GSs.

Quote:
My biggest problem really is getting the RPM correct and clutch release correct when taking off particulalry on a slight or steep hill. I just can not find the sweet spot. I seem to be over revving it as I am not confident taking off around 2000 rpm as I think it might stall but it probably wont.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #8930
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
You might try adjusting the clutch and brake levers at the levers themselves. Push out on the lever and move the dial there so that the lever comes closer to the grip. I did that and it now engages like what I'm used to with my other GSs.
On the bike I test rode I found that setting the dial to 1 for the clutch lever worked best for me. That was surprising as I usually like the lever further out.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #8931
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,444
This thread is too long to search so I'll just ask:

Has anyone posted pictures of the BMW crash bars installed on the wethead?

Does anyone remember who or where the pic is?

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #8932
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
This thread is too long to search so I'll just ask:

Has anyone posted pictures of the BMW crash bars installed on the wethead?

Does anyone remember who or where the pic is?
Look in the show us your bike thread.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #8933
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 203
Still waiting for my BMW crash bars to arrive at my Escondido (SoCal) dealership.

So has anybody received theirs yet? How about the BMW luggage rack?
'05 Aprilia Tuono Factory R
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #8934
Farang Paul
A Late Convert

Oddometer: 14
How is the new bike in hot weather?

I had to order my new LC without a test ride.

Sales here in Thailand are good (despite the price being double that in the USA and Europe). Dealers are moving the new model faster than they can get them from the Fatherland and see no need for a demo.

I borrowed a 2006 GS and was happy with everything except the heat being generated from the engine in stop/start traffic. The ambient temp. here is 34 centigrade so riding fully geared up can be hell on wheels, if the bike is blowing heat up your leg it makes it even worse.

I read lots about the semi water cooled engine improving efficiency but nothing about whether it adds to comfort.

Ironically the only spec I could buy and not be on a waiting list for 6 months includes heated grips!

Hope someone on this forum with experience of the LC in a similarly hot climate can ease my fears that I should have gone for a fully cooled Tenere or Triumph
Farang Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #8935
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang Paul View Post

Sales here in Thailand are good (despite the price being double that in the USA and Europe). Dealers are moving the new model faster than they can get them from the Fatherland and see no need for a demo.

I borrowed a 2006 GS and was happy with everything except the heat being generated from the engine in stop/start traffic. The ambient temp. here is 34 centigrade so riding fully geared up can be hell on wheels, if the bike is blowing heat up your leg it makes it even worse.

I read lots about the semi water cooled engine improving efficiency but nothing about whether it adds to comfort.

Ironically the only spec I could buy and not be on a waiting list for 6 months includes heated grips!

Hope someone on this forum with experience of the LC in a similarly hot climate can ease my fears that I should have gone for a fully cooled Tenere or Triumph
Where I live it is highly doubtfull I will ever experience 34C. But a fully watercooled bike also emits lots of heat in city start stop traffic.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #8936
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang Paul View Post

Hi;

I live in São Paulo, Brazil. We are in the tropics and, at least during the summer months our weather gets quite hot. Temperatures above 30º C are an everyday occurrence with highs up to some 38º C.

Over the years I have had a number of water cooled bikes with the implicit electric fan ( VStrom DL 1000, Kawasaky ZX 11, VMax, Suzuki 750, etc ) so I am quite familiar with heat that blows up your legs. Of those, the ZX 11 was by far the worst as when the fan started to blow my legs started to cook ! I remeber once I went for a short ride wearing shorts ( didn't know better then...) and just couldn't ride it !

On the other hand I am surprised that you found the 2006 GS heated your legs too much. I have had 3 GS before my LC and found them to be the most bearable heat wise of all the bikes I had in the 41 years I have been riding. On those 3 GSs I have ridden over 180.000 Km so I can say I have some experience. Furthermore, I use motorcycles on a daily basis as I don't own a car anymore. ( I just gave up on our local traffic ).

On my first test ride on the LC I paid much attention to this problem as living in a hot climate just as you do, it worried me quite a bit. I found that the way it blows the hot air, pretty much at 90º of the bike's left side it didn't bothered me at all. In fact, I couldn't feel the hot air coming out.

Although my LC is brand new and it has so far only 850 Km on it, in this short experience I confirms that I can not feel the hot air coming out of the radiator blower, However, personnaly, the heat from the engine on GSs neer bother me at allAlso, I find that the clothing ( no shorts anymore ) isolates any heat that may come out from the engine and, in this regard I find it as much heat producing as the previous models; as I mentioned before, in my case, no heat at all.

Its a shame you don't have the Premium versions in Thailand, but, nevertheless you got a FANTASTIC byke ! Since my first GS I found them to be great bikes and each a small improovement over the previous one ( 2005/2006/2011). The 2013 LC, however, is really something else and, doubtless, the very best bike I have ever riden !

Congratulations on your new bike and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #8937
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
Still waiting for my BMW crash bars to arrive at my Escondido (SoCal) dealership.

Norway here. Ordered the bike in January, piked it up at the beginning of April, and as for today no crashbars or vario cases. There are none to be delivered and BMW doesn't have a clue when there will be any. I'm slowly starting to get impatient. If they don't deliver by the beginning of June I'll just cancel the order, get my money back and buy from some other company.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #8938
Kaj
Gessu

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Norway here. Ordered the bike in January, piked it up at the beginning of April, and as for today no crashbars or vario cases. There are none to be delivered and BMW doesn't have a clue when there will be any. I'm slowly starting to get impatient. If they don't deliver by the beginning of June I'll just cancel the order, get my money back and buy from some other company.
Sounds weird, situation different at your neighbours, Finland.
Ordered mine in February, delivered mid April with crash bars and full set of Varios.
Kaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #8939
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
From BMW: still waiting for my tankbag. Paniers arrived mid april. Crashbars (from TT arived last week). LED fog lights from TT aren't in yet (looking outside and seeing the grey surrounding caused by the light drizzle that has falling out of the skies all day )
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #8940
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
bmw bars and accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post

To date I've gotten the rally seat, led aux lights, larger footpegs, and crash bars... all bmw. Still waiting for the solo seat conversion, and oddly, the enduro pro plug.

Panniers made it to the front door as well but these are TT not bmw.