Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #17026
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
I'm looking to get more power out of the bike(I ride from 5000' - 10000'). The elevation takes a toll on power output. I would like to turn the bike into a lightweight adv/dual sport bike. I'd like to run 15/45 gears. Maybe a rekluse to help the tall first gear. I don't plan to be riding too much single track with it, but might be nice to if I fun across a great trail somewhere.

If you want to ride lots of street miles for DS'n I would run 16/45. As for power mods the only thing I have done is uncorking the exhaust and installing a TM40(pumper carb.) Plenty of power for me but I'm getting old and have always been slow.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #17027
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Already have a TM40. I am not necessarily looking to ride a lot of pavement miles, More connect the many dirt roads, passes, forest service roads, county roads, etc. that criss cross Colorado.

Definitely need more power for the highway work.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #17028
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
I'm running a Hot Cams stage 1, Leo Vince header with stock uncorked muffler, and the vented side plate with a Rekluse and 15/45 and it will pull easy 3rd gear roll on wheelies. Put down over 51HP on the dyno, and still a touch lean on top. The high comp piston should help your altitude and give a little more grunt.

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #17029
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Ross piston fail

About 18 months ago I reported on the on the instillation of a Ross piston

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=11442

Well on mothers day near the top of Ebbetts pass, one of the best motorcycle roads I have ever been on. I Highly recommend this road if your in the area.

http://scenic4.org/

The XR started bogging our of the corners, I kept on riding thinking of the high density altitude was the cause , I reached the peak of the pass 8,700 ft and warm out, I started down hill and all was good on the way once I reached 3000 ft and still had the bogg on acceleration I pulled over to try to adjust the mixture, and it died as soon as I let off the gas
oil was leaking out of the air box profusely
well a long story shortened. the piston cracked

Well the ross piston made it near 14,000 miles and made the XR rev easier than the stock piston but I don't think I will buy another one.
Looks like i am going With JE on the next overhaul
Light weight is good til it is int and this is the case of too light.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #17030
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
FlyGuy,

I think 11:1 is too high to expect infinite reliability, and 14KMi is a lot already.
I got same piston (not installed yet) but a 10.5:1, ceramic coated too, in all better and more reliable I think.
The hotspot sits in-line with the sparkplug it seems - not a too hot grade used? And, what coolant do you use?
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #17031
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Flyguy , that looks like a metal casting fault , its rare but it does happpen sometimes , i have seen this before ( wiseco if i remember correctly ) . Just a bad luck really , i bet if you buy another one it would be fine , but then of course heavyer piston ( with more material /alloy ) should be stronger more reliable . Reliability its good .
But i think the JE and wiseco are way too heavy , more than the stocker ,
i think i will give the Ross piston a try at my next rebuild , i want to know what is the difference when running light high comp piston
Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #17032
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
FlyGuy,

I think 11:1 is too high to expect infinite reliability, and 14KMi is a lot already.
I got same piston (not installed yet) but a 10.5:1, ceramic coated too, in all better and more reliable I think.
The hotspot sits in-line with the sparkplug it seems - not a too hot grade used? And, what coolant do you use?
Using one step cooler spark plug than recomended, I have been using pre mixed honda (automotive blue) coolant. The tempature stayed below 210f But my cooling fan was fairly running constantly (might have been a help)
I will post a different picture showing a crack on the other side of the wrist pin boss to crown area
I believe the design could easly be improved and still be light, but the XR is not popular enough for ross to get involved?
Additional fillet size is in order at the pin boss to crown
I am now going to contact wossner I like there design alot, take a look at the rotatable picture in the link below of there xr 650 piston

http://www.wossnerpistons.com/images...WOS-8575DA.swf

I am not complaining, as for miles I live in a different neighborhood than you. In KMI there was 22,500 kmi of fun filled riding on the ross piston

Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #17033
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
Flyguy , that looks like a metal casting fault , its rare but it does happpen sometimes , i have seen this before ( wiseco if i remember correctly ) . Just a bad luck really , i bet if you buy another one it would be fine , but then of course heavyer piston ( with more material /alloy ) should be stronger more reliable . Reliability its good .
But i think the JE and wiseco are way too heavy , more than the stocker ,
i think i will give the Ross piston a try at my next rebuild , i want to know what is the difference when running light high comp piston
Well Id bet its a cyclical load issue due to flex
I am also familyer of the weisco issues where the metal on the inside looked marbled indicating impurities and what you indicate happens as a cause.
but look at the picture in my post above and it becomes more clear.
And Hell ya go for the light weight and you wont go back.
but check out worrsner pistons too. I am going to try to find out there piston weights
Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #17034
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Based on Flyguy's info, I am going to pass on the Ross piston. I like the lighter weight, but it appears to be just too light for longevity. I agree with the cyclic fatigue from the pics.

I do like the looks of the Wossner piston. I too would be curious about the weight of the piston relative to stock.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #17035
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.wossnerpistons.com/images...WOS-8718DA.swf
This is the Wossner link for their 11:1 piston. Different design than their 10:1.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #17036
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Well Id bet its a cyclical load issue due to flex
I am also familyer of the weisco issues where the metal on the inside looked marbled indicating impurities and what you indicate happens as a cause.
but look at the picture in my post above and it becomes more clear.
And Hell ya go for the light weight and you wont go back.
but check out worrsner pistons too. I am going to try to find out there piston weights
I have looked at the pictures again , and you are right . there is not enough material in the critical areas and the flexing eventualy crack the piston . I like Woesner a lot and they are not overpriced , do you know how much is the weight ? ( i cannot find it nowhere to compare to the others ) .
Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #17037
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
I'm looking to get more power out of the bike(I ride from 5000' - 10000'). The elevation takes a toll on power output. I would like to turn the bike into a lightweight adv/dual sport bike. I'd like to run 15/45 gears. Maybe a rekluse to help the tall first gear. I don't plan to be riding too much single track with it, but might be nice to if I fun across a great trail somewhere.

Currently planning to build up the motor on my BRP. Thinking about doing the following:

-XRsonly 11:1 coated piston
-HRC Cam- found one, hopefully it gets here soon, if not I guess I will go with the first Web cam listed on their site
-Kibblewhite black diamond valves and springs- Going stock size
-New cam chain
-Changing from Big Gun full system to XRsonly LE race system with the reverse megaphone design.

Any advice on the above?

Buy the best connecting rod you can find, that is the weak link in that motor. Falicon are nice.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #17038
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Stock Tank Thickness

Anyone ever cut a stock tank apart and happen to know roughly how thick the plastic is at the tank top? I'm thinking about sinking a couple of capture nuts into the top edge of the tank (right under the sides of the seat) for my Sumo project. It looks plenty thick enough in the center where the seat bolt goes in but I'm not certain about the edges. I don't really want to put daylight into it if I can avoid it
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #17039
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
I just checked and too have Ross 11:1 in my bike, for probably close to +5k miles, but its a 102mm. Hopefully that failure isn't common.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #17040
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
FWIW I don't think 11:1 compression, even on a bore/stroke combo this large, is necessarily problematic so long as there is no detonation problem or engineering weaknesses. As an example, my old porsche 968 has a 3.0L 4cyl motor with 11:1 CR, 104mm bores and 88mm strokes. Mine has 150k miles on it now and runs just dandy. Rev range is also fairly close to that of the XR. (there are of course lots of other examples, street bikes, etc. as well).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote