User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
KZJohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Baja 500, who's in?

Once again it's time for the Baja 500, (June 1st), how many of my fellow Adv'ers are making the trip down for some sun, fun, and fish tacos?
Personaly I will be co-driving the #521 Kellogg Motorsports class 5 U entry for the 1st third of the course. I know, not a bike, but I'm still in the show and get to race. Here's a vid from our fun at last years 1000.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCt8gggEVTg
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
I am in !!
I will be Running a few Pits for 4X
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I am in !!
I will be Running a few Pits for 4X
No wonder your nick is Baja Dad
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
I am in

I snagged a ride with some local Bay Area boys on an XR650R. The bonus is I still have my pit boxes packed from running the NORRA race.

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,743
I'll be there chasing the Team Lucky Sperm class 10 entry driven by Kash Vessels and Andy Grider.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,322
I'll be taking the family down to the meadows after the start.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I will be down there to support my son Colton (1x) and prerun baby boy Ian Young. Look for us in town, around Mikes and on the coast. My 450x sports #511.

Brad
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 968
Nicola Dutto will be there

Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Looks like I may be headed down. A 7sx team from Utah needs another codriver. I have no clue what to do as a codriver but what the hell it has to be easier then racing a dirt bike. :p

Sent from my XT912
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Strong Bad
n00balicious

I don't know about 7sx trucks but I've spent a lot of time in a Class 1 cars. Your job as a Co-dawg is to:

• Keep the driver on course and "Happy-Happy-Happy".
  • Try not to puke while you sit there with absolutely no control of how the truck hits bumps or takes turns while at the same taking care of business in the cab.
  • Watch the gauges and talk to the driver keeping him "Happy-Happy-Happy".
  • Watch the mirrors so you don't get punted for being a traveling road block.
  • You need to call out race miles when you see them so your crews know where you are.
  • Do not shout into the intercom, keep you voice as calm and "professional" as possible, if your driver can't hear can't hear you, turn up the volume on his intercom but don't shout. Keeping your cool keeps the driver cool.
  • I typically say to the driver "gauges are good, no one behind us" letting him know you are still in the game and you haven't turned into "meat in the seat" or you aren't over there blowing bubbles.
  • Did I mention you need to keep the driver "Happy-Happy-Happy"???
  • If at all possible you need to ride in the truck with your driver so you can get a feel as to how he reads the terrain. Do not over react nothing pisses off a driver more than a puzzy co-dawg. Remember he's driving and he's in control, let him do his job.
  • You should call out the dangers marked on the GPS calmly counting down: " danger coming up 500yds, 200yds, coming up.. here it is". Same with turns call out: Hard left 500yds, 200yds, coming up...here it is. Call it even if it is stupid obvious. Call turns as being tight or sweeping and an approximate angle (90, 45, 15 etc.). If you are coming up on a rise, look at the GPS and let him know what to expect after the rise (straight over rise, sweeps right 45 over rise).
  • Keep the driver focused and "Happy-Happy-Happy".
  • Always have a clean rag (preferably a micro fiber) ready to hand to the driver for wiping his face shield. If you find that you just wiped your face shield, offer it to the driver, put it straight out in his line of sight, he will either take it or wave it off. Hold on to that rag, because if you drop it you will NEVER see it again. You are strapped in too tight and your movement is too limited. Stuff a ziploc bag with additional rags next to your right leg or between the seat and the roll cage.
BTW a 7sx truck is a HARSH ride, wear a kidney belt and don't be surprised if you pee blood when you get out.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 859
Matt, stoked for you. I can't wait to hear about it.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
KZJohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I don't know about 7sx trucks but I've spent a lot of time in a Class 1 cars. Your job as a Co-dawg is to:

• Keep the driver on course and "Happy-Happy-Happy".
  • Try not to puke while you sit there with absolutely no control of how the truck hits bumps or takes turns while at the same taking care of business in the cab.
  • Watch the gauges and talk to the driver keeping him "Happy-Happy-Happy".
  • Watch the mirrors so you don't get punted for being a traveling road block.
  • You need to call out race miles when you see them so your crews know where you are.
  • Do not shout into the intercom, keep you voice as calm and "professional" as possible, if your driver can't hear can't hear you, turn up the volume on his intercom but don't shout. Keeping your cool keeps the driver cool.
  • I typically say to the driver "gauges are good, no one behind us" letting him know you are still in the game and you haven't turned into "meat in the seat" or you aren't over there blowing bubbles.
  • Did I mention you need to keep the driver "Happy-Happy-Happy"???
  • If at all possible you need to ride in the truck with your driver so you can get a feel as to how he reads the terrain. Do not over react nothing pisses off a driver more than a puzzy co-dawg. Remember he's driving and he's in control, let him do his job.
  • You should call out the dangers marked on the GPS calmly counting down: " danger coming up 500yds, 200yds, coming up.. here it is". Same with turns call out: Hard left 500yds, 200yds, coming up...here it is. Call it even if it is stupid obvious. Call turns as being tight or sweeping and an approximate angle (90, 45, 15 etc.). If you are coming up on a rise, look at the GPS and let him know what to expect after the rise (straight over rise, sweeps right 45 over rise).
  • Keep the driver focused and "Happy-Happy-Happy".
  • Always have a clean rag (preferably a micro fiber) ready to hand to the driver for wiping his face shield. If you find that you just wiped your face shield, offer it to the driver, put it straight out in his line of sight, he will either take it or wave it off. Hold on to that rag, because if you drop it you will NEVER see it again. You are strapped in too tight and your movement is too limited. Stuff a ziploc bag with additional rags next to your right leg or between the seat and the roll cage.
BTW a 7sx truck is a HARSH ride, wear a kidney belt and don't be surprised if you pee blood when you get out.
That's an awsome description! I would also add; Learn where the tools, jack, and spare are. It will be your job to change flats, get out and push when you get stuck, and find a way back on course when you go off. I try to make my driver's job as easy as possible, he only has to drive, I will do everything else.

BTW, if you think riding in the 4 wheel class's is a smooth ride because of all that suspension, think again. My bike is way smoother than the car I co-drive in. Trophy Trucks will beat you up, you are just going faster while it happens.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
With the amount of suspension the truck has I fully plan on getting the crap kicked out of me. So much for making it till I was Strongbads age to pis blood.

This isn't the best time of year for me as it's our busy season at work. I turned down a chance to race with another adver on a bike but I couldnt pass up the chance to ride in a truck and only have to pay for my food. It's not a done deal as they are still prepping the truck but if they get it done I'm in.
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
With the amount of suspension the truck has I fully plan on getting the crap kicked out of me. So much for making it till I was Strongbads age to pis blood.

This isn't the best time of year for me as it's our busy season at work. I turned down a chance to race with another adver on a bike but I couldnt pass up the chance to ride in a truck and only have to pay for my food. It's not a done deal as they are still prepping the truck but if they get it done I'm in.
Hell, I was pissing blood long before I was your age!!! If you can manage, you should help with the prep so you can get to know the truck better. Not much time left.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 283
BAJA PITS AND GEORGE ANTIL are sponsoring bikes updates which you will find in one place only BREAUXMAN LIVE
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote