Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #5911
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
No tag yet - I just needed something to find last night. Didn't want to get out of practice.

whew... I wasn't sure if this was just a drill.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #5912
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
Found the bear. The swamp might take a while.
good one slaw. looks like there could be a purple dragon living in the swamp already.

How da heck do you google a blue eyed Polar bear with a purple dragon in it's mouth and come up with a street view pic?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #5913
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
good one slaw. looks like there could be a purple dragon living in the swamp already.

How da heck do you google a blue eyed Polar bear with a purple dragon in it's mouth and come up with a street view pic?

RD mentioned the towns he rode through going home from Praire in the "where did you ride" thread. The only one that had any life left in it that might have new construction going on was Grenada: googled kid friendly diners near Grenada - didn't see it. Googled ice cream near Grenada - boom (of course I failed to find it in Indianola first). May not be it but bet the old building in the Street View photo is the bare lot in RD's photo. How many polar bears can there be in MS?

Hope RD's tire comes in soon for the KLR or he gets the VStrom replacement - we could have trouble if he places the tag on one of his dirt bikes.
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #5914
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Quote:
RD mentioned the towns he rode through going home from Praire in the "where did you ride" thread. The only one that had any life left in it that might have new construction going on was Grenada: googled kid friendly diners near Grenada - didn't see it. Googled ice cream near Grenada - boom (of course I failed to find it in Indianola first). May not be it but bet the old building in the Street View photo is the bare lot in RD's photo. How many polar bears can there be in MS?

Hope RD's tire comes in soon for the KLR or he gets the VStrom replacement - we could have trouble if he places the tag on one of his dirt bikes.
I see what you did there.

Wonder how the FJR search is going for him?
I may have to roll a couple of these into one soon. There's been a good few riders raving about this new 800cc bike lately. wonder if there is anything to that?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #5915
rdkisner
gearhead issues

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Found the bear. The swamp might take a while.
That is pretty good.
http://www.bluffsriders.com/
rdkisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5916
rdkisner
gearhead issues

Quote:
I see what you did there.

Wonder how the FJR search is going for him?
I may have to roll a couple of these into one soon. There's been a good few riders raving about this new 800cc bike lately. wonder if there is anything to that?

It has been a busy week. I am not sure when I will get swoosh back out in the wild but soon. I have a spot I want to place him, If I can't get there
I'll just find the nearest swamp and take a few photos.
I found an FJR 1300 should get it next week.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #5917
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkisner View Post
That is pretty good.
I say that's the understatement of the week there. slaw is connected to google in a serious way I tell you
Quote:
It has been a busy week. I am not sure when I will get swoosh back out in the wild but soon. I have a spot I want to place him, If I can't get there
I'll just find the nearest swamp and take a few photos.
I found an FJR 1300 should get it next week.
Fine ride. Thought serious about one last year. Might end up with one later this year.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #5918
tslaw
aged n00b

[QUOTE=MSrider;21426118]I say that's the understatement of the week there. slaw is connected to google in a serious way I tell you

QUOTE]

No biggie. Our topographic center has super computers and high rez imagery in various spectra. (Plus I planted a Spot in Swoosh II)

tslaw screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 07:28 PM
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #5919
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Laugh that splains it

Quote:
Quote:
I say that's the understatement of the Century there. slaw is connected to google in a serious way I tell you
No biggie. Our topographic center has super computers and high rez imagery in various spectra. (Plus I planted a Spot in Swoosh II)
Old 05-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #5920
rdkisner
gearhead issues

Got rained out this morning. It rained all night. Thunder boomers.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #5921
rdkisner
gearhead issues

New Tag:
This location was an important place for the Confederate Navy.

Reminiscences Of The Confederate States Navy
By
Captain C. W. READ,

http://www.civilwarhome.com/reminiscencescsn.htm

I had been in command of the battery below Randolph but a few days, when I received orders to dismount my guns and ship them up White river to Lieutenant Fry. I was then sent to Vicksburg to recruit men for Pinkney's boats.
Just before the evacuation of Fort Pillow the Confederates had launched at Memphis a very pretty little gunboat called Arkansas. She was about four hundred tons, double propeller, was to be ironclad, and to mount ten guns. When the news reached Memphis that our people were evacuating Fort Pillow, the Arkansas and all of the river transports were run up the Yazoo river, where they were protected by batteries on shore and a raft across the stream. Pinkney's boats and the Van Dorn arrived at Liverpool landing too late to get above the raft. The two guns saved by Lieutenant Stone were placed on shore, and several smaller guns were also mounted. The sailors and Mississippi troops manned the batteries. The crews of the gunboats lived on board.
The unfinished Arkansas was towed up to Yazoo City. The officer in charge of her seemed indifferent as to the time of her completion. The leading citizens of the town telegraphed to Richmond and asked that an energetic officer be placed in command and the steamer be got ready without delay. Accordingly the Department detailed Lieutenant I. N. Brown, of the navy, to superintend the work and to assume command. When Lieutenant Brown arrived in Yazoo City he found the Arkansas without any iron on her, her ports not cut, and in fact quite a lot of work to be done by carpenters and machinists. The barge which had brought down the iron for the shield or covering for the casemate had been carelessly sunken in the Yazoo river. Lieutenant Brown was untiring in his efforts to complete his vessel. He took some stringent measures; imprisoned several people who were disposed to trifle with him; he allowed no one under his command to be idle; he issued orders to press all the blacksmiths and mechanics in the country for a hundred miles around; the barge of iron was raised; officers were dispatched with all haste to hurry forward guns, carriages, ammunition, etc., and all workmen were obliged to live on board a transport steamer alongside the Arkansas, work was continued day and night; the sound of the artisan's hammer did not cease until the ship was ready for battle.
A few days after Lieutenant Brown took charge of the Arkansas I arrived in Yazoo City and reported to him for duty. He directed me to load a steamer with cotton and go down to Liverpool landing and protect the gunboats Polk and Livingston with cotton bales, to moor their head down stream, to keep steam up, and be prepared to ram any boats of the enemy that might venture in. Lieutenant Brown went down with me, but when we got there Commander Pinkney informed us that he had changed his mind, and would not leave until the arrival of Commodore Lynch, who was on his way to the command of all the naval forces of the West. Having placed the cotton as directed, I returned with Captain Brown to Yazoo City. A day or two afterwards Commodore Lynch arrived. Captain Brown had orders to obey all orders from General Van Dorn, and to make no move without the sanction of that officer. Commodore Lynch, having inspected the Arkansas, ordered me to Jackson, Mississippi, to telegraph the Secretary of War as follows: "The Arkansas is very inferior to the Merrimac in every particular; the iron with which she is covered is worn and indifferent, taken from a railroad track, and is poorly secured to the vessel; boiler iron on stern and counter; her smokestack is sheet iron." When I returned to Yazoo City the Arkansas was ready for service. Her battery consisted of ten guns -- viz: two 8 inch columbiads in the two forward or bow ports, two 9 inch Dalhgren shell guns, two 6 inch rifles, and two 32 pounders smooth bores in broadside, and two 6 inch rifles astern. Her engines were new, having been built at Memphis, and on the trial trip worked well. As the ship had two propellers and separate engines, she could be worked or handled conveniently. The boilers were in the hold and below the water line. The speed was fair -- say nine knots. We had a full complement of officers and about two hundred men. All were anxious for the time to come when we could show the enemy that he could not lay idly in our waters. We started down the river the day the work was finished. On our way down we received intelligence that a small steamer of the enemy was some miles below the rafts and batteries. So we hurried on down, firing a gun now and then to let Pinkney and the batteries know we were coming. On rounding the point above the obstructions or rafts, we could see the men at the guns on the bluffs, but as they had not fired we were satisfied that the enemy was not yet in range. Our attention was soon attracted to the gunboats "Polk" and "Livingston," moored just below the obstructions. Smoke was seen issuing from their cabins and hatches. Captain Brown promptly ordered all our small boats manned, and sent them to extinguish the fire; but they got alongside the boats too late, as Pinkney had done his cowardly work too well. We soon ascertained that a small sternwheel, high pressure, river steamboat, protected with hay, had approached nearly as far as Sartarsia, or about five miles off the batteries, when, perceiving our fortifications, had quickly retreated. The two gunboats fired and abandoned by Pinkney, being full of cotton, burned rapidly; and the lines by which they had been fastened to the banks being consumed, the boats drifted down the river. One of them getting foul of the ironclad ram Van Dorn set her on fire, and she too was added to the loss of the Polk and Livingston.

rdkisner screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 06:57 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #5922
tslaw
aged n00b

I quit.

You ride in Satartia today?
Old 05-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #5923
rdkisner
gearhead issues

This tag is going to fall fast. (this is a prediction not a clue).
Old 05-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #5924
tslaw
aged n00b

Not from me - just finished yard work, got cleaned up, and cracked open a cold beer - I'm done for the day.

I have looked at putting the tag near the historical marker at the marine yard, but I don't know exactly where your tag spot is.

I do know where the abandoned section of road is (it's a good dewatering spot), but I'm not sure how to get to the landing or if a street bike with an unskilled off-road rider can get there.

tslaw screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 10:35 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #5925
stewarrd
JHF

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
this tag is going to fall fast. (this is a prediction not a clue).
not me to much ivy !!!
1975 Honda CB 750
2005 Kawasaki KDX220R and 1990 Honda CT 70
stewarrd is offline   Reply With Quote