Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #226
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
No idea about its location...
Referencing a response in the SAS thread.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #227
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
I really hope ebrabaek connects the LED and lets us know when this valve opens. ;) ;)
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #228
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
I really hope ebrabaek connects the LED and lets us know when this valve opens. ;) ;)
Yep!

I'm also curious how the BMS-K responds when no signal is received from this valve.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #229
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
No idea about its location. An LED would be good. I'll get back to you with the wire colors.

Follow the tube from the intake air box toward one of the cylinder heads. When you ind the solenoid and if the wire colors match that should confirm.

Pin 1 of the Solenoid has a Blue wire with a Brown trace.
Pin 2 of the Solenoid has a Yellow wire with a Grey trace.

I was wondering that too.
I was hoping to get it done today, but started up the recording studio, so I wont be getting to it until tomorrow. I will report back.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #230
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fellow advrider already sold his GS-911..... mighty tempting......

Erling
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #231
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I might jump in on this action. A friend of mine owns a turbo shop with a dyno. He said he's willing to help me tune it if I wanted to.

Can't beat that offer.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #232
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
I might jump in on this action. A friend of mine owns a turbo shop with a dyno. He said he's willing to help me tune it if I wanted to.

Can't beat that offer.
Without again pitching different fuel controllers at each other, all I can say, is that I have gained 3-5 mpg, increased TQ/HP....No more idle hopping, and bike behaves very well, under all riding conditions. I good source with a dyno is a great thing to have. Hop on it amigo....

Erling
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #233
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Just out of curiosity, how do you calculate mileage? Do you use the bikes computer or so the old fashioned miles and gallons?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #234
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you calculate mileage? Do you use the bikes computer or so the old fashioned miles and gallons?
I do both, for good measure. It happens that my computer ( '09 with original software load) is deadly accurate, along with miles to empty.

Erling
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #235
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I do both, for good measure. It happens that my computer ( '09 with original software load) is deadly accurate, along with miles to empty.
So here's the thing I don't understand: how does the BMSK know that the PCV has added fuel? Without know that, how does it calculate mileage?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #236
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So here's the thing I don't understand: how does the BMSK know that the PCV has added fuel? Without know that, how does it calculate mileage?
Dont know..... But after calculating this over about 2000 miles I am 100% certain it ( Fuel mileage indicator) is spot on. Is there feed back from the injectors to the BMS-K...???? Does the PC-5 Feed back a signal to the BMS-K....???? Flow rate from the F/I pump....nahhhh... not accurate enough.....Be interesting to ask that question to Dynojet. Mann.... I'm gonna be awake all night.

Erling
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #237
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
PCV is between the ECU and injectors. As to MPG? don't know but mine is accurate as well.
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #238
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspare View Post
Hi, friends... here you are the wiring diagram of our parallel:

Then, about the lean condition: I've carried out a mod onto IAT (quite similar to booster plug) able to enrich evenly 7% along the whole of the rpm range.
After this, the ECU leaned down again to AFR target thru λ sensor... So, don't think the bike (with OEM muffler & QD headers) is actually crazy lean.
It's simply on the BMW targeted AFR, that's - you're right - anyway clearly below the optimum.
The way is to change this target and design a new baseline, remapping.
Work in progress...
Can anyone confirm if this diagram remains the same for the 2013?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #239
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
50 mph.... 75-80 mpg.
60 mph.... 65-67 mpg.
70 mph.... 55-57 mpg.
By the computer over distance.... no wind...... I will say that I gained a few miles per gallon..... Time will tell.
Quote:
Dont know..... But after calculating this over about 2000 miles I am 100% certain it ( Fuel mileage indicator) is spot on. Is there feed back from the injectors to the BMS-K...???? Does the PC-5 Feed back a signal to the BMS-K....???? Flow rate from the F/I pump....nahhhh... not accurate enough.....Be interesting to ask that question to Dynojet. Mann.... I'm gonna be awake all night.
While you're getting a test LED for the Secondary Air Sensor (unless, in the unlikely event, it turns out to be some twisted implementation of a crankcase ventilator), here's why you report better gas mileage even though you have more fuel dialed-in to the PC V.

What I say is that you're getting about the same MPG (which is pretty good since your engine is running much better), and your computer is erroneously reporting better gas mileage.

The Short Story
Assuming a 10% richer mixture: 1) mileage is the same because the extra fuel injected is converted to power at 50% efficiency--meaning 10% more fuel equals 5% worse gas mileage. However, you will naturally run in a higher gear some of the time offsetting the 5% loss. 2) The fuel computer calculates that it is using 10% less fuel than than it is so it reports 10% better gas mileage.

The Detail

Spec: F800GS at 56 MPH, 62 MPG (your mileage may vary )

For the sake of example let's say that a mileage test-run is made at a steady 56 miles per hour. Whether or not you have a PC V installed it takes about 9.3 horsepower to go 56 MPH on bikes like these. Based on the F800GS spec at 56 MPH, it will use 0.9 gallons per hour. You can then calculate the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption--lbs. per hp per hour) as 0.9 gallons which is 5.4 lbs. divided by 9.3 HP, for a very respectable 0.58 lbs./hp/hour. This is consistent with many gasoline engines.

Now add 10% to the fueling and you will find that the BSFC increases about 5%. The reason is about half the added fuel finds unburned oxygen to mate with and engine produces 5% more power. So BFSC is now worse at 0.61. That's the first half of the story.

Next, an 85 HP engine that's cruising at 9 HP, has a throttle opening of 15-20 degrees (est.) so it wastes a lot of energy creating manifold vacuum (aka pumping losses). When you ride in a higher gear, the engine turns more slowly so it has to make more torque to produce the same horsepower (fifth gear requires 13% more engine torque than 4th on an F800GS). To make more torque you have to open the throttle more, as a result, the pumping losses go down (slightly lower manifold vacuum) and so does the BSFC--meaning better miles per gallon.

So the added fuel increases BFSC but the higher gears sometimes reduces BFSC for a net result of no real change to mileage.

As far as why the fuel computer is reporting better gas mileage, here's my explanation. The fueling computer calculates gas mileage by: 1) knowing the injector flow rate (the tolerance is pretty tight), 2) counting the miles driven since the fuel computer was reset, 3) adding up how long the injectors have been turned on since reset, and 4) dividing that (3) into the miles driven.

When the PC V adds (for example) 10% to the injector pulse the fuel computer doesn't know it, and underestimates the total fuel used by that same 10%. If your mileage was 60 MPG it will now be displayed at 66 MPG. (If you use an LC-1 to shift lambda and richen the fueling, the fuel computer displays correctly since the BMSK is still in control of the pulse length. )

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 08:42 AM
Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #240
JRose
Studly Adventurer

How are you guys getting such good gas mileage to begin with!?!?

I'm at a steady 44mpg, and I'm still following break in!