Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,950
Moab 2013: Chicks and Beer

Okay there are a thousand Moab ride reports on here, but I just went there riding for the first time, so I'm doing one too. A couple years back I was doing Chicks and Beer reports at my wife's softball tournament weekends where I'd ride and explore in Montana, and was chastised for not having enough pictures of actual Chicks and Beer.

I shall now remedy that.

Anyway, after some planning and guessing, we all get loaded up at the Lazy R Ranch Montana branch for the trip. We means Mrs Shady (Val) and I, and friends Adam (ADV RezRoamer) and Clarissa. Adam just built a 6x12 enclosed to make a handy-dandy camp trailer with hot water, sink and shower, and fold down bed etc. Val and I would tent it with my new cool little camp cots by Alps Mountaineering.

We head down the road and get past Salt Lake City for the first evening's camp. We managed to keep ourselves entertained through the long journey.

Mah Bitches

Next day we are in Moab by noon, and checked into Ron's Pack Creek Campground. We got set up and immediately hit the first trail we could, something called Steelbender/Flat Pass. The scenery is just jaw-dropping everywhere you go, and this was no exception. We made it as far as we could until we hit the part that gave the trail it's name, and we weren't doing extreme rock crawling so we explored around and made it back to camp.

Okay, back to camp for refreshments!

It had been a long couple of days driving down and doing some riding so the liquid pain killers and camp chairs were a welcome break.

Next morning we get up and prepare for some real riding. This will take some body fuel, so I start up the Coleman.

BACON!

Eggs, taters we foiled and put on the campfire coals night before, some peppers and other odds and ends.

Now our ride would be the Sand Flats area, where the rock buggies crawl up the slickrock. We didn't go clear into those areas, which you have to do some trials riding into. But the road through the area was very cool.

That road winds around and you come out up on top of the Castle Valley.

We took the road that winds around to the bottom, through the valley, and along the Colorado back to Moab. What a great ride that was.

Okay that was a pretty good morning ride, 3 1/2 hours or so. Time for a cool-down.

After lunch, Adam and I were ready to go tackle some country, and the girls decided to just relax out at Ken's Lake.

Montana chicks dig trucks.

We rode out Kane Creek road towards Chicken Corner cutoff, the took the Kane Creek trail towards Hurrah Pass. It was fantastic, and at times difficult and tiring with the big 650's. Lots of sand to ride, and 61 water crossings.

Just WOW

Got pretty knarly back towards the back.

Climbing out this thing was a challenge! Up ledges and over boulders on steep stuff, on a big bike with highway gearing. But we did it. The guys you see standing there had big rock buggy Jeeps down in the bottom. They had just filmed Adam clawing his way up and out of there on his KLR and were watching the replay. I bet we're on some 4x4 forum now, titled "Look at these Montana rednecks on big giant thumpers trying to be rock crawlers."

Finally got up to the top, back to the highway, and to camp for a well-earned cold one!

More to come...

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.

ShadyRascal screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 06:13 PM
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote