Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
Machog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Saw you in Jerome by the side of the road with your shiny new Ducati, far cry from those early KLR days!

And again at the Mile High, was in the cage so decided not to say hi!

Always enjoy your adventures-how's the new ride treating you, can you do much off road with it?

Machog
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #32
DustyS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Wow -- first off it's great to see the return of another Dr Greg story!

Hemet --- Sage -- double wow!

My mother grew in in Sage proper, and as you may know Sage proper consisted of my Grandparents house, their store and the Fire Station.

I live in Virginia now but my Mom still lives in Hemet, so occasionally get out there to visit.

Great to have a kind of personal connection to one of your stories.

Now for more than many may wish to know: Way back when Sage was a stop on the Butterfield stage route, not exactly sure when my Grandparents actually moved there. My Grandfather was injured in WW I and was the storekeeper/postmaster in Sage for decades.

My Grandmother lived alone there for a long time after he passed away, including after she had one leg amputated! They built them tough back then. Plus, Sage was really an extended community, and everyone for miles around knew my Grandmother.

Mom grew up in Sage, went off and graduated from UCLA after WW II -- at a time when that was a pretty impressive achievement for a young woman from the countryside.

Even though the Sage property left our hands probably 25 years ago, it has served as something of the "family homestead" for us.

After my Grandmother passed away my parents moved back to Sage, I spent the summer of 1973 there, then went off to UCLA in fall 1973.

My Mom worked for years on as a volunteer on the rescue Squad, and I was a volunteer fireman that summer.

I'll bet Dr Greg you will appreciate this -- sometimes folks would get turned around heading for Palm Springs or Idyllwild and wind up in Sage -- the fireman would solemnly point towards Hemet, and say go that way, turn right at the first light and you'll get there --- failing to point out that it was 13 miles to that light in Hemet and another far piece from there to Palm Springs!

Thanks again for sharing your stories.
DustyS is offline   Reply With Quote