ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Do you want to be the guy that burns a forest down that you love?
That's never been proven to happen.

Out of control camp fires, it has happened.

And out of control government employees.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632

Don't forget the Boy Scouts and Buffalo Creek here in Co - that fire closed the "Top of the World Trail", was a great trail

If you Google them there will be hits all around the country
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,052
Wow old thread from the dead.

Since my posting I stopped one day on the new 2012 Gas Gas to show my Ranger friend. We were talking, and I brought up Exhaust. I think this was in March 2013 (wow winter has been light this year).

So he took me through what they do and what they are suppose to do but DON'T. He says they look for the USFS stamp, newer bike should have no issue and they let you go.

Older bike they do the rod test, he showed me his rod and even probed my exhaust hole He said what they are looking for is a baffle or a screen. If there is a doubt like it being an old bike then they use a flashlight to look down the hole like you might use with a cheap whore to check for any signs of wear or extra holes or that their is a man made mesh in there like a metal kitchen pad which will still stop the rod.

He then showed me his book, in practice they are to match the exhaust up to a diagram in a book the size of a phone book. He said no ranger he knew actually uses it, as it would take all day. All USFS approved designs are in that book, this stops someone stamping USFS Approved on an exhaust, put in a screen or baffles and try and pass it off.

Now for me to respond to the poster that wanted to argue. On my XR650R the LEO Vince Exhaust with baffles is USFS Approved. I just have an option to run it with a straight through insert and screen, but with baffles I don't need the screen. The baffles do like an automobile, do you see sparks coming from an auto? I never have. The setup is USFS approved in either configuration.

Also one last tip, he said if your plated your good to go. Just a rule of thumb because they are looking at it that the DMV is not plating MX bikes but actual street machines. We as enthusiast know plating of other bikes is pretty easy.

This is just what one ranger told me, a ranger I have spend hours talking to. Then again he said it best, he is not a hard ass but there are ranger out there looking to ticket OHV's for anything.

modette screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 03:20 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I've seen many rangers and not once been stopped for a sparkie check. You'd think they'd be out checking all vehicles since 99% are running combustion engines and if anyone modifies their standard (modern) exhaust or has something old school they could be just as likely as a un-arrested OHV exhaust or anything else to spark a fire. I've seen some loud redneck inventions of all sizes in our forests that look like they might spew flames at any moment.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,523
A piece of grass lighting off a hot thumper header is a more likely scenario.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
A piece of grass lighting off a hot thumper header is a more likely scenario.

Exactly. Having a SA is important, but you will generally forget about your SA once you know it's installed. OTOH, users need to be actively careful when it comes to flammable materials coming in contact with hot bike parts.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Any exhaust of any combustion engine is likely to get hot enough to spark dry grass. Any motorized user, moto or not, can pose that risk.

My last post was pointing out the seemingly exclusive enforcement of the sparkie requirement on dirt bikers and ATVers. Joe Jeeper could have just lost all his exhaust back on some rocks and if a ranger didn't see it and it isn't actively throwing sparks and he isn't otherwise being a total jackass, he's not likely to get stopped in my experience. Utility ATVers also seem to be exempt from inspection at least in practice...never see them getting checked. They tend to stop and inspect ricky racers, the average joe dirt biker and sport quadder who might looks like he might try to cut up his exhaust for the "false perception of improved engine performance". This does make some sense in that these groups are more likely to modify their exhaust for performance reason but my point is that anyone can modify any vehicle's exhaust and make it physically possible to throw sparks.

That sentiment doesn't take into regard the effectiveness of the sparkie requirement, it's more of an observation of discriminant enforcement. But as modette pointed out, they are probably using the plated rule of thumb that the DMV is keeping full-size, plated vehicles in order whereas the rangers might be the only people checking on the exhaust of offroad only vehicles. I could understand this rationale if the DMV and/or law enforcement was actually checking for spark arrestor type equipment on full-size vehicles (presumably just a regular exhaust, unmodified). Presumably the DMV will be picky but I've never seen a LEO crawl under a car to look at an exhaust, they only write tickets for one being too loud. Either way, if one thinks rangers should be checking any vehicles for spark arrestors, they really then should be checking all vehicles for spark arresting equipment.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,946
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this thread:

Is my muffler legal for National Forest?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879114

We covered a lot more ground in it than was done here...

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this thread:

Is my muffler legal for National Forest?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879114

We covered a lot more ground in it than was done here...

You beat me to it......

As a follow up, I pulled the spark arrestor from the pipe I modified after several hours of use to make sure it held up, and found a significant amount of small particles around the sealing edge. Particles that would have been red hot and sailed right out the tailpipe in the previous configuration.

Whatever anyone's opinion may be, having a proper spark arrestor in place gives me peace of mind when traveling in heavily wooded areas, National Forest land or not.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,872
So they would be baffled by your typical Kirzman spark arrestor?!