User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #31
oldtrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Laverda Jota.......

The earlier models had a 180' crank if memory serves. Much nicer growl than the 120' that came out later. Or was it the other way around ??

The original Kawi 500 Mach III had a spooky wild wail from the airbox when one rode the throttle. In combo with the two stroke triple it was distinctive fer sure.

Norton Commando "rapp offs" as we called them were cool as well. Used to be able to tell what a guy was riding before you saw him.

Shit I'm old.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #32
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
Laverda Jota.......

The earlier models had a 180' crank if memory serves. Much nicer growl than the 120' that came out later. Or was it the other way around ??

The original Kawi 500 Mach III had a spooky wild wail from the airbox when one rode the throttle. In combo with the two stroke triple it was distinctive fer sure.

Norton Commando "rapp offs" as we called them were cool as well. Used to be able to tell what a guy was riding before you saw him.

Shit I'm old.

A nod of approval with your above comments. My Laverda's original exhaust are totally hollow. Actually, the stock exhaust on both my Nortons are baffle free tubes as well.

Stock exhaust sound?? Gosh, I remember my early '78 CBX 6 banger sounded glorious rolling through the gears.

And lately, I just love the sound of that cross-plank Yamaha R1 engine, like a little pissed off V8.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #33
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
Laverda Jota.......

Shit I'm old.

sorry ex friend has a 3c

sounds like a chaff cutter

cheers

see if he will bite now

liked the bike but exhaust

na
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #34
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
What makes my hair,or whats left of it stand on end,goose pimples also appear,is the glorious sound of the high pitched whistle that constantly emanates from the fuel pump inside all K series and later versions of BMW's.Its a close section to the high pitched whining that emanates from there owners.Then followed a close third by fingernails on a blackboard.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #35
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 415
Ducati (pick one, it doesn't matter) with the factory optional termignoni carbon fiber cans, full race exhaust system. Even just the termignoni slip-ons are awesome. You should hear my wife's 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO with the twin termignoni carbon fiber cans, no baffles. Pure sex on wheels...
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #36
davidbeinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
Ducati (pick one, it doesn't matter) with the factory optional termignoni carbon fiber cans, full race exhaust system. Even just the termignoni slip-ons are awesome. You should hear my wife's 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO with the twin termignoni carbon fiber cans, no baffles. Pure sex on wheels...
When you say full race I think you're pushing the definition of stock exhaust, even if it is a factory option. I agree Ducs sound great, used to have a Monster. I truly do think my Goose sounds better stock than my Monster did stock though. I replaced the Monster's stock exhaust with SuperTrapps available through Ducati Performance. I have felt no need to replace the Breva's stockers.

David B.
davidbeinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #37
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
any conti equipped beveldrive ducati

nothing sounds or feels better for a stock exhaust

cheers
thats it...i couldnt remember what they were called.I had an S2 which came from the factory with contis and 40 mm carbs...
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #38
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
What makes my hair,or whats left of it stand on end,goose pimples also appear,is the glorious sound of the high pitched whistle that constantly emanates from the fuel pump inside all K series and later versions of BMW's.Its a close section to the high pitched whining that emanates from there owners.Then followed a close third by fingernails on a blackboard.
poor carcass

I knew you would bite

oh most bikes in this day and age are fi/fuel pumps

therefore you should grow up and get with the program
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #39
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Cross-plane Yamaha R1? Or one of the spicier Triumph triples ( I had a Sprint RS that sounded pretty good) with optional Triumph can, which must count as stock 'cos it's a manufacturer's fitment
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #40
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Best stock sound came out of those 'baloney' mufflers on mid-to-late 60's triumphs. Had a girlfriend back then who once said that the loneliest sound she ever heard was my triumph (after date nite) leaving without her.

That is not to say that other bikes did not have their charms. I really do like the quiet of stock Wings and Beemers. Being able to sneak up on pedestrians and bicyclists can be a lot of fun. Getting into and out of my neighborhood without waking anyone up in the quiet of a summers nite when everyone has there screens open has a lot of charm too.

BITD, I had a triumph with TT pipes on it. After 3 days of that, they came off. My cross-corner neighbor currently has straight pipes on his sportster. I can hear that thing fire up while watching TV in my basement with the house shut up and the AC running. I am amazed that the guy right next door to him and the guy right across the street from his garage haven't got together and burned his garage down.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #41
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Ducati does sound good, so do few others that come to mind, Norton, Laverda, the new three cylinder Triumphs, Guzzi's, my 990 adv with a single can wings exhaust without the db killer, not too loud either!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Oh right, stock exhaust, Duc take 's it.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Stock Exhaust?
Eazy answer --- any sohc Honda 750 with factory 4 into 4 pipes.

Game, Set, Match.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #44
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Regular Tuesday nite bike night.

How's about grabbing me one of those pizza's from across the street?

I'd have never in a million years imagined it, but I'm in love with the R1 Crossplane sound too.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #45
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Honda CBX
Ducati Hypermotard

Now I really want to hear that Ariel in person.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote