ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,888
Jemez and Single Track are no longer synonymous or belong in the same thread title.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
NMZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
What did you take up Bland? Dirt bike or ATV? I've seen pics and it looks completely destroyed.

I used to spend a lot of time in Bland Canyon and at the ghost town of Bland. Huge loss of historic buildings and artifacts there. Very sad.
Feets. There's a cement baricade and a fence back at the pavment/dirt juncture that only the landowners have a access to.

Both could probably make it up there but not without some serious work to get pass the deep washouts. One cement bridge has washed out on both sides and it had a 20' drop off of the downhill side. That whole canyon acts as a funnel for all the moisture.

I agree, I first learned to ride in the mountains in the canyon behind Dixon's, and spent many memorable trips up in that area 4-wheeling, camping, Mt. biking, and hiking. It was one of my favorite places, and no better place to escape the heat of summer splashing through the streams on singletrack.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMZens View Post
Feets. There's a cement baricade and a fence back at the pavment/dirt juncture that only the landowners have a access to.

Both could probably make it up there but not without some serious work to get pass the deep washouts. One cement bridge has washed out on both sides and it had a 20' drop off of the downhill side. That whole canyon acts as a funnel for all the moisture.

I agree, I first learned to ride in the mountains in the canyon behind Dixon's, and spent many memorable trips up in that area 4-wheeling, camping, Mt. biking, and hiking. It was one of my favorite places, and no better place to escape the heat of summer splashing through the streams on singletrack.
Gotcha. I've been thinking about hiking up past the barricade to see what the canyon looks like these days. I've hiked the canyon length many times following the "old' wagon route through Bland Canyon (which was mostly on the opposite side of the creek from the modern road) and exploring mines and old ruins along the way. I've spent many days exploring Cochiti Canyon beyond Dixon's as well. The old sawmill for Bland used to be at the top of Cochiti Canyon above the Alamos Trail (Carl Shipman). Part of me is curious of what it looks like today and on the other hand just want to remember it for the good times.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
Jemez and Single Track are no longer synonymous or belong in the same thread title.
Sad, but true.

Anyone donate to or join NMOHVA lately?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Huge loss of historic buildings and artifacts there. Very sad.
Some of my coolest finds have been after fires, not everything burns. Sounds like it would be worth a hike.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,836
just noticed your sig line, Grub----you sold the XR400 & picked up a KTM300?? sweet!

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
Some of my coolest finds have been after fires, not everything burns. Sounds like it would be worth a hike.
Oh, I intend to hike it sometime soon. I've got too much history in that area to not check it out now. I may try to poach it from the top of the canyon. Easier (and shorter) hike that gets you to the historic stuff sooner. Just don't know how bad that area is f'd up right now either.

For history's sake, Bland in it's prime:

Porch of the Exchange Hotel on the far right that burned in the Los Conchas fire.

One of the earliest photos of Bland in 1894...still mostly a tent city but the beginnings of the Exchange Hotel (still single story at this point) on the right. We found the bird cage that is in this photo under the word "Hotel" in the barn behind the hotel in 1996. Got photos of it, but I'm sure it's lost now.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
grub
Requires Supervision

Very cool, we lost some stuff like that to early 20th century government land trades/grants. Still there, just takes a little more creativity to get to it. Shame to see yours lost to a fire after so many years.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
grub
Requires Supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
just noticed your sig line, Grub----you sold the XR400 & picked up a KTM300?? sweet!
I did sir, it still scares me
Old 05-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,231
For years and years the SFNF miss used any funds sent to them for forest fire abatement. It was hard to visit places like the Black Hills NF in South Dakota and compare what that Forest Service was doing vs the SFNF. Now they are taking every opportunity to close out the public.
I say that it's time to write our congress men ask for a full accounting of the SFNF's spending. And it's time to ask congress to unfund the SFNF on the grounds that if no work is being done and no one is allowed in. Why do we need a huge office like the one in Santa fe that is fully funded and filled to the brim with managers.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #26
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,699
Quote:
Gotcha. I've been thinking about hiking up past the barricade to see what the canyon looks like these days. I've hiked the canyon length many times following the "old' wagon route through Bland Canyon (which was mostly on the opposite side of the creek from the modern road) and exploring mines and old ruins along the way. I've spent many days exploring Cochiti Canyon beyond Dixon's as well. The old sawmill for Bland used to be at the top of Cochiti Canyon above the Alamos Trail (Carl Shipman). Part of me is curious of what it looks like today and on the other hand just want to remember it for the good times.

You are not going without me, dude. Fat, sad, out of shape, I don't care, I'm going!

RIP Helen. You are missed.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #27
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
I noticed a piece of 50" or less trail on the MVUM in the section on SFNF west of Cuba. Anyone know anything about it? May have to make a trip up there soon to check it out.
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #28
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I noticed a piece of 50" or less trail on the MVUM in the section on SFNF west of Cuba. Anyone know anything about it? May have to make a trip up there soon to check it out.
Hmm, sounds interesting. It could be part of the "Oh My God 100"
Desert Race. I have not been in that area for some time. A lot of the local people hang out in that area. Think they call it: Chiwilli road.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #29
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
You are not going without me, dude. Fat, sad, out of shape, I don't care, I'm going!
Maybe take a shot at it sometime this fall. I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
RIP Helen. You are missed.
Definately an interesting and amazing woman. Dearly missed.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #30
grub
Requires Supervision

Quote:
Maybe take a shot at it sometime this fall. I'll let you know.

Definately an interesting and amazing woman. Dearly missed.

Two things: (1) I want to go, (2) Background requirement on Helen