ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #15886
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona, United States
Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
Greg,

I didn't realize the man behind "thisoldtractor" was a member here on ADV. Thanks for your site and hosting the repair manuals. A huge help for me.

Cheers!

Chad
You are most welcome :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #15887
Richklr650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Dudley ma.
Oddometer: 171
shift drum bolt

you guys wont believe this pulled the clutch cover off because its hard to find neutral and was popping out of 3rd gear shift drum bolt is mia found it down in the bottom of the motor how lucky is that woo hoo '
any how my question is is there a washer that goes with it i put it back in but the drum has a little in and out play is this normal thanks Rich
Richklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #15888
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richklr650 View Post
you guys wont believe this pulled the clutch cover off because its hard to find neutral and was popping out of 3rd gear shift drum bolt is mia found it down in the bottom of the motor how lucky is that woo hoo '
any how my question is is there a washer that goes with it i put it back in but the drum has a little in and out play is this normal thanks Rich
No washer on parts diagram http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID.../GEAR_SHIFTING
Don't remember one when I did mine.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #15889
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
Greg,

I didn't realize the man behind "thisoldtractor" was a member here on ADV. Thanks for your site and hosting the repair manuals. A huge help for me.

Cheers!

Chad
Thanks from me as well Greg - you are a great source of information both web based and in answering questions!
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #15890
daverbmxer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: North Dakota
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Low. This is how I remember seeing most of them mounted. The FSM says high though. I think I will go the low route. Thanks.

Abuddy of mine is coming up this weekend. I am goig to try to get the spare DR running so we can go for a little ride.
Not really on topic here.. but if that is your bike, how do you like the mirror? An old guy runs a bike shop in town and has one of those mirrors. Today I had him order me the 2nd one.. haven't yet payed for either. Do they stay in place in a headwind? Viewing angle sufficient? Are they wide enough to see around shoulders with a jacket on? Thanks.
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #15891
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mustangwagz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Western PA
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverbmxer View Post
Not really on topic here.. but if that is your bike, how do you like the mirror? An old guy runs a bike shop in town and has one of those mirrors. Today I had him order me the 2nd one.. haven't yet payed for either. Do they stay in place in a headwind? Viewing angle sufficient? Are they wide enough to see around shoulders with a jacket on? Thanks.
i have these mirrors, as well as a few other members. i have no problem with mine. infact i really like em. Can fold em down, wind dont mess with em to much unless ya dont set the "ball/socket" tight enough. Field of view is pretty decent too. SOMETIMES, a big coat will get in way of LH mirror's view though, dpends how ya mount it.
__________________
-WagZ-
'93 DR350S

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #15892
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life
 
jackanory's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
There's pretty much no situation that the float level needs to be adjusted. I've heard a lot of people give this as advice but the metal tab is not really something that's meant to be adjusted. Unless you're really convinced that the PO did something to it, it's very unlikely to be the issue.
I hope you're right because I'm going to bend it back relatively flat when I tear into the carb again this weekend. I had it bent at a crazy angle and it really didn't affect the fuel level much, it always wants to be at a level just a little under the bottom of the fuel inlet.

From looking at the float design of that carb and tinkering with it a bunch there doesn't seem to be much adjustment built into the system. You can bend that tab as much as you want (I did!) and it just isn't going to close off the fuel much sooner.

Unless of course I'm missing something which is entirely possible.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #15893
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: LA face with the Oakland booty
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richklr650 View Post
you guys wont believe this pulled the clutch cover off because its hard to find neutral and was popping out of 3rd gear shift drum bolt is mia found it down in the bottom of the motor how lucky is that woo hoo '
any how my question is is there a washer that goes with it i put it back in but the drum has a little in and out play is this normal thanks Rich
I went through the same issue. No washer on the bolt and it should have a little play. I somehow managed to bend the little L shaped bracket while reinstalling the shift drum bolt. No idea how I did it but be very careful with it.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #15894
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider
 
Anonawesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Central OH
Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
I hope you're right because I'm going to bend it back relatively flat when I tear into the carb again this weekend. I had it bent at a crazy angle and it really didn't affect the fuel level much, it always wants to be at a level just a little under the bottom of the fuel inlet.

From looking at the float design of that carb and tinkering with it a bunch there doesn't seem to be much adjustment built into the system. You can bend that tab as much as you want (I did!) and it just isn't going to close off the fuel much sooner.

Unless of course I'm missing something which is entirely possible.
Typically the float needle sits just at the base of the metal tab, so usually bending it does nothing.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #15895
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché
 
OldUKBikerGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Oddometer: 26
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
i have these mirrors, as well as a few other members. i have no problem with mine. infact i really like em. Can fold em down, wind dont mess with em to much unless ya dont set the "ball/socket" tight enough. Field of view is pretty decent too. SOMETIMES, a big coat will get in way of LH mirror's view though, dpends how ya mount it.
Yep, I've got a pair of exactly the same mirrors on my bike and find them perfect for street riding - even over here, on the 'proper' side of the road!

I've got mine set wider and lower, resting on the brush-guards, which makes them more stable and gives an ever better field of view, especially with a pillion rider.
OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #15896
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona, United States
Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverbmxer View Post
Not really on topic here.. but if that is your bike, how do you like the mirror? An old guy runs a bike shop in town and has one of those mirrors. Today I had him order me the 2nd one.. haven't yet payed for either. Do they stay in place in a headwind? Viewing angle sufficient? Are they wide enough to see around shoulders with a jacket on? Thanks.
Yes, that is my DR350.

The Ken Sean dual sport mirrors are the best I ever found - until my friend (Mike Sonzini) showed me the Doubletake mirrors he was using on his bikes. I think the Doubletake is superior because it stays in place better and is *much* easier to adjust. Last year I replaced the mirror in the photo with the Doubletake mirror, and I really like it. I'm going to fit another one to my right side soon.

The Doubletake mirror and requisite mounts are certainly more expensive than the Ken Sean mirror, no doubt about that.

Here is a link to the Doubletake website:
http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Or, if you want to buy them from my friend for the same price, just send him a PM via ADVRider (username: quota).

You can also purchase the correct ball mount and 3" arm through some place like GPS City:
https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-m1...inch-ball.html
https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-me...am-b-201u.html

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #15897
MattR302
Awesomeness, Inc.
 
MattR302's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: New Haven-ish, CT
Oddometer: 75
Newbie to tube-style tires here...

Putting a set of street tires on a spare set of rims for my bike - are heavy-duty tubes better for street tires, or are do they only really make a difference for off-road riding with low tire pressures?

Thanks.
__________________
-MATT
2007 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
1999 Honda CBR600F4 - Track
1998 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous
MattR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #15898
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer
 
FireDog45's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Central, Ohio
Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Yes, that is my DR350.

The Ken Sean dual sport mirrors are the best I ever found - until my friend (Mike Sonzini) showed me the Doubletake mirrors he was using on his bikes. I think the Doubletake is superior because it stays in place better and is *much* easier to adjust. Last year I replaced the mirror in the photo with the Doubletake mirror, and I really like it. I'm going to fit another one to my right side soon.

The Doubletake mirror and requisite mounts are certainly more expensive than the Ken Sean mirror, no doubt about that.

Here is a link to the Doubletake website:
http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Or, if you want to buy them from my friend for the same price, just send him a PM via ADVRider (username: quota).

You can also purchase the correct ball mount and 3" arm through some place like GPS City:
https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-m1...inch-ball.html
https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-me...am-b-201u.html

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Big +1 on the Doubletake mirror! I went through two other types before popping for these. I can now actually see behind me (I couldn't get Ken Sean's out far enough to get a clear view).

I tested these on my first trail ride when I forgot to fold them in. I wapped a tree limb and they just moved out of the way. I was able to fold them out of the way and then back up when I got back on the road. They're pricey but well worth it IMHO. I too plan on getting another one for the right side.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #15899
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: DFW TX
Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
Newbie to tube-style tires here...

Putting a set of street tires on a spare set of rims for my bike - are heavy-duty tubes better for street tires, or are do they only really make a difference for off-road riding with low tire pressures?

Thanks.
I tried them for off road and didn't like them. Wound up throwing them away. Way too heavy, and wouldn't take a patch. I use standard tubes and toss em if they are old or have to many holes/patches. I use this stop leak stuff in the DR and Transalp... http://powersportstireseal.com/
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #15900
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life
 
jackanory's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Typically the float needle sits just at the base of the metal tab, so usually bending it does nothing.
That has been my experience exactly.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014