Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #646
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
No gps, will something like google maps or some app read them??
Tropic-Of-Canada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #647
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydr View Post
I'm located half way up the Island in Campbell River. Also on DSBC with the same monicker. Been through the Gold River / Woss connector twice this year and the Cumberland / Port Alberni connector twice. Mostly ride the back Roads between Campbell River, Gold River, Sayward triangle. I'm retired so I can get out and ride most any day I want. Anyone in the area that wants some company on a ride let me know. Cheers and safe riding.
How was the road between Alberni and Cumberland? Gates?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #648
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
No gps, will something like google maps or some app read them??
You could try downloading Garmin Basecamp onto your computer and then you should be able to bring up and view the track files I send...

The GPS is a right handy device you should invest in, even the lower price units {$100} will take in the track files ... I have used the GPS for years {since they first came out}, mainly for hiking in the mountains and on military exercises... It is only a few years ago that I actually installed one on the bike and this was mainly for supplying track files for people who took part in my organized rides... Before that I was printing out a whole bunch of maps to give out to the rider groups, this was so time consuming as the area we were covering often required 8 or more map page printouts per person... While I do like the paper maps, I find myself using the GPS on the bike a lot more than I ever expected... I can send the track files to the whole group in one E-mail instead of using up volumes of ink and paper to print out the info...

When hiking in the mountains the GPS can be a lifesaver... There are times where I have hiked for miles above the treeline in the rugged peaks, only to have a band of cloud roll in on me cutting visibility to zero... Now try finding your way back without any visual reference and only a compass to give you direction... How do you find the right spur to head down or the right valley to exit through when you can't see past the end of your nose... Before GPS I used to hang ribbons at obvious waypoints to mark my exit trail, but when the mountain cloud rolls in finding the ribbons sometimes became a real trial ... I still carry map and compass as a backup as the GPS being an electronic device can fail when you least expect it...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #649
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Anyone on the south Island put off by the lit safety notice signs over the Malahat lately?

"MOTORCYCLISTS WATCH YOUR SPEED" it says.....

Isn't there something on the books about police not being allowed to target specific types of motorists in regards to enforcement/road checks?

Just my little rant, I haven't ranted for a while...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #650
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
The same warning was displayed on the overheads heading east from Kamloops on Sunday. Kinda ticked me off.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #651
Twinsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
We are targets.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #652
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Meh, it doesn't matter to me just sit at the rest area on top of the Malahat and watch the racer boys go boy and it will become clear why they posted the warning. Just like every single stereo type out there this one is based on reality. No worries about being a target either you only get speeding tickets if you choose to.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #653
Markaso del Norte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey, another south Island rider here. I ride a 2007 Dl650. I try to pretend I have a dual sport, But I usually find my bikes off road limits on off shoots of logging roads. I love to get away from the city though, and find new places to explore. I just did the Port Renfrew/ Gordon River/ Lake Cowichan loop. Managed to bring back a driveway full of mud.
Markaso del Norte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #654
Spetz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Been a stalker on the forums for a little bit now. Living in Colwood with a 2012 KLR 650. The new bike hasn't seen dirt yet but do a lot of exploring in my Jeep.

Always up for a ride.
Spetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #655
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetz View Post
Been a stalker on the forums for a little bit now. Living in Colwood with a 2012 KLR 650. The new bike hasn't seen dirt yet but do a lot of exploring in my Jeep.

Always up for a ride.
I'm in VIc with a 11'DL650, ill go for a ride anytime and help you get some dirt on that KLR of yours.

On a side note only 12 more days on this steel box people call a ship then its a month of sunshine (fingures crossed) and rubber on the road!
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #656
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsport View Post
We are targets.
i don't think its a target thing, but more a statistic thing, according to ICBC motorcyclists have a 100% accident rate, basically you own a bike, you WILL get in an accident, whether it is minor or major.
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #657
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
i don't think its a target thing, but more a statistic thing, according to ICBC motorcyclists have a 100% accident rate, basically you own a bike, you WILL get in an accident, whether it is minor or major.
Sounds to me like the statistics and pie charts are a bit skewed...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #658
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Sounds to me like the statistics and pie charts are a bit skewed...
If you think in avearges it's probably not far off, for every good rider there's a bad one that mas multiple claims.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #659
whowardb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Ssi

Hi

I'm not from Vanisle but another island a couple hundred metres east across the Narrows. Haven't got water wings yet so it's a ferry ride to get over there. Most of my riding is on asphalt but gravel and dirt are ok. Mud is an abomination as I'm no longer sprightly enough to spring off when my bike (an '09 F650GS2 or 658 or however one distinguishes it from a thumper) goes down.

Lookin to meet some or all of you.
whowardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #660
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Hey there, are there decent trails on Saltspring? seen much in the way of singletrack? I've been looking at the south west part of the island on the maps, Mt. Twan area, thinking it looks promising for dual-sporting...