Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
showerfan OP
i shower with my duc

Oddometer: 14
Talking headed to the Alps, got no plan...

what up, ADV? i'm new here, usually hang out on Ducati forums. but i am headed to the Alps on friday and i have no plans for the following week other than a BMW k1300s and sleeping in cheap hotels.

any tips would be greatly appreciated, never ridden in the mountains before. never ridden a k-bike. don't know what i'm doing or were i'll go, though i think i'll start with the grossglockner road: http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hocha...asse/motorrad/

i would really welcome any and all advice! i was thinking of heading south, to bologna. but really no plans at all... just want to ride!
showerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
what up, ADV? i'm new here, usually hang out on Ducati forums. but i am headed to the Alps on friday and i have no plans for the following week other than a BMW k1300s and sleeping in cheap hotels.

any tips would be greatly appreciated, never ridden in the mountains before. never ridden a k-bike. don't know what i'm doing or were i'll go, though i think i'll start with the grossglockner road: http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hocha...asse/motorrad/

i would really welcome any and all advice! i was thinking of heading south, to bologna. but really no plans at all... just want to ride!
Stay to the right side of the road as much as possible while on the Grossglockner. Them speed bikes will be going by you in the same lane!
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
justin.
n00b

Oddometer: 8
a lot of passes will still be shut, but if you ignore the closed signs and barriers and ride up as far as you can you'll have a great time. if you get caught just plead ignorance and be very appologetic, worked for us.
justin
justin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:

Sounds like you've got it all in hand already!

Grossglockner is 'open' as of May 1 but check for the current situation. If it isn't open, you can try the parallel roads to the east and west. All three go to Lienz and from there you can run down to the Dolomites, which are primo. Great stuff SW of Cortina, which is not to say that is the only good area.

Most of the Alps passes are still closed until June 1 generally, except for the low ones and those that carry the most traffic.

Bologna? If it's just a way to get more to the south, I'd recommend that you go via Modena and then pick up SS12 to Lucca. Lots of good riding all around Florence and then there's Tuscany.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Just ride 'tll ya puke, there's no bad roads in the Alps.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
...but i am headed to the Alps on friday and i have no plans for the following week other than a BMW k1300s and sleeping in cheap hotels.
Sounds like a plan

One question - where are you starting from?

The Glockner is open - but weather happens.

With a week, I'd do something like this:

Grossglockner

Nockalmstrasse

Drop south into Villach and then west into the Dolomites.
Get a room for at least 3 nights in either Arabba or Corvara in Badia.
Overdose on some of the best roads and scenery in the world - the roads WILL be open, as this is a major year-round tourist area - but you'll be there between seasons, so no crowds.

Dress warmly - you'll be at altitude and at the latitude of Quebec.

South of the Alps, you'll be in a densely populated area with lots of slow traffic. Not fun. If you REALLY want to go to Bologna (actually Borgo Paginale, I assume), head south from Cortina and pick up the Autostrada at Ponte nelle Alpi (about 67 kms south of Cortina) and take that to Borgo Paginale (about 300 kms). You'll get the same scenery without the slow traffic, and you can let the K bike loose. A bit

If you do go to Borgo - about 40 kms west is Maranello and the Ferarri museum - it would be a shame not to pick up the two-fer.

50 days until I'm in the air for another 3 fun-filled weeks in those hills

And, as Jim said,

Quote:
Just ride 'till ya puke, there's no bad roads in the Alps.
BTW - 250 - 300 kms/day makes for a busy day. Speeds are low and stops for pics, etc. are frequent. Don't plan on US style distances.

My 2011 ride stats over 15 riding days - which has been pretty consistent over the years:

The "Max Speed" was probably on the Nurburgring Nordschliefe.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures

MichaelJ screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 05:13 AM
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
showerfan OP
i shower with my duc

Thumb

first of all, thank you! you are awesome. exactly the kind of experienced advice i was hoping to find on this forum

so i will be starting in munich -- picking up a bike from bmw. do you think the k-bike is suitable? i normally ride sportbikes, so i figured it was a good compromise between the RR and something meant to carry gear (and they don't have any new GS's right now).

i don't really have to go to borgo panigale, i just thought it would be a fun ride, with a cool destination. but if i'm having more fun cruising the hilly roads of the alps or the dolomites, i will just hang around at high altitude instead!

speaking of that, you say to dress warmly -- do you mean like perforated leathers (alpinestars in the alps) and a layer or two under, or should i wear my winter touring gear, like gore-tex held stuff?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
showerfan OP
i shower with my duc

Question bump bump

renewed question about GEAR -- anyone know what i should expect from the weather in the ALPS?? i figure i can wear my perf leather track pants ad jacket from A*?

or do i need full GORE winter gear?

heated gloves?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
justin.
n00b

Oddometer: 8
last time i was there was early june, in the valleys the temp was mid 20's degrees C (hotter on the Italian side), and at the top of the passes was below 0.
we generally stopped halfway up and changed summer gloves for thicker ones, add another layer and to put a neck buff on.

i was riding a speed triple so no fairing.
justin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
renewed question about GEAR -- anyone know what i should expect from the weather in the ALPS?? i figure i can wear my perf leather track pants ad jacket from A*?

or do i need full GORE winter gear?

heated gloves?
Plan on it being in the low single digits, celcius, at altitude.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #11
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...do you think the k-bike is suitable?
First of all, ride what makes you smile.

That being said - in the mountains, you're better off with a GS or equivalent. What you will want is something with low end grunt and quick steering. You will appreciate these features on your first uphill right handed hairpin.

This is not to say that you can't do it with a cruiser or sportbike, just that you'll do a lot more work.

This is what I'm presently riding:

but I will say that the GSs that I rented were better suited. I've got the low end on this bike, but the front end is kicked out a bit far for those uphill right-handers.

Of course, not paying $150/day or so for a rental helps ease the pain.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
.. anyone know what i should expect from the weather in the ALPS?? i figure i can wear my perf leather track pants ad jacket from A*?
You will freeze your ass off at altitude with the perf gear (the pic in the last post was taken in July).

I'd recommend good "waterproof" textile gear. My personal choice is a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket w/liner and Aerostich Darien pants. I also carry two pair of gloves - a thin "summer" pair and a heavier set if I hit cold weather.

With the gear above, I've been comfy over a range of temps, and having the gore-tex material means that I don't have to mess with separate rain gear.

And it will be warmer on the southern (Italian) side of the Alps.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
can't go wrong, except for the valleys.
If you need inspiration, i did this a while back:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...herearewe.html
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
showerfan OP
i shower with my duc

thanks michael and tommy! packing now my Held Cardona touring jacket and Frontino pants -- both gore-tex with removeable liners. will have to pick up some warm, waterproof gloves over there.

leaving tonight! thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

We need a ride report when you get back. Take notes (and pics)